Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be a bit miffed that no one has remembered our anniversary?

(96 Posts)
phantomhairpuller Wed 09-Jan-13 17:33:48

We only got married 3 years ago! Out of 100 odd guests, only 2 have wished us happy anniversary!! None of our parents have mentioned it, nor the best man/bridesmaids.
DH thinks I'm being daft but I can't help but feel a bit miffed hmm

Viviennemary Wed 09-Jan-13 18:13:17

I remember mine usually, but wouldn't expect anybody else to. Especially after three years. If nobody remembers to send you a card on your golden wedding then I think you might have cause for complaint.

Ephiny Wed 09-Jan-13 18:15:41

We haven't had our first anniversary yet, but I wouldn't expect anyone to remember or make a fuss about it. I've certainly never remembered anyone else's!

(the big question will be whether DH or I remember it...)

HyvaPaiva Wed 09-Jan-13 18:18:45

To be honest, I don't 'get' why wedding anniversaries are important to anyone except the couple. The marriage is the significant bit and that happens every day! Celebrating your lovely wedding memories and the anniversary of the start of married life is great for you and your DH privately but to except anyone else to care - not about your marriage itself but about the specific date - and be 'miffed' is to me a bit confused and precious really. Have a happy anniversary not a miffed one!

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Wed 09-Jan-13 18:20:41

We got a card from a friend on our first anniversary and I thought that was a bit weird to be honest, I couldn't give a flying toss about anyone's but mine.

CarlingBlackMabel Wed 09-Jan-13 18:22:15

Your parents might have sent you a card, some (parents) are more conscientious than others.

But honestly, it is ridiculous to expect anyone else to celebrate your 3rd wedding anniversary.

Even the most high maintenance Bridezillas should come down to earth after the honeymoon.

Squitten Wed 09-Jan-13 18:25:55

Nobody remembers ours and I can't say we remember anyone else's! We got a card or two on our first one but that was it.

We like to go out for a meal or something to celebrate another year of not murdering each other...

zlist Wed 09-Jan-13 18:30:32

I think it is fairly usual to send a card for the first anniversary but not after that. We only get one from PIL now. I used to get one from a very close friend too but now we just exchange anniversary congratulations via facebook.
I also used to send one to the closest friend above, but we both stopped (I probably stopped first as mine is a month after hers). I now only send to PIL (as they take the trouble to remember ours) and any 'special' anniversaries.

pictish Wed 09-Jan-13 18:41:59

I don't know anyone's anniversary - even if I was at the wedding!
In fact, dh and I forget our own anniversary.

Yabu.

DeafLeopard Wed 09-Jan-13 18:46:05

Well done for taking it on the chin OP.

FWIW DH and I often have to ask each other when it is - but then we have been married aaaaaaaaages

Livingintheburbmum Wed 09-Jan-13 19:26:49

Anniversaries are not like birthdays. Just for you and DP thus YABU. Sorry.

whois Wed 09-Jan-13 19:37:04

YABU

I think anniversaries are more of a private thing between a couple, unless you're having a 'special' one and throw a party.

MrsMelons Wed 09-Jan-13 19:39:53

I would expect my parents and brother to remember it as we are really close, FIL remembers also. SIL doesn't but she barely remembers to eat TBH so I forgive her grin We always give cards to my parents and DB/SIL and I would give close friends cards on their 1st anniversary or 'big' ones but not every year.

The funny thing is that everyone else remembered and arranged to meet up at ours for a takeaway but me and DH had forgotten and couldn't understand why everyone wanted to come round to see us on a Monday night blush

MrsMelons Wed 09-Jan-13 19:40:43

BTW I wouldn't expect any friends to remember but it was nice that a few sent FB messages but it wouldn't bother me if not.

mrsjay Wed 09-Jan-13 19:45:13

really nobody remembers after the first year maybe your parents/inlaw and your husband nobody sends cards for a 3rd it is your day not theirs you are celebrating your marraige not your wedding day iyswim

mrsjay Wed 09-Jan-13 19:48:02

my friend put on FB that she was grateful her HUSBAND remembered their aniversary (sp) as nobody else had <sad face> I was her bridesmaid and i sent her a card on her first but after that i dont think it matters till you get to the 25 mark but she was really pissed off with people.

YABU.

I acknowledge first anniversaries, and maybe significant milestones like 10, 20, 25, etc.

I don't want people to send me anniversary cards every year. The date is significant and precious to DH and me but isn't anybody else's business.

DH and I know it's our anniversary when the ils give us a card grin

Op, nobody cares about your anniversary, but be reassured they don't care about anybodies , you're not being singled out smile

I've always seen anniversaries as being for the couple, no-one else. It's how I've been brought up, too - my parents would find it odd if I celebrated theirs - I would buy them a card for a "big" anniversary, but that's it.

DH, on the other hand, buys his parents cards and presents for theirs. He will do the same for his sister. I think it's a nice idea, yes, but it feels a bit strange to me.

JustAHolyFool Wed 09-Jan-13 20:01:29

God really? I don't even know when my anniversary is, or the anniversary of anyone I know.

do you remember everyone else's?

SanityClause Wed 09-Jan-13 20:03:20

Someone I work with always gives me an anniversary card, even though she wasn't at our wedding, and didn't even know us then.

She is the only person, (aside from DH, of course) who has ever given me an anniversary card. Frankly, I think it's weird.

chicaguapa Wed 09-Jan-13 20:06:28

I always send a card on the first anniversary when I've been to the wedding. But I wouldn't send them after that.

maddening Wed 09-Jan-13 20:06:51

I wouldn't expect anyone to remember - maybe my own parents at a push

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Wed 09-Jan-13 20:09:53

YABU I never expect any, to me it's a couples thing so like getting a valentines card from someone who is not your partner

we get about 2 anniversary cards from immediate family and I even find that odd TBH, we never send them to anyone! even family!

the only time I'd expect one is for say a ruby anniversary where a party is thrown or similar

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Wed 09-Jan-13 20:11:57

"Op, nobody cares about your anniversary, but be reassured they don't care about anybodies , you're not being singled out"

nicely put! I don't do anyones but my own, not even people who I was bridesmaid for

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now