Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think these are unnecessary ablutions in the middle of the night?

(83 Posts)
InNeatCognac Thu 10-Jan-13 10:38:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LegArmpits Thu 10-Jan-13 11:49:18

I'm not sure I'd even know how to operate the taps at 4am.

Delayingtactic Thu 10-Jan-13 11:54:45

I thought in the name of water conservation you're not meant to flush the loo if its just for a wee? I don't overnight (toilet is above DS bed so would definitely wake him). I do use hand gel though.

Sidge Thu 10-Jan-13 11:58:13

I don't flush or handwash at night either (and I'm the infection control link nurse at work!)

It's your own urine, not nuclear waste. Unless you've wiped yourself dry with your bare hands (or had a poo or changed your sanpro) not handwashing isn't going to cause any real problems.

Handwashing after blowing your nose is actually more important in terms of cross infection.

CheCazzo Thu 10-Jan-13 12:06:59

Oh. My. God. @ the histrionics about night time handwashing!

* you touch yourself unknowingly all night!* - God. Yeah. Filthy. Absolutely filthy. I expect you even insert your whole arm, unknowingly, right up your arse don't you? grin

Listen. If you leave a pee in the bowl overnight it is NOT going to breed silently and malodourously until you have a huge wave of bad tempered malignant piss poised and ready to attack you in the morning. If you pee in the night and don't wash your hands you will NOT wake up covered in cooties and ghastly suppurating sores causing your almost certain death by lunchtime.

Grip anyone?

Thumbwitch Thu 10-Jan-13 12:10:01

CheCazzo - it still stinks in the morning though. We tried not flushing wee away when DS1 was first in his own room because it was next to the bathroom - I sacked it after a week because I couldn't bear the stink.

CheCazzo Thu 10-Jan-13 12:11:15

You must have extraordinarily stinky piss then!

fairylightsandtinsel Thu 10-Jan-13 12:18:20

I sometimes wonder how those people like the ones on here who are shock at not handwashing and flushing deal with potty training or even nappies. I have been up (quite literally) up to my elbows in poo and piss for the last six months (DS is a bit slow bless him) and whilst I do wash my hands afterwards, I don't do a full on, nailbrush, boiling hot water effort because there are days when I would do nothing else! As for the OP, YANBU, your DP is being over-the-top. Our small en-suite may whiff slightly for the first 10 secs of the morning before we flush bit its hardly retching territory.

BadLad Thu 10-Jan-13 12:18:39

Well, that will depend on what you eat to an extent. Mine is particularly stinky after asparagus.

ErikNorseman Thu 10-Jan-13 12:22:13

Nighttime pees go unflushed and daytime ones too he is being VU.

CunningPlan Thu 10-Jan-13 12:22:13

Night lights on the landing. It's the way forward OP. revolutionised our night time toilet trips and the clear up after we TTC

And yes to not hand washing in the night. But I pee first thing and wash them then.

Thumbwitch Thu 10-Jan-13 12:22:50

Not me, DH. But yes, he does. And it's 100x worse after asparagus.

samandi Thu 10-Jan-13 12:24:21

Flushing a tissue away that you've used to blow your nose on is ridiculous at any time. But washing your hands after going to the toilet is quite acceptable. No need to flush if it's a wee, though flushing is acceptable too - whatever works.

greensmoothiegoddess Thu 10-Jan-13 13:35:20

No flushing here!
No washing of hands!
No bad stinky pee smell in the morn!

Get a grip folks.

valiumredhead Thu 10-Jan-13 13:37:29

If I get up in the night I wee in the dark and wash my hands as quietly as possible - never flush!

Anniegetyourgun Thu 10-Jan-13 13:46:30

I'm a compulsive flusher and hand-washer. However, flushing tissues and washing hands after blowing your nose? In your own house? Weird stuff. (If I got up to flush it away every time I used a tissue I'd never get any sleep at all in the winter... still, the exercise would probably do me good.)

LimburgseVlaai Thu 10-Jan-13 13:48:42

OP - get your husband a handkerchief.

NewYearNewNagoo Thu 10-Jan-13 13:52:24

I'd rather he turned the light on than peed on the floor.

Putting tissues under your pillow is disgusting wretched behaviour. It will be cited on my divorce papers

We have a night light on the landing. No lights need to go on for us.

There is no need to flush a tissue. I wouldn't flush wee either. Unless he does that terrible brown dad-piss envy

Andro Thu 10-Jan-13 14:01:58

Snotty tissues in the bin by the bed and emptied in the morning.

Going to the toilet and not flushing or washing my hands? Never going to happen! Personal hygiene is basic; if you go to the toilet, you wash your hands when you have finished.

HiggsBoson Thu 10-Jan-13 14:15:04

You bunch of repressed harpies grin

Its only wee fgs!

We're metered and appreciate having access to water, so we conserve it i.e. don't flush for every wee.

BarredfromhavingStella Thu 10-Jan-13 14:18:14

No flushing or hand washing in the middle of the night here either-no need to turn on the light as the majority of the time I don't even open my eyes grin

Beehatch Thu 10-Jan-13 14:27:39

Perhaps we should all go back to chamber pots wink

complexnumber Thu 10-Jan-13 14:41:06

"Tell him to go for an 'empty wee' before bed, if a 4 year old can manage to go all night surely a grown man can?"

If only acceptableinthe80s.

Have you come across the Prostate development in males after about 45 y/o?

I normally have 2 pees a night. sad

KellyElly Thu 10-Jan-13 14:43:12

All these hand washing hygiene comments on threads always make me wonder - do avid hand washers wash their hands after sex/foreplay etc?, do they wash their hands after being in any public place or using public transport? after using a computer? Using a mobile phone/work phone? Shaking hands with someone? (well you don't know if THEY wash after pissing do you grin) Surely all of these things carry more bugs/bacteria than a little bit of your own wee? It's not like you piss on your hands, there's a good few sheets of loo roll in the way!

IloveJudgeJudy Thu 10-Jan-13 15:03:05

Your poor DH. I'm sure he'd much rather not have to blow his nose in the middle of the night, or go to the loo.

DH always gets up in the middle of the night for a pee. Has done since I've known him. I did always used to wake up, but don't now. I have asked him to flush after peeing as I find man pee smells pretty strong after fermenting in the bowl plus it makes the bowl much dirtier somehow (perhaps cos we're in a very hard water area?).

Fakebook Thu 10-Jan-13 15:05:00

Touching your eyes with unwashed hands can cause bacterial infections like sties. I'd rather prevent myself from contracting shit like that. Anyway I distinctly remember a thread where people openly admitted to not washing hands after using the loo and even after pooing. I was amazed at how many people don't wash their hands. It's really bad hygiene.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now