to think MN shouldn't support boots co-advertising newborn bottle sets and "follow on" milk

(902 Posts)
ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 12:30:00

when there's a national campaign on to promote BF?

Presumably this advert passes the letter of the law regarding the non-advertising/non-special offers on formula for new born's but it defies the spirit in every way possible.

AIBU to expect a little more social responsibility from MN?

sockmuppet Thu 10-Jan-13 12:56:29

OP

Can you at least admit that militant opinions on FF like your OP could cause mothers who physically can't to feel bad?

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 10-Jan-13 12:56:44

YABU because you seem to think that, just because something is advertised on MN, women are so easily led that they can't make a decision for themselves.

Sirzy Thu 10-Jan-13 12:57:14

I am sure you can provide a link to the evidence to back up this claim.

I didn't base my decision to switch to formula on adverts. I based it on hating breastfeeding ( no pb with others doing it, just loathed doing it myself). I can't believe that anyone would choose to ff based on adverts, and that ff companies should be allowed to advertise responsibly.

fairylightsandtinsel Thu 10-Jan-13 12:57:36

Op you seem to be suggesting that there is something wrong with FF. It is food for babies, it isn't bad for them, just maybe not as perfect as the naturally available alternative (which isn't always available). Why would it be irresponsible to inform consumers that a product exists in various brands which will allow them to give nutrients to their newborn when for whatever reason they cannot or do not wish to BF or exclusively BF.

Whatnameforme Thu 10-Jan-13 12:57:56

I agree with ICB, I was going to bf my children but then tescos had a special offer on SMA. £1.00 off, I thought it would be cheaper than free breast milk so I went with that!
With my second child the baby in the cow and gate advert was so cute I had to ff!
ICB you sound a bit weak if you are unable to see an advert and yet still make an educated decision.

ledkr Thu 10-Jan-13 12:58:08

sock op doesn't address any questions which don't support her theory sorry.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 10-Jan-13 12:58:21

Advertising newborn formula is illegal. Advertising newborn bottles alongside follow-on formula is cutting that line very fine IMO.

There is a reason it is illegal to advertise newborn formula, because as a general rule longterm health outcomes are better for BF babies than babies who have only been FF.

It is obviously up to individuals what to do, but IMO MN shouldn't be sailing so close to the law.

littleladyindoors Thu 10-Jan-13 12:59:45

I am pregnant with my first baby, I am obviously weighing up the advantages and disadvantages of feeding, and of course I want to try to BF and give that a go, because I feel that is the best for my baby.
I am however, a bit scared and unsure because I havent done this before and I dont know what it will be like. The fact that Boots have an offer on doesnt make me think-dya know what? Ill just FF.
Its people like you who make us new mums feel like if we cannot BF or choose not to then we are the scum of the earth and we should just ring SS now and get it over with.
BTW I have bought bottles, because they came with my breast pump. And actually, I appreciate the adverts because this baby thing can be pretty expensive and its good to know what is out there.
As I can figure, most women who have babies are ADULTS and therefore really should be able to make a decision based on knowledge not on Boots latest offer

katzen Thu 10-Jan-13 13:00:18

Yawn, so everyone at university has been exclusively breast fed then.

ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 13:00:27

I am sorry that some people are insecure/unhappy about the feeding method they chose/were forced into by circumstance. That is indeed a massive issue with the BF campaign.

But it is also important that pregnant women are given every opportunity to opt for BF (if they are able).

Actually removing FF adverts would be a kinder way of moving people (who have the choice) towards BF than the current guilt tripping done in antenatal classes.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 10-Jan-13 13:01:32

There is also a staggering degree of naivety on this thread about the effects of advertising on our decisions. It is not so simple as 'see Cow&Gate advert, decide to switch to formula'.

And actually, in Britain or any other Western country with a clean water supply it isn't a huge issue.
What is a huge issue is the massive revenues from Western markets being ploughed into the advertising and distribution of formula in the developing world where it kills babies because bottles are made up with filthy, disease-carrying water.

Vagaceratops Thu 10-Jan-13 13:01:36

How do you know that people who want to express milk wont be buying the bottle sets?

katzen Thu 10-Jan-13 13:01:41

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

DolomitesDonkey Thu 10-Jan-13 13:02:08

YAB quite crackers to expect MN not to support feeding children.

AnyaKnowIt Thu 10-Jan-13 13:02:32

So you really think that women are that stupid, they would rather spend £££ on formula then bf because they have seen an ad?

Do you buy EVERYTHING you see an ad for then?

WorraLiberty Thu 10-Jan-13 13:02:41

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

sockmuppet Thu 10-Jan-13 13:02:45

Op

Who on here has said they were unhappy with their choice of feeding?

I think the ONLY person upset with feeding ways is you about other people.

I'll ask again,

1) Do you put your kids a car?
2) Why do you care so much how others feed their children?

ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 13:02:48

katzen the data is very convincing that BF results in healthier babies on average than FF.

I am sure that you are also smart enough to realise the difference isn't large enough to be detectable to individuals.

mrsjay Thu 10-Jan-13 13:03:02

I am sorry that some people are insecure/unhappy about the feeding method they chose/were forced into by circumstance. That is indeed a massive issue with the BF campaign.

Oh that old chestnut you now feel sorry for FF babies and mothers you think they have been coerced into formula feeding and they should be sympathised as the system has failed them some what, hmm

sockmuppet Thu 10-Jan-13 13:03:14

Worra grin well spotted

grumpyinthemorning Thu 10-Jan-13 13:03:18

I have yet to meet a woman who FF because of an advert. They are advertising a choice. Which they are well within their rights to do.

We are not so weak-minded that we are swayed by advertising. Knowing what is best for your baby is a personal thing. All babies are different, as are all mothers.

Follow-on milk is for weaning, so not relevant.

Links to evidence? Prove to me women were swayed by advertising.

OP I haven't seen it as I've got an adblocker, but it sounds like it comes very close to breaking the Code on formula advertising and so YANBU.

Hemlet Thu 10-Jan-13 13:03:47

It's not banned, I've had quite a few leaflets advertising new born formula etc. I can understand that you feel strongly about it, but I have to disagree that the formula companies are advertising formula as a better alternative to breastmilk. It simply isn't the case. And as grumpy said, breastfeeding is free so no matter how cheap they advertise that's unlikely to be a factor.

I agree breast is best, I'm pregnant with my first, I have no idea if I'll be able to feed my baby naturally or not. But if there were a problem I would appreciate knowing how to progress the best way for my child, which is why it's useful for these companies to advertise their wares.

You seem stuck on the assumption that because they're advertising formula they're denouncing breastfeeding in the process. It's not a typical product where they say 'this is better than anything else', apart from competing against other formulas.

PolkadotCircus Thu 10-Jan-13 13:04:20

Op I started bf, after 6 weeks I switched to ff because bf was shit and made me and all 3 of my dc miserable.

I was so worn out and rarely left the house(thanks to my bf purgatory) so wouldn't have noticed a ff advert if it slapped me round the face.As it was my first f purchase was a midnight mercy dash made by Dp upon which no influence was made by any f adverts ie if it was clean, a decent food for my babies,went in a bottle I didn't give a stuff who made it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now