To have come back from Lanzarote feeling geuinely shocked at how fat the British tourists were?

(655 Posts)
Illgetmycoat Thu 10-Jan-13 11:44:21

I'm not talking slightly plump, I mean seriously, morbidly obese. A whole different race to the German, French and Spanish tourists.

What is going on? When did our country become like this? Whenever you heard a british accent, it would be accompanied by a 3ft wide backside. And whole families, too, all swollen to gargantuan size, with the poor kids unable to put their feet together because of the rolls of fat on their legs.

How has this happened? What the heck are the Brits feeding their children to get them so large? How can you feed an eight year old you love so much food that they become morbidly obese?

It can't just be blamed on poverty, because it's not cheap going to Lanzarote.

I was shocked.

ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 12:33:40

folkgirl some people should be making noise about this issue. HCP should be trying to support people to make changes (as should the government). But some people should shut up because they are making the problem worse.

People indulging in "shock and horror" on internet forums are certainly in the second category.

NorhamGardens Thu 10-Jan-13 12:34:15

Richman that makes sense but what's odd is the richer they become the smaller they get? It's as if they come into a secret - all the designers too don't cater for anyone more than a small UK size 14. If you won the lottery and decided to dress exclusively in Chloe, Pucci and Gucci you'd likely have to lose a great deal of weight (if an average middle aged woman) to have a chance of fitting into the clothes.

TroublesomeEx Thu 10-Jan-13 12:34:44

It's true Freudian. The concept of snacking is a relatively recent phenomena (1960s onwards) so I think it's no surprise or coincidence that people have increased in size.

The diet of many people in this country is problematic. Some people might have health complications that exacerbate these problems, but in many cases people just don't understand the food they are eating.

NorhamGardens Thu 10-Jan-13 12:36:07

Isn't it about activity levels too FolkGirl? How many are truly active enough?

ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 12:37:01

worra well duh! If I think something on one thread, chances are Ill think the same on another. At least Im consistent.

What exactly is this collective hand wringing supposed to achieve?

Is anyone going to read this thread and think "oh shit - I was in Lanzarotte maybe I'm obese! Oh god I am!!!! I will give up my life of cake and eat lettuce forever! Thank you sooo much....etc. etc."

Or is it more likely that someone who is already down on themselves and their weight will see YET ANOTHER thread expressing shock and horror at how terrible fat people are and will sink just a little bit further into the darkness?

HeadFairy Thu 10-Jan-13 12:37:36

Sorry to be flippant, but I don't know how people manage to feed their children enough so they're obese by the time they're 8 or 9. I cannot get either of mine to eat or sit still long enough to eat at all. DS is rake thin - definitely not genetic as dh and I are definitely not (rake thin)!

Fluffy1234 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:38:01

I went to a hotel in Majorca last year for a few days where there were a lot of guests from other countries including a lot from France. I'm a size 10 and was definitely in the bigger half of women. I then went from the hotel onto a cruise which had a lot of British passengers and I felt I was quite 'slim' compared with other women, particularly my age, middle aged women. I don't normally notice but was a size 18 the year before so it was of my first 'bikini holidays' as a Size 10.

AmberLeaf Thu 10-Jan-13 12:38:09

I think you should be able to see a childs ribs

shock really?

OP you had better not visit america then if you think brits are overweight.

<I am aware not every american is overweight, but you will see some very large people?

XiCi Thu 10-Jan-13 12:38:30

I think part of the problem, and I see this a lot on MN, is that its fine to harshly criticize people who smoke, drink, take recreational drugs, but people who poison their bodies with sugar are deemed to be suffering from an 'illness' and so feel free to carry on stuffing their face with sweets and cake. There is a lot of greed about and it shows in our weight. And people who feed their kids crap and make them obese are just vile. There is no excuse for that at all

TroublesomeEx Thu 10-Jan-13 12:38:32

Well perhaps some people would rather take a bit of personal responsibility or not let it get to the stage when HCPs are involved.

Perhaps indulging in a big of shock and horror does work for some people who think "do you know what, actually, I do need to lose weight".

All sorts of different people respond to all sorts of different motivations and input. If it doesn't work for you, don't read the threads.

Personally, I find it does motivate me because I don't ever want people to be talking about me like that.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Thu 10-Jan-13 12:38:37

Folkgirl I live in HK where the vast majority of people are slim and I really think it is to do with not snacking because their meals aren't massively healthy. They really don't snack much at all, especially not on sweet stuff. They also dont drink much alcohol.

cantspel Thu 10-Jan-13 12:41:17

People have forgotten what is a healthy amount to eat and what a healthy size looks like. The was a thread on here only the other day from the mother of a 6 year old who was worried she could see the ribs on her 6 year old where people should worry if they cant.
Then others with thin children said how hard it is to get trousers to fit.
And it is only hard to get trousers for thin children as all clothing even childrens is being made bigger to try to fool us we are still a size 10.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Thu 10-Jan-13 12:41:44

One of the problems in the UK is that being overweight is so commonplace now that it is completely normalised- i.e. people who are a normal/average weight are overweight.

The issue is how to solve it. For people who like eating, the odds are really stacked against them- most people now do a sedentary job, public transport is rubbish so we use cars a lot, there is food EVERYWHERE.

FreudiansSlipper Thu 10-Jan-13 12:42:30

but it is shocking and it is horrifying how much bigger as a nation we are getting
we can not ignore this it is happening

and the change has been very sudden. It needs to change for younger generations they need to understand the importance of eating a balanced diet and exercise, not well if you put on weight you can lose it prevention is better than cure and that is what we have to get across

the vast majority of those who are over weight is down to the food we eat and lifestyle

TroublesomeEx Thu 10-Jan-13 12:42:41

Norham It is down to activity levels too, of course. I think there are a number of reasons why people are less active nowadays too.

FreudiansSlipper Thu 10-Jan-13 12:44:02

I agree with the food being everywhere. Why do you need to have nachos with cheese or a hotdog when you go to the cinema topped off with a huge fizzy drink then a bag of sweets to follow

TroublesomeEx Thu 10-Jan-13 12:44:48

I also think there's probably a middle ground between eating cake and eating "lettuce forever"

Kendodd Thu 10-Jan-13 12:44:50

"I think part of the problem, and I see this a lot on MN, is that its fine to harshly criticize people who smoke, drink, take recreational drugs, but people who poison their bodies with sugar are deemed to be suffering from an 'illness' and so feel free to carry on stuffing their face with sweets and cake. There is a lot of greed about and it shows in our weight. And people who feed their kids crap and make them obese are just vile. There is no excuse for that at all "

Agreed

NaicePig Thu 10-Jan-13 12:47:06

these problems are only going to increase

<stifles snigger>

How mad that we even think it could be poverty, poor people used to be stick-thin! Goes to show that if that's one of the factors that springs to mind we really do have a terrible problem with what we're selling for cheap in our supermarkets.

Selks Thu 10-Jan-13 12:47:53

FFS. Can people please quit with the attitude that fat people just stuff their and their children's faces, do no exercise and are not trying to lose weight! This thread is just perpetuating stereotypes.

I am fat but have spent a lifetime of dieting. I know what healthy eating is and do so most of the time. I also exercise. But I have a complex psychological relationship with food...it is a work in progress. I know this thread is not about me but I get sick of hearing the stereotypes blindly peddled. angry

Mumsyblouse Thu 10-Jan-13 12:48:01

Fluffy1234 I have had exactly the same experience, when I went to visit my husband's country, here in the Uk I am a standard size person, certainly not the fattest at the school gates, in my husband's country (EU) I am huge and can't find clothes to fit.

To the person who said how come I don't know any obese people- either you move in very exclusive circles in which no obese people are allowed or you are closing your eyes when you walk down the road. Obese IS quite normal now, for about 1/4 of the adult population. And over 50% of us are overweight. Thats why it looks normal, it's only when you go abroad and see other people of similar ages but not from the UK, you suddenly notice it. Countries like France and Spain have some overweight people but a much smaller minority, and in Eastern Europe, most of the 30-40 somethings are really much slimmer than in the UK.

It doesn't make me want to eat more knowing this, I feel fine about it, just have to brace myself when shopping for clothes abroad!

TroublesomeEx Thu 10-Jan-13 12:50:07

I agree with the normalising and dress sizes too.

When I was 18 I was 8st and wore size 10/12.

I'm now 20 years older, weigh 10st currently and still wear size 10/12 clothes!

Onezerozero Thu 10-Jan-13 12:50:44

That's probably true sparkle, that we don't recognise overweight as overweight so much now.

LifeofPo Thu 10-Jan-13 12:52:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsMelons Thu 10-Jan-13 12:52:09

I actually think YANBU. I don't think you sound 'fattist' at all. I think it is a well known fact that it is a huge problem in the UK.

We went to a Haven site with DS1 a few years back and I was shocked at how many teenager were extremely overweight.

I had an 8 mo baby and most of the young girls had much bigger hips/tummies than me at 12/13 years old. When I was at school most children that age were pretty thin, there were honestly only 1 or 2 overweight children in a whole year group (I went to a massive secondary school) - I am 33.

I think it is really sad and worrying as although people should be happy with their bodies and not feel the pressure to be a size zero etc they should also be healthy as well. At the pre-school I was involved in there was more than 1 child whose parents obviously thought a giant sausage roll, a grab bag of crisps, a choc mini roll and a fruit shoot was a normal packed lunch. Often coke and crisps when coming in the morning also.

We go on cruises for holidays and the older generation of passengers are in general much slimmer that the under 40's. It is very very obvious there is a major issue in this country.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now