Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to ask thisisanicecage to repeat her experiment on internet insecurity

(160 Posts)
Consils Thu 10-Jan-13 18:16:29

she looked up the mumsnet history of a random poster and was able to find out names and addresses. I missed the end of the last thread and I am still curious.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MammaTJ Thu 10-Jan-13 18:58:23

ThisIsANiceCage do me please (probably shockingly easy).

Not really. If you don't want to be identifiable don't post identifiable details. I'm pretty open about where I live, my physical and mental health problems, my children etc. That's my choice.

IneedAgoldenNickname Thu 10-Jan-13 18:59:08

Can you do me too please smile

JingleUpTheHighway Thu 10-Jan-13 19:01:46

I do agree with protecting yourself .

I'm specifically talking about names and addresses though .

I just worry if its that easy to get someone's address from here ... In an extreme circumstance for example , someone has posted about domestic violence and a quick search outs them .

I know that's extreme but still sounds like its possible !

It's scary !

O ooo, do me!!!

JingleUpTheHighway Thu 10-Jan-13 19:06:13

Was the last thread deleted for some reason?

Jingle I think you've missed all the posts explaining that the details were only communicated by PM.

EduCated Thu 10-Jan-13 19:08:04

I was just thinking about this earlier. I don't think it would actually take a lot to identify me.

And I think it was in Chat so it would have disappeared. It was a year or two ago though so I'm not certain.

Consils Thu 10-Jan-13 19:09:22

I think that the last thread was posted in chat.

EduCated Thu 10-Jan-13 19:17:45

MammaTJ I would offer to do yours, but I've had a fair old head start wink

Oooh, do me, do me! Please. If you're looking for volunteers. I'm curious.

noblegiraffe Thu 10-Jan-13 19:24:09

Did you get names and addresses from working it out from people's posts or is it somehow accessible from the mumsnet user database? (I can't remember providing an address on sign-up?)

ThisIsANiceCage Thu 10-Jan-13 19:25:25

Yep, thread was in Chat.

It was completely terrifying to do, so very invasive even when people had given permission. It dawned on me part way through that it was lucky neither of my stalkees or their nearest and dearest had skeletons in their closets - or if they had, they were very well hidden. Imagine finding someone's DP was having an affair.confused

Jingle, yes, your DV scenario is exactly one of the reasons I wanted to highlight this. If you're aware and comfortable with how much you're giving away, that's great. Some people really are. But I don't think that's everyone.

I haven't watched this yet, but Channel 4's programme yesterday looks relevant: Don't Blame Facebook.

ThisIsANiceCage Thu 10-Jan-13 19:26:22

Worked it out from posts, noblegiraffe, plus google, etc.

(Off to do dinner, will be back later.)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

catgirl1976 Thu 10-Jan-13 19:28:32

Oooh do me

I'm skeptical and feel secure

JingleUpTheHighway Thu 10-Jan-13 19:28:36

puddlejumper

I haven't missed the posts . I understand that The names and addresses weren't posted , but it still un nerves me to know someone can do this whether they posted the details or not .

However , I've just seen the post about it being in chat years ago and consils op about asking to repeat the experiment .

So I think the penny has dropped !

Was the original stalker type thread years ago and consil wants to repeat the experiment now ? confused

I was under the impression this was recent .

<outs self of having massive paranoia issues. Locks doors and windows and grabs a bat >

cinnamonnut Thu 10-Jan-13 19:31:17

Ooh I'd love it if you could do me shock

JingleUpTheHighway Thu 10-Jan-13 19:32:43

So would you have needed to have provided details in your posts of where you live or live near etc to be able to do this ?

I'll volunteer, would be interesting to see if you could find anything out.
I'm not particularly secretive on here, I don't think.

Consils Thu 10-Jan-13 19:33:22

It wasn't a stalker thread. It was highlighting the lack of anonymity on a public forum.

I think the point is that a lot of people aren't aware of how much they post that can identify them. For example if you skim through my many thousands of posts you'll find out my MH diagnoses, my spinal diagnosis, where my children were born, the village I live in etc.

People tend not too post too much detail on a thread but when you put all the different threads together you can sometimes get a very clear picture of who and where a person is.

There have been a lot of new posters in the last couple of years and it's always worth making people aware that their posts are searchable by anyone with internet access and that anyone can find out who and where they are if they've let enough details slip.

ThisIsANiceCage Thu 10-Jan-13 19:43:37

I invited people to invite me to cyberstalk them, a year or two ago.

Then I did the first person to reply, plus one other. I'd no idea how far I'd really get, so was shocked that I was able to get so much.

I'd suggest everyone, just to see, googles themselves right now. Put your name in quotes (try a couple of variations if necessary). Then try again and add your town, or a previous town, or your school/university.

You'll get multiple results - but for some of you it wouldn't take much more info to work out which of those results is you.

So if I've worked out your name - or your family's names - from MN, that's you located.

(I also use some other publicly available websites, but again I'm trying not to write a stalker's charter here.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now