To feel actual physical hatred for a car?

(96 Posts)
StickEmWithThePointyEnd Wed 09-Jan-13 19:12:27

Dh has a car. I hate it, he loves it.

It eats money like no car I've ever seen before.

Over £200 tax
£70-80 to fill the petrol tank.
Repairs over the last year have cost in excess of £2k (probably much more). And that's with dh doing the repairs himself so no labour costs!!!
The damn thing would get £75 from webuyanycar.com. Even the insurance company value it at around £200.

Don't get me started on insurance of over £1k per year (dh is under 25 but has been driving for a few years and we have done everything to bring the premium down... we're almost under £1k... yaay! hmm).

But it's his baby. He has nursed the damn thing almost back to full health yet there are always new problems.

Thing is we can no longer afford this level of investment in a piece of scrap metal.

Yet every small car I mention gets poo-hooed. The engine is too small, it's a girls car, it's a <insert brand here> and everyone knows they have this, that and the other wrong with them.

Do I have permission to murder either him or the car? Or possibly both?

How I wish I could drive! Then it would be my decision!

And I seem to remember We Buy Any Car saying we buy any car except that one! when I tried to sell it out from under him....

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Autumnchill Wed 09-Jan-13 21:26:03

WBAC is owned by an auction house so you'll never get a great price from them.

MrsKeithRichards Wed 09-Jan-13 21:29:13

waves to another landy widow

bureni Wed 09-Jan-13 21:30:41

What do you call a Rover with a sunroof?
A skip.

DeepRedBetty Wed 09-Jan-13 21:35:45

My dad had a car he was obsessed with and spent a fortune keeping on the road.

But it was a Lotus.

McNewPants2013 Wed 09-Jan-13 21:37:36

I miss my Rover 820 vitesse it was a lovely car, until DH wrote it off sad.

ErikNorseman Wed 09-Jan-13 21:53:56

Rovers are simply grandad cars. My mum had one and she gave it to me, it guzzled petrol and the head gasket blew. Pile of shite.

LessMissAbs Wed 09-Jan-13 21:59:11

Never mind girls' cars (theres no such thing), the Rover 75 is an old man's car

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Wed 09-Jan-13 22:03:38

My dh would like to meet your dh Lola <facepalm>

Loving the rover jokes btw!

Autumn oh it has broken down! And things have fallen off/leaked/worn out/exploded. But his point is that it has never on the road while it's being driven. Apparently this is in it's favour. IMO the fact that it just waits until we get home then overnight things fall off it overrides this.

oldraver Wed 09-Jan-13 22:13:42

Ah bless him saying driving a smaller car 'would be like driving a roller skate'.... like he's an expert on cars grin Tell him any other car even smaller onbes would be better than his

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Wed 09-Jan-13 22:16:09

Of course he's an expert... he watches Top Gear (even the really old episodes which aren't funny) and has a manual and a toolkit and everything. wink

dontcallmehon Wed 09-Jan-13 22:24:41

I've got a Rover 25. I like him, he's called Victor.

Oblomov Wed 09-Jan-13 22:27:49

The man is a nutter to spend so much on a £200 heap of junk.
I thought you were going to tell me that it was a classic.
I have driven a morris minor, a lotus, an AC Cobra worth 300k, a aston martin. I now drive a newish Peugeot 308 !! and wouldn't spend 2k on it. He is crazy. and you are to let him.

Flobbadobs Wed 09-Jan-13 22:32:58

Believe me OP a rover 75 will never be at full health once it gets poorly! It dies a little more everyday until it's arse falls off or the engine falls out. When that happens he will realise that it would be cheaper to buy a new car. Or quite frankly go on a luxury round the world cruise!
When ours finally went to the great scrapheap in the sky DH was sad. I danced a little dance of joy down the street.... grin

On the plus side, he must have a massive penis grin

StuntGirl Wed 09-Jan-13 22:37:38

Beyond grin

Tigerbomb Wed 09-Jan-13 22:40:55

I used to work at MG Rover

Tell him to get what he can for it and buy a MG ZS 1.8 mark II grin

Startail Wed 09-Jan-13 22:42:52

I know it's forbidden, but LOL.

Even my 75 year old DFather would tell you he is to young to own a rover.

IAmNotAMindReader Thu 10-Jan-13 06:16:10

Just wait till the rust gets hold of it. Rovers should come with soluble stamped on the bonnet.
I had a 216 that had one 5p sized area of rust, I blinked and the whole bottom corner of the drivers door had gone.
Buy him a flat cap, some driving gloves and a travel blanket. He's an oap in training. grin

BookieMonster Thu 10-Jan-13 07:37:26

Your DH spends more each year on his Rover than DH spends on his Aston Martin. shock

FellatioNels0n Thu 10-Jan-13 07:46:35

shock A Rover 75? I am amazed. I was expecting some trendy, funky sought after vintage type thing, like Alfa Romeo or something, not a crappy Rover.

They are cars that were driven by dull couples called Bernard and Mavis, with sandwiches in tupperware and a flask of tea. Checked trilby for Bernard, crash helmet shaped perm for Mavis.

Your DH needs to get a grip. This car is not worth preserving on any level.

ErikNorseman Thu 10-Jan-13 08:47:38

Could you spray it with salt water? Or put sugar in the petrol tank?

hiddenhome Thu 10-Jan-13 11:06:17

You need to get rid if the engine oil wink

Flobbadobs Thu 10-Jan-13 11:16:44

I can give you a 100% guaranteed way to kill it.
Wait till the really cold weather starts, forget to put antifreeze in then try and start the engine after leaving it in the snow over the weekend. It made some very interesting noises then died...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now