to think MN shouldn't support boots co-advertising newborn bottle sets and "follow on" milk

(902 Posts)
ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 12:30:00

when there's a national campaign on to promote BF?

Presumably this advert passes the letter of the law regarding the non-advertising/non-special offers on formula for new born's but it defies the spirit in every way possible.

AIBU to expect a little more social responsibility from MN?

Fancydrawers Thu 10-Jan-13 12:48:36

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MrsMcEnroe Thu 10-Jan-13 12:48:53

Yes basically I mean what Hemlet said, only s/he said it much more eloquently and charmingly than I did!

sockmuppet Thu 10-Jan-13 12:49:26

OP

Sometimes advertiser spend money on advert for an already decided market to sell their product rather than a competitor don't you know.

I couldn't breast feed I don't unfortunately have the parts any more, I like to have choice even if it's through advertising.

ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 12:50:00

hemlet Then why ban newborn milk offers/advertising? If people think it's cheap they are more like to FF. Any amount of data shows that.

It makes no sense to have a national campaign to promote BF rates while simultaneously allowing formula companies to promote FF.

Sirzy Thu 10-Jan-13 12:50:14

The adverts are to encourage people to pick their brand of formula if they so wish,not to stop them breastfeeding.

I havent met anyone who has said "I decided not to breastfeed because of the cute toddlers on the cow and gate advert"

ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 12:50:42

fancy yes I do.

Do you?

sockmuppet Thu 10-Jan-13 12:51:13

OP

I really hope you don't put your kids in a car. Do you? Because that vehicle is probably a million more time detrimental to your children that FF.

And don't say a car is a necessity because it's not. However, for some women FF is a necessity. Are you opposed to ads on Kids car seats?

ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 12:51:38

sirzy well they do exist even if you don't know them personally. The NHS know that because they collect data. Hence the restrictions on advertising.

Fancydrawers Thu 10-Jan-13 12:52:01

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Trousers99 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:52:18

OP - I agree entirely with you

Won't enter into the debate though other than to offer my support/agreement

These boards make me shudder at times

PolkadotCircus Thu 10-Jan-13 12:52:25

And many of us want formula,want formula advertising and have children who have benefited massively from it.It's a food which is massively healthier than many,many foods advertised.

Actually I worry waaaay more about the additives,fat,salt,sugar in most foods advertised,screen time,the sedentary lifestyle kids lead,the lack of books many kids have access to etc,etc.

Lets berate the advertising of screen toys,games,most convenience food and anything that keeps kids sedentary and not reading in their spare time.Surely MN should have more social responsibility?

grumpyinthemorning Thu 10-Jan-13 12:52:30

OP, that's daft, a special offer is more expensive than breastfeeding, which is, y'know, free...

I couldn't breastfeed. And I will choose to FF any future children, because it was sooo much easier.

And FF children grow up just as strong as BF children. I'm living proof of that.

ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 12:53:04

sock lots of things are irresponsible in the advertising world...are you saying that until the big ones are cleared up we can't discuss the smaller ones?

mrsjay Thu 10-Jan-13 12:53:25

hese boards make me shudder at times

why shudder ?

ohdoone Thu 10-Jan-13 12:53:31

Militant attitudes such as the OP's only serve to put women off breast feeding IMO. I breast fed my first for a year, and on currently combination feeding the second. I love both ways. Socially irresponsible!!! Mind you don't fall off that horse of yours!

Sirzy Thu 10-Jan-13 12:53:50

Of course they do! The country is full of people who ff because of an advert - your comments are getting dafter and dafter!!

I know, let's lock formula behind doors like they do with cigarettes. Make sure everyone knows that it's not acceptable to feed your child formula even if that is the only/best thing for them.

sockmuppet Thu 10-Jan-13 12:54:29

OP

So you put your kids in a car then? You didn't answer?

nokidshere Thu 10-Jan-13 12:54:30

Of course you are being unreasonable.

You are assuming that women are too stupid to make up their own minds.

None of my 5 sisters BF and I can assure you not one of their reasons was because of advertising bottles or formula.

katzen Thu 10-Jan-13 12:54:36

<hollow laugh> at OP

FF is the unhealthy choice? eh?

No, actually you are right I've just realised I'm pureeing a big mac and putting it in a bottle.

Yawn!

weeper Thu 10-Jan-13 12:54:38

Sirzy Thu 10-Jan-13 12:55:14

Exactly polka

Woolfey Thu 10-Jan-13 12:55:18

Oh the old debate again...sigh
What's wrong with giving women choice?
And what about those of us who could not BF because their bodies wouldn't allow it?

ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 12:55:25

grumpy it may be daft but it really happens. People are more likely to FF if they are exposed to adverts and special offers than if they are not.

Lots of people see the adverts and BF anyway. Lots of people have no choice in the matter or FF for reasons that are unaffected by advertising. But some fraction of pregnant women are swayed by the adverts (and even admit it when asked by HCPs).

Weird but true.

Not every mother wants to breastfeed. Not every mother wants to have a natural birth. Not every mother wants to co-sleep with their child. Get over it OP.

wannabedreams Thu 10-Jan-13 12:56:05

Really???
Can you not advertise pizza, chocolate, biscuits, alcohol, CARS????
biscuit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now