to ask my neighbour to turn off their outdoor lights?

(44 Posts)
BuiltForComfort Thu 10-Jan-13 12:09:04

The back of my house faces the side of my neighbour's. They have a bright outdoor light that is on permanently, 24 hours a day. Not a motion-activated security light. If it weren't for the black-out blinds in ds's room he would never sleep as the light is so bright. It really annoys me because it is intrusive, unnecessary (safe area, difficult to access backs of houses and if you want a security light, get one that is motion activated!) and a waste of energy. I also don't think it's great for plants and wildlife as my back garden is never dark.

BUT - neighbour is a bit odd, I took ds round to ask for a ball back once and she was really off and seems to think I was impertinent even asking. she said she'd thrown the ball back (she hadn't). I don't think she'd think I was reasonable asking, AIBU?

VivaLeBeaver Thu 10-Jan-13 21:52:24

grin

Salmotrutta Thu 10-Jan-13 21:53:15

<snigger>

<hides from MNHQ>

VivaLeBeaver Thu 10-Jan-13 21:55:11

There'll be a klaxon going off in mn towers.

WifeofPie Thu 10-Jan-13 21:56:41

It's light pollution. Ask her nicely and if she doesn't cooperate, take it to the next level.

Salmotrutta Thu 10-Jan-13 21:57:32

And a security light ...

WifeofPie Thu 10-Jan-13 21:58:52

SIOB! shock

What do lights have to do with Mi... that poster?

Salmotrutta Thu 10-Jan-13 22:02:39

Security lighting was one of her finest works on a very entertaining thread.

She was BU but never admitted it.

EugenesAxe Thu 10-Jan-13 22:05:24

They are a nightmare aren't they? I have a love/hate relationship with my neighbour's ones.... two blaring out of the back of her house and I think one out the front.

1) They provide very necessary light for walking down our road at night, which the council don't oblige us with.

2) They spoil an otherwise very nice view of the night sky, on a clear night. And I haven't just got on the Stargazing Live bandwagon! My best mate and I used to go to country pubs and then lie on their garden benches and stare at Hale Bopp, when we were youthful.

HoneyDragon Thu 10-Jan-13 22:08:59

I have said this before on another thread that got deleted we changed our outside light when it broke.

About 6 wheels later our neighbour at the back asked if it was possible for us to move it. It was shining directly into their bedroom window.

We moved it immediately and asked why they hadn't mentioned it before to us, as we felt awful.

They'd spent 6 weeks wondering whether it was something you could mention or simply modern times and they hold put up with it sad

WifeofPie Thu 10-Jan-13 22:13:15

smile I miss all the good stuff.

JugsMcGee Thu 10-Jan-13 22:16:22

The back of my house faces the back of another that has a UFO-brightness security light that goes on regularly throughout the night. I've put a blackout blind in DS' bedroom but now he won't sleep elsewhere if the room isn't pitch black. So annoying.

Even black out blinds aren't good enough for me, I'm so grateful our street lights get switched off at night.

Hmmm, my Moo-dar needs to be properly set......grin

FeltOverlooked Thu 10-Jan-13 22:19:49

Our neighbours had one and I used to set it off whenever I did the dishes in our kitchen! They turned it off, though we never asked. Maybe it annoyed them, we just found it quite funny.

BuiltForComfort Thu 10-Jan-13 23:38:44

God I hope that poster isn't my neighbour! All the more reason not to pop over for a frustrating and circular discussion friendly chat about it on the doorstep. Given that asking for a ball back became difficult LightsGate could really escalate things...

BuiltForComfort Thu 10-Jan-13 23:40:40

Oh and they can't reposition the light, it's like a bulkhead design fully fixed in place. They rent so won't be up for or able to changing it without getting landlord involved.

HappyNewHissy Thu 10-Jan-13 23:46:26

You could report it to the landlord? Get CAB advice.

TurquoiseCat Thu 10-Jan-13 23:54:50

Nothing helpful to add, but it did make methinks of this

DoodlesNoodles Fri 11-Jan-13 00:11:21

Maybe, it's time to get your DS a late Christmas present grin

They will just have to get the LL involved then! Sorting it should be their problem, not yours smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now