To call in sick?

(16 Posts)
shesariver Fri 11-Jan-13 10:10:05

I meant humans arent robots obviously! grin

shesariver Fri 11-Jan-13 10:09:01

Only on MN could someone try to turn this into an anti public sector debate. hmm

OP I dont think YABU at all. People get sick and have to take time off work, humans are robots.

RobinSparkles Fri 11-Jan-13 09:57:19

It could have been an allergic reaction or it could have been slapped cheek which can be dangerous for pregnant women. Probably not slapped cheek but better to ring in sick just in case.

Hardly comparable to a cold, which is harmless! hmm

Hope you're feeling better OP! thanks

knackeredmother Wed 09-Jan-13 21:21:51

Ooh Gp/advice from NHS direct.
From the info you have given sounds allergic anyway. There's no way I would call in sick for what you have described.

WelshMaenad Wed 09-Jan-13 21:17:15

Or even, all ears.

WelshMaenad Wed 09-Jan-13 21:16:33

Knackered, if you can suggest a way I could have reliably gotten the rash 'looked at' at 7.30pm when I was due in work at 10pm, I am all wars.

I will lose pay for not bring there, incidentally.

WelshMaenad Wed 09-Jan-13 21:14:56

Thank you for the well wishes!

It's definitely a job where my physical presence is essential (I work in adv refuge) but they have people they are going to call to cover. DH has just reminded me I wasn't even meant to be working tonight, it was overtime, not my contracted hours. I still feel bad for not going in, but my colleague seemed very happy I wasn't going near her!

knackeredmother Wed 09-Jan-13 21:13:51

What your job is, is not overly relevant to the question. I was pointing out on the other thread that people with generous sick pay
Policies have a very low threshold for calling in sick.
I work with pregnant people / immunsuppressed and would have had the rash looked at first. Very few rashes are harmful to pregnant ladies. Most rashes are non specific viral or allergic reaction.

NolittleBuddahsorTigerMomshere Wed 09-Jan-13 21:11:25

YADNBU - and very considerate, which is what I thought nursing was all about. Feel better soon thanks

Iamsparklyknickers Wed 09-Jan-13 21:07:06

Yanbu.

Regardless of whether you're a nurse or not, if you work with a group vulnerable to infections then you have to be extra cautious. I'm a massive advocate of public bodies/charities getting their data protection issues sorted to allow people to work from home. It's not often that a community job can't be effective as a telephone/record keeping/admin position for a couple of days...

I digress! Hope you feel better soon smile

WelshMaenad Wed 09-Jan-13 21:02:10

I'm not a nurse.

knackeredmother Wed 09-Jan-13 20:53:08

Colds are viral, do you phone in sick then? Unless you are confident you can self diagnose rubella or chicken pox or measles or whichever you are thinking it could be. Is it not simply an allergic reaction, particularly if it went away with piriton.
IvE been on a few threads recently about nurses etc taking the piss with sick leave. Case in point here?

RobinSparkles Wed 09-Jan-13 20:41:01

*if

RobinSparkles Wed 09-Jan-13 20:40:00

Yes, don't feel guilty. You'd feel a lot more guilty of it was viral and you infected an entire office, particularly your pregnant colleagues!

Hope you're feeling better smile

Fakebook Wed 09-Jan-13 20:37:17

Yes you did.

WelshMaenad Wed 09-Jan-13 20:33:32

I've woken from my pre work map with a blotchy rash all over my face and neck. It happened in the weekend and took 24 hours and lots of piriton to go away. I feel low-level unwell and the rash is prickly.

Several of my service users are pregnant. I have called in sick as I'm concerned the rash might be viral. However I've only been in the post a few months and I'm really worried about how it looks to be sick and feel v guilty.

Did I do the right thing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now