to ask thisisanicecage to repeat her experiment on internet insecurity

(160 Posts)
Consils Thu 10-Jan-13 18:16:29

she looked up the mumsnet history of a random poster and was able to find out names and addresses. I missed the end of the last thread and I am still curious.

ThisIsANiceCage Thu 10-Jan-13 18:19:10

Oi! grin

Consils Thu 10-Jan-13 18:21:04

It is a public health warning; a public service. You could do me but I don't think that I have posted enough. It was brilliant!

BirthdayWishes Thu 10-Jan-13 18:34:30

tianc did you do any name changers? and if so were you able to find out any info about them?

Consils Thu 10-Jan-13 18:38:35

She found out the colour of their front door.

ThisIsANiceCage Thu 10-Jan-13 18:40:55

Namechangers are harder, but in practice a lot of people have nicknames people use when talking to them. And quiches are a dead giveaway.

Hmm. Trying not to create a stalker's guide here.

But definitely use a unique nc if you want to discuss something sensitive...

IneedAgoldenNickname Thu 10-Jan-13 18:45:00

I'm worried now that I might be totally identifiable! I hope not!

ThisIsANiceCage Thu 10-Jan-13 18:45:51

TBF, I only got one front door - the other stalkee had moved too recently.

IIRC, it was wood with glass panel. And a dead plant hanging at the side StreetView may be out of date now. Can't remember if the much-posted-about car was nearby - could have got the numberplate, if so...

It's all vv scary.

Proudnscary Thu 10-Jan-13 18:46:04

I don't think it's wise or fair to highlight this

Proudnscary Thu 10-Jan-13 18:46:12

I don't think it's wise or fair to highlight this

It's interesting but tbh I don't care whether I'm identifiable in real life! grin

JingleUpTheHighway Thu 10-Jan-13 18:48:52

Is this true? I don't think this is acceptable At all!!

(Not aimed at you thisisanicecage ) but more over the security of mumsnet !

Where is the other thread ?

What security of Mumsnet? It's a public forum!

Consils Thu 10-Jan-13 18:50:06

proudnscary I think it is both wise and fair to highlight this. That is the point.

Proudnscary Thu 10-Jan-13 18:51:04

It's a public but anonymous forum

Proudnscary Thu 10-Jan-13 18:52:08

And before you lecture me on Internet security, you know what I mean. It is meant to be anonymous as we all have nicknames and presumably we all prefer it that way.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JingleUpTheHighway Thu 10-Jan-13 18:53:19

puddlejumper yes it's a public forum - but I know I certainly didn't provide consent to have my name and address displayed . (Theoretically speaking ).

Did you ?

From what I remember of the original thread no details were made public - posters asked the OP of the thread to investigate them and were PMed the results. Happy to be corrected though.

Consils Thu 10-Jan-13 18:54:24

This is a nice cage only did it to volunteers. There were plenty of volunteers.

ThisIsANiceCage Thu 10-Jan-13 18:54:33

As TheJoyfulPuddleJumper says, there is no security of MN. We're publishing our innermost thoughts on a globally-searchable website that comes high up the google rankings for loads of searches.

People in Mongolia know about LaQueen's F&B fixation. TheSecondComing's minge.

Consils Thu 10-Jan-13 18:55:11

Yes, no details were made public.

Now there's a thought This! Someone in Siberia is rapt reading my mental health threads. grin

ThisIsANiceCage Thu 10-Jan-13 18:56:04

Yep, just PM'd or emailed results. Though it was all from MN postings + publicly available sources. Anyone with time on their hands could have done it.

JingleUpTheHighway Thu 10-Jan-13 18:57:01

I agree in the sense that its public and your posts can be seen, but do you not find it a bit un-Nerving that you could see people name and addresses ??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now