Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Loyalists in Belfast missing a trick.?

(241 Posts)
Stoneinwelly Wed 09-Jan-13 20:21:02

Watching the news on the rioting in N.I. Aibu in thinking the loyalists could turn the whole flag raising and lowering business to their advantage?
Nobody really notices a flag up everyday iykwim but one hoisted for special occasions would get more attention. They could get the bugle out ,like Ypres,
and have a cake and pictures for really special days like Earl of Essex' B.D.

pinkhousesarebest Sat 19-Jan-13 21:29:24

We left after the Omagh bomb, and were delighted to go. We live in France now with two dcs. When we drove off the ferry at Larne last July my ds said "Oh paradise!". They love NI with a passion, and have made me see it through new eyes - the loveliness of the people, the gorgeous countryside, the fantastic amenities, the stacks of things to do with dcs ( check out the grim reality of living in France with youngs dcs on the Living Overseas thread).

It is heartbreaking to see these demons emerge again.

bureni Sat 19-Jan-13 20:19:58

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

AliceCrowley Sat 19-Jan-13 20:14:38

BBC NI are reporting that after running out of plastic bullets last night, the PSNI threw a copy of the Belfast Telegraph jobs section, into the middle of the protesters, who then fled in terror.....

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 12-Jan-13 21:34:07

Bumping this for our later MNetters who may wish to attend The Peace Gathering tomorrow.smile

Stokes Sat 12-Jan-13 18:10:33

For anyone in Belfast - there is a peace gathering tomorrow at 12:30 outside City Hall. I was at the last one and it was great - lovely atmosphere, people from all walks of life, loads of families etc. There was no intimidation, other protestors etc. If you're around, you should think about coming down. At the end, there's a 5 minute non-silence - the silent majority making themselves heard.

Chunderella Sat 12-Jan-13 16:42:44

Apostropheuse I think they were planning to do it to make a point. They see them asking another country to remove their flag as no different to people whose allegiance is to another country (ie nationalists in NI) asking them in Belfast to remove theirs. I heard ROI doesn't fly their flag all the time though and it won't actually be up this weekend!

I see people's points about this thread being depressing, but have also seen some really positive contributions too. I hadn't heard about Operation Sit In and am really thrilled that people are taking positive actions. A couple of my relatives have jobs in Belfast City Centre, I want to thank you for doing what you can to help them.

bureni Sat 12-Jan-13 02:41:15

what is all the fuss about?

AllYoursBabooshka Sat 12-Jan-13 00:02:59

I really do hope it's over soon.

DH got sent home early from work today thanks to "project stand still" or whatever these numpties are calling it.

I hate him going to work in town when all this is happening.

apostropheuse Fri 11-Jan-13 23:59:12

You're absolutely right Maryz

At least someone there had the sense to cancel the march in Dublin. I just don't understand why a unionist march in Dublin?

I suppose it's no different to the orange walks in Glasgow though. I wish Glasgow City Council would have the guts to ban the orange walks there. The vast majority of people (I'm sure in Ireland as well as Scotland) don't want them. They want to live their lives peacefully with their neighbour, go out to work, pay the bills and raise their family.

Instead of this they're terrorised by these total eejits - on both sides of the divide.

It would make you weep.

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Fri 11-Jan-13 23:44:15

Threads on NI always are LBE sad

Unfortunately there is an entire new generation who don't remember how awful the troubles were, and this is an excuse for a bit of excitement hmm.

Just like all ds's friends (and probably him) had decided to head to Dublin tomorrow to jeer the Unionists marching in O'Connell Street (thankfully the march has been cancelled).

Ignorant feckers the lot of them.

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 11-Jan-13 23:18:35

What an utterly sad, depressing thread this is.

Monty27 Fri 11-Jan-13 22:30:58

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Chunderella Fri 11-Jan-13 22:28:14

Ok. To me, letting mob rule win would be to not do it at all. And it's not like it was an 'in case' really, is it? Everyone knew what was going to happen, might as well schedule it for the convenience of the rest of the population.

wigglesrock Germany Fri 11-Jan-13 22:20:04

Because the whole idea of postponing incase people decided to riot if it didn't "go their way" is in my opinion letting mob rule win. The number of days the Union flag is flown is already limited in other NI cities, nobody was out rioting then.

Chunderella Fri 11-Jan-13 22:14:25

I guess I just can't see for the life of me how anything would've been compromised by leaving it til this week instead.

wigglesrock Germany Fri 11-Jan-13 21:59:38

Fair enough chunderella just have to agree to disagree grin

Chunderella Fri 11-Jan-13 21:53:18

Good for you Stokes!

Wigglesrock I see your point, but I think the people whose businesses have suffered and who might lose their jobs because of the protests probably care quite a lot. I agree that it's perfectly legitimate for democratically elected reps to do what they were elected to do. Just wish things could have been timed in a way that didn't arse up the local economy quite so spectacularly. The one doesn't have to preclude the other. I don't see how leaving it a month amounts to being afraid.

Stokes Fri 11-Jan-13 19:05:47

I freaking love Belfast. Just back from the pub for operation sit in - people avoiding tonight's protests by going out for drinks/food and spending money in city centre businesses who've suffered during the flegs saga. Had a lovely Friday night drink or two when normally I would've just gone home. Not many other cities where people would react like that I reckon.

Oh, and definitely come top the titanic museum, you'd be extremely unlucky to even see anything bad, never mind actually be affected.

wigglesrock Germany Fri 11-Jan-13 18:57:48

See this is what drives me insane - we can't just keep our heads down and try not to upset those who are eejits enough to block roads, ruin peoples businesses.

Who cares if changing the flag was a red rag to a bull? It was a decision made by democratically elected representatives. That is the way forward, not - being afraid of change incase those as thick as champ decide to riot and throw all their toys out of the pram.

Chunderella Fri 11-Jan-13 17:42:39

Spud, honestly the rioting is very localised. Please don't be put off visiting. I was there last week, was even in the city centre on one of the nights it kicked off, and was absolutely fine.

spudmurphy Fri 11-Jan-13 17:23:40

No way was there flag waving and celebrations in Dublin after 9/11.
Shock and sorrow yes. The president of ireland at the time made a very emotive speech. I didn't vote for her but she did capture the (irish) public mood at the the time . Appalled at some of the comments on this thread

spudmurphy Fri 11-Jan-13 17:11:49

Thought it was stupid to change flag arrangements. Like a red rag to a bull. Ffs things had quitened down in the North. Now i wouldn't visit NI to see Titanic exhibition as i had planned - wouldn't feel safe. What a shame.

ConferencePear Fri 11-Jan-13 17:03:37

I know that all of you have replied to me are right. I was just trying to correct one small item.
I was trying to make the point that history isn't that much use to use. Moaning about the past when bad things were done on all sides won't help now. We should be concentrating on the now.

Lovecat Fri 11-Jan-13 16:52:40

My grandad also fought for England during WW1. He and his brother were in the Connaught Rangers.

They were not in dire poverty, they were from the well educated middle classes, who enlisted/were recruited on the promise of Home Rule after the fighting. They were lied to. Churchill was a hate figure in our house...

Hence why the regiment rebelled in India when martial law was imposed in Ireland, and was disbanded on the creation of the Irish Free State.

BegoniaBampot Fri 11-Jan-13 16:52:25

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now