To have come back from Lanzarote feeling geuinely shocked at how fat the British tourists were?

(655 Posts)
Illgetmycoat Thu 10-Jan-13 11:44:21

I'm not talking slightly plump, I mean seriously, morbidly obese. A whole different race to the German, French and Spanish tourists.

What is going on? When did our country become like this? Whenever you heard a british accent, it would be accompanied by a 3ft wide backside. And whole families, too, all swollen to gargantuan size, with the poor kids unable to put their feet together because of the rolls of fat on their legs.

How has this happened? What the heck are the Brits feeding their children to get them so large? How can you feed an eight year old you love so much food that they become morbidly obese?

It can't just be blamed on poverty, because it's not cheap going to Lanzarote.

I was shocked.

Trills Thu 10-Jan-13 12:10:44

I went to an all-inclusive resort in Lanzarote in September and most people were of "normal" size, with no particular distinction between people from different countries.

YANBU. I've noticed this when abroad too, that usually the really fat people are British. And the really tall and really fat, or sometimes just really big people (like an average person but scaled up a few percent), are usually American.

LifeofPo Thu 10-Jan-13 12:13:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CelineMcBean Thu 10-Jan-13 12:13:35

All inclusive in Lanzarote? Sounds utterly grim.

Perhaps try self-catering camping on the continent if an ample bottom offends? They have culture and everything so you can skip the all day bar and go to a museum or gallery.

I went to Tenerife once. It was devoid of any kind of personality or culture. Horrible.

sparkle12mar08 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:14:47

We've totally forgotten as a national just how slim healthy actually is, and similarly how slim overweight is, iyswim. At between 5'3 and 5'7 any woman over about 10st 6 is overweight and at over 12st she's likely to be obese. Yes there are exceptions etc, etc, but you know what? As a nation there's now a higher chance that any individual is now at least overweight if not actually obese. And that's just shocking. Whjy are we doing this to ourselves?! And I say this as someone who is indeed overweight and I've been obese in the past too. But I'm trying and have made enormous progress in the last year that I'm now working on consolidating and then moving on again. We tend to think of obese as meaning 20st + or something, but it really, really isn't, it's much, much less than that.

Boomerwang Thu 10-Jan-13 12:14:48

ICBINEG don't be so daft! I'm a fatty and I'm not about to stuff doughnuts down my neck because of this thread.

I am concerned about the size of kids. I think eating habits should be taught from a young age. Who eats dessert after every meal because that's how they were brought up? Who provides a huge pot of food and allows everyone to take their own portion because that's how mum did it? Who clears their plate out of habit because they feel guilty about leaving some behind?

I'm determined to get it right for my child so she doesn't end up with the same issues I've had.

LifeofPo Thu 10-Jan-13 12:14:50

LifeofPo Thu 10-Jan-13 12:16:15

ethelb Thu 10-Jan-13 12:17:50

@sparkle I am 5'2'' and because I have a small frame my bmi is overweight at 9stone8.

NorhamGardens Thu 10-Jan-13 12:18:35

IME the more expensive/exclusive the resort the less likely the tourists are to be overweight. You don't find many obese families at the Four Seasons but not so at much cheaper resorts in Spain etc. That's one thing that's always bemused me why are the seriously rich usually thin? Trainers? Chefs? etc.

Nancy66 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:18:49

People are getting bigger, we know that but I be surprised if a whole resort was filled with them.

acceptableinthe80s Thu 10-Jan-13 12:20:19

If that's the worst you saw in Lanzarote then i'd say you got off lightly. I went once a long time ago and saw drug busts, prostitutes galore, tourists being drugged/robbed you name it! Needless to say i've never been back.

ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 12:20:38

Boomer So what? Just because your fatness isn't self-esteem related you think no-one else's is?

There is research showing that the average response to being shamed over your weight is to gain.

BadLad Thu 10-Jan-13 12:21:21

There are a lot of overweight people in the UK. I noticed it the first time I came back after three years of living in the far east. Perhaps that had always been the case, and I just didn't notice it before.

3smellysocks Thu 10-Jan-13 12:22:24

People are getting bigger and it is really shocking and unhealthy.

sparkle12mar08 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:22:43

Exactly ethelb, I'm not much taller at 5'3 and should be somewhere between 8st and 9st 7 to be 'healthy'. I know there are flaws in the bmi concept, I know that some 'fat' people will be able to do a spin class better than an anorexic at 6st etc, etc, but we really need to wise up - most of us are overweight, and not just by 5lbs or so either. I'd hazard a guess that most women would benefit from losing at least a stone, if not closer to 20lbs. It's about health, not petty 'fashion', looks, etc. Nationally we are still in total denial.

ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 12:24:13

"People are getting bigger and it is really shocking and unhealthy."

Indeed, but wouldn't you rather be part of the solution than the problem?

All you have to do is keep your shock and horror at others appearance to yourself...

Onezerozero Thu 10-Jan-13 12:24:25

I only know a few obese people. Thinking about it, they are all Latin American or African immigrants.
Odd.
Why don't I know any obese people from Britain if there are so many about?

WorraLiberty Thu 10-Jan-13 12:28:33

ICBINEG you were trying to close this topic of conversation down on another thread the other day...claiming it will make some people eat more if they read it.

You can't expect people all over the internet to not discuss weight, smoking, alcohol or anything else just incase it makes people do more of it.

While this is still a free country, people can and will discuss their shock/dismay at how obese we have become as a nation.

sparkle12mar08 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:29:43

Probably becuase you don't even notice it Onezerozero - as I suggested upthread, do you think you've never seen anyone walking down the street who's not over 12st6? That's only about a size 14-16 in most retailers these days. You've really never seen anyone that size or greater? Because that's what obese is on a medical health basis...

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Thu 10-Jan-13 12:29:59

That's one thing that's always bemused me why are the seriously rich usually thin? Trainers? Chefs? etc.

I think it's circular. Being thin is aspirational largely because it's associated with wealth, so rich people avoid being fat because they think it's an indication of being poor. Eating junk and being fat are less acceptable/ normalised in certain social circles.

fairylightsandtinsel Thu 10-Jan-13 12:30:07

I agree that we have become used to seeing overweight as normal. I lost a bit recently and and being told I look really "skinny". People are being nice but I should still lose at least 1 1/2 more stone if I was to be genuinely thin and not overweight by BMI. We have normalised it - worrying from a health perspective

TroublesomeEx Thu 10-Jan-13 12:30:37

When I felt shamed over my weight gain I lost 2 stone. I've got another stone to go but I'm not 'dieting', I'm just not making excuses for over-eating anymore.

I'm far more concerned about health than I am appearances.

I don't agree that anyone should be mocked for their size, but are you suggesting that keeping quiet about it will make the problem go away ICBINEG? Surely in order to find a solution, people first need to recognise and identify the problem.

NorhamGardens Thu 10-Jan-13 12:30:38

It is very tough to lose weight over 40 though. I am fitter than most and eat like a small bird, I am probably technically slightly overweight. I haven't eaten pasta, cake etc in years. I monitor my diet and eat very healthily. In my youth I could eat a vat of Mcdonalds without gaining a single pound.

I think being active is the key and food is a bit of a red herring although the truth is expect to eat far, far less than you did in your 20s if you want to be trim after 45.

FreudiansSlipper Thu 10-Jan-13 12:30:47

I have noticed that here in the uk we seem to have a lot more over weight people than in France, Spain, Germany or Italy.

not compared to the states but we are heading that way, it is not surprising when everywhere you go there is high calorie/fat/sugary food to be eaten while we are shopping, at the cinema, gone for a walk in the park. Every activity includes snacking on crappy but often delicious easy to eat food

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now