Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Aibu to be more than a bit miffed that DD's coat has gone missing from nursery?

(72 Posts)

That's it in a nutshell really...

DD's coat was not there on the last day of term before Xmas. I assumed that somebody had picked it up by mistake and that it would be returned after the holidays.

No sign of it....

It's quite an unusual coat and I've never seen any other children wearing the same one. It wasn't cheap either.

Nursery have checked if it has been handed in but there's nothing they can do.

Anyone else had similar? What did you do? It sounds a bit 'hand wringey' but I'm not impressed that there is a coat pincher in our midst!

Kristina, it has great fleecey lining and will do her for a couple of years. By that logic it is almost a cheap coat as she'll get the wear out of it wink

I think that a 'Most Stylish Farm' contest is required, although it will probably be quite horrendous and be a bit smelly wink

Smudging, I don't think that I spend too much on kids clothes. I'm quite frugal but will buy one or two 'good' pieces that will go with everything and last. It all gets passed to nieces anyway so it's saving our family money in the long run!

TraineeBabyCatcher Thu 10-Jan-13 23:38:43

This is why I purchased the fairly cheap school coat and a plain navy fleece for ds- they're nothing to write home about so not really worth nicking.
He knows he's not allowed to where his Joules one that grandma bought him to school.
Our school is a very good school generally but its pretty bad for theft of items, or things going missing because even the teachers don't seem to check things for names.

seeker Thu 10-Jan-13 23:44:11

Children should have clothes that either you or they have to worry about -apart from special occasion clothes obviously. Life's too short. Truly.

seeker Thu 10-Jan-13 23:44:41

Should not. Obviously.

Icelollycraving Thu 10-Jan-13 23:54:13

I think you may get it back on Monday. Some people are lucky enough to have a really long Christmas break.
Ds brought home a coat from nursery that I assumed was his,same size/colour/brand & was on his peg. By the time we got home,nursery was closed so took it back next morning (after doing a double take that he now had two). There was already laminated signs up & a death stare from the mum. Accidents happen.

Icelollycraving Thu 10-Jan-13 23:55:43

Check eBay to see if it's on a local listing. Just a thought.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Thu 10-Jan-13 23:58:26

Ice You know that wouldnt surprise me if someone did that, since its a decent coat.

Icelollycraving Fri 11-Jan-13 00:00:01

Well if it's unusual they can hardly send their dd in wearing it so it may be possible.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Fri 11-Jan-13 00:12:31

Ice, There are people around who are that stupid, you always get one.

Well that's a turn up for the books : It was magically on DD's peg today!

Faith is restored in humankind (for the time being....!)

GregBishopsBottomBitch Fri 11-Jan-13 16:01:14

Magically turned up or the person who had it has stealthily put it back there?

No idea, I was pretty early in so they must have been in first thing, or it was in the nursery all along and they're just not mentioning it to me....!

GregBishopsBottomBitch Fri 11-Jan-13 16:25:53

You may never know Mrs but atleast you got it back, my daughters school shoe seems to have done a runner.

KristinaM Fri 11-Jan-13 16:40:05

Told you ! < sticks out tongue childishly >

PoppyWearer Fri 11-Jan-13 16:54:56

Glad to hear it turned up!

I found an Esprit coat for my DD in the local charity shop today for £5, will be perfect for school.

neriberi Fri 11-Jan-13 17:10:26

This has just happened to me!

My son has a spare raincoat that lives in his bag at nursery (were told to do this by nursery), its got his name sewn in it however it went missing just before Christmas and is now nowhere to be seen. The nursery staff have all looked for it (so they say) and can't find it. It wasn't an expensive coat by any means, I anticipated "stuff" going missing at nursery so don't send anything decent with him. All his spare clothes & shoes are dirt cheap and easily replaced.

marquesas Fri 11-Jan-13 17:56:40

Yeah, glad you've got it back, please tell us that it now has a huge name in permanent ink in it grin

GregBishopsBottomBitch Fri 11-Jan-13 18:05:27

Handy thing to have, my mum insisted on getting her GC, custom iron on name tags for the school clothes, my daughter has ones in pink with a butterfly on it and stickers with the same for other stuff, must ask her where she got them from.

ProphetOfDoom Fri 11-Jan-13 18:10:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PoppyWearer Fri 11-Jan-13 22:16:31

Noooo, don't write name with a marker - that coat will sell on eBay for £20 second hand!

You want some easy tags. Removable. <taps nose>

Lol, very wise. I think we'll get another year out of it and then it'll go into storage until my niece is big enough for it. In the meantime I've sewn a label into it with DD's name.

Wish I had a big sister with kids to inherit clothes from!!!

GregBishopsBottomBitch Fri 11-Jan-13 22:22:27

Mrs Thats my mum does with my DD's old clothes, either go to my Niece or ebay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now