To think these are unnecessary ablutions in the middle of the night?

(83 Posts)
InNeatCognac Thu 10-Jan-13 10:38:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrssmooth Thu 10-Jan-13 10:56:26

Am also guilty of not flushing in the middle of the night (but I do have a "absolutely-flush-the-loo-during-the-day" rule though!) My mil never flushes the loo unless it's [ahem] brown ... because "it costs money to flush the loo, we have to pay for every single drop of water we use you know" (water meter)!!!

We live in an oldish house and our toilets don't actually have sinks in them (yet) so I have been using hand sanitiser instead ... would that be an option for middle of the night visits to the loo?

BreconBeBuggered Thu 10-Jan-13 10:57:50

Nothing wrong with leaving it unflushed. Especially if you have a weedy bladder and a water meter. Handwashing is another matter. As are lights being turned on and off during the night.

marchwillsoonbehere Thu 10-Jan-13 10:57:55

You sound about 9.

Thanks!

Never needed to get up in the night for a poo? Good for you! Not understanding that other people might? Who gets up for a poo? Who's sounding like a child now?

wink

Thumbwitch Thu 10-Jan-13 10:58:03

I can't bear not flushing, it stinks in the morning (regardless of colour!)
But I don't switch the light on and I don't always wash my hands (I do if I've got them wet of course)

And your DH is being an inconsiderate knobend. Put a bin in the bathroom and let him blow his nose in there and dump the tissue - no need to flush it.

marchwillsoonbehere Thu 10-Jan-13 10:59:23

Thumbwitch you asre welcome in my house (with efficient plumbing!) any time

grin

Flobbadobs Thu 10-Jan-13 11:00:38

How about looking for something like this?
www.ukbathroomstore.co.uk/sanlamere-caroma-profile-combined-toilet-intergral-basin-p-150198.html?gclid=CLWewpbR3bQCFSbMtAoddAwAoA
This one is pricey but I bet you could find something cheaper.

diddl Thu 10-Jan-13 11:01:45

We don´t flush for wees in the night either.

I certainly wouldn´t flush for a piece of snotty tissue!

Can´t afford it!

acceptableinthe80s Thu 10-Jan-13 11:04:11

Tell him to go for an 'empty wee' before bed, if a 4 year old can manage to go all night surely a grown man can? Oh and restrict drinks after 8pm, should do the trick.

BadLad Thu 10-Jan-13 11:05:17

I think YABU. He should try to be as quiet as he can, but when you've got to do it, you've got to do it.

Especially after I've had a few drinks, I often have to get up for a wee once or twice in the night. I don't switch the lights on, but I certainly flush it and wash my hands afterwards. Fortunately, that is expected by everyone in this house.

Perhaps a bin in the bathroom would help your problem - he can get up, let himself out quietly, blow his nose in another room and just put it in the bin.

Fakebook Thu 10-Jan-13 11:05:57

Eew. I flush even at night, albeit a half flush, so I just press the button down for a millisecond. I also wash my hands; you touch yourself unknowingly all night! How can you not wash your hands just because its night? I don't turn the light on though because it hurts my eyes. I actually haven't woken up for a wee at night since I was pregnant.

bedmonster Thu 10-Jan-13 11:06:11

Your DH is BU. I don't always flush at night and don't bother with hand washing. And I never turn the lights on either.

But yes to You sound about 9 grin

Fakebook Thu 10-Jan-13 11:06:49

Night knight nighty night.

bedmonster Thu 10-Jan-13 11:07:49

you touch yourself unknowingly all night!

Oh my bloody god, might as well just chop your hands off then, be done with all those body germs!!!

Thumbwitch Thu 10-Jan-13 11:09:33

Thanks March! grin

WitchOfEndor Thu 10-Jan-13 11:09:56

If I need a wee in the night I leave the light off and don't wash (as I won't be touching anything before I get my shower the next morning). I've never had to poo in the night unless I was ill and it was a bit of an emergency smile and I did put the light on because I was in there for some time. And the next morning DH asked that, in future, could I be quieter running to the loo as it woke him up ( although he said he understood that I couldn't help making noises once I got there as the world was falling out of my arse ) I didn't really know what to say to that!

marchwillsoonbehere Thu 10-Jan-13 11:12:46

Okay, I bow to the MN jury, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww is childish. From hereon in the phrase I will use is 'tsk'. Any better? grin

MrsKeithRichards Thu 10-Jan-13 11:13:07

The first thing I do in the morning is go for a pee and wash my hands. I don't bother during the night because I'm going straight back into bed and back to sleep the only thing that is likely to happen before I get up for the day is a bit of rumpy pumpy and/or touching of naughty bits which I wouldn't wash my hands after either!

I always wash them first thing my mum always said that you never know where your hands have been during the night!

fluffyraggies Thu 10-Jan-13 11:13:14

OMG i hate finding stale old wee in the loo in the mornings! My eldest (i discovered after some interrogations) took it upon herself to stop flushing at night recently for some reason best known to her recently. She flushes again now!

I flush, and wash hands quickly at night. BUT all the pitch dark. I wouldn't dream of putting the bedroom light on, and if i put the bathroom light on I'm blind then for getting back across the landing grin

Would bin tissues. Not waste a flush on them.

Pigsmummy Thu 10-Jan-13 11:17:48

I always hand wash briefly but don't flush for a wee, do you regulary clean the light switches and door handles btw? I never used to until we got a bad tummy bug.....

littleducks Thu 10-Jan-13 11:20:44

I wouldn't normally get out of bed to flush a tissue.

However if I got out of bed and it was actually dark (the kids have nightlights in their rooms and doors open or its starting to get lighter naturally as our bathroom/landing/stairs windows are all just frosted glass with no curtains) I would turn on a light without a second thought. I would attempt to do whatever I needed quietly but wouldn't not do it.

We often go to bed at different times/get up differfnt times so dont creep about.

NaicePig Thu 10-Jan-13 11:22:28

But is he even weeing?

NaicePig Thu 10-Jan-13 11:23:11

I chuck nose-tissues in the loo if I'm up and about, but leave them there until it gets flushed anyway.

carabos Thu 10-Jan-13 11:27:46

I don't understand why he's getting up at all if he's not actually weeing? Why can't he blow his nose in bed and go back to sleep? Washing his hands after blowing his nose isn't going to diminish the risk of infection to people he's actually in bed with and breathing all over!

InNeatCognac Thu 10-Jan-13 11:28:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KellyElly Thu 10-Jan-13 11:45:48

I can't believe people wash their hands at night. I go to the loo with my eyes closed, no lights, quick wee and then straight back to bed. If I started flushing, turning lights on, washing hands etc I'd be wide awake. I really wish I could sleep walk to the loo and not have to wake up at all grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now