To buy Estée Lauder moisturiser?

(63 Posts)
StuntNun Wed 09-Jan-13 15:24:44

I suffer from eczema and the skin around my eyes used to be really dry; it looked awful and couldn't be covered using make up. My SIL recommended Estée Lauder's moisturiser and since I've been using their products the skin on my face has healed and is now in good condition. Unfortunately I have been made redundant and am having to cut costs. The creams I use cost me about £180 a year shock

AIBU to buy expensive face creams when I'm trying to cut costs? I realise there are cheaper products available but it would be trial and error to find ones that would be as effective and I'm worried that it might end up being more expensive if I buy creams that I can't use.

OliviaPeacein2013Mumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 11-Jan-13 20:02:26
valiumredhead Fri 11-Jan-13 13:21:33

Oh you poor thing, that's rotten x

ResolutelyCheeky Fri 11-Jan-13 10:57:37

Am on consultant No5. Have had every eye drop known to man so will try again with the chamomile and will also try the aloe vera.
Thanks both.

valiumredhead Fri 11-Jan-13 10:52:12

Oh YY chammomile in the eyes is lovely and soothing!

valiumredhead Fri 11-Jan-13 10:51:48

Res you are welcome x

Have you actually been to the GP and checked you can't have drops?

DIYapprentice Fri 11-Jan-13 10:49:15

I actually squeeze the teabag into my eye, and blink the liquid around. Sounds painful but it isn't.

You can buy aloe vera plants online, and get them posted to you.

ResolutelyCheeky Fri 11-Jan-13 10:44:17

Thank you DIY I have tried the tea bags but my eyes are quite severe and need something actually in them.
I have rubbed aloe vera straight onto my skin when on holiday, it is amazing stuff. If it could stop the burning in my eyes I would feel like all my Christmases had come at once smile

ResolutelyCheeky Fri 11-Jan-13 10:38:57

valium you are a mine of information! Thank you thanks

DIYapprentice Fri 11-Jan-13 10:38:20

If you need something for inside your eyes, use chamomile tea bags. Just soak them in some luke warm water, and then use the tea bag on your eye - or a cotton wipe in the tea. Works for mild congunctivitis as well. Absolutely brilliant. It can also be used as a final rinse for your body after a shower to soothe your skin.

valiumredhead Fri 11-Jan-13 10:33:38
valiumredhead Fri 11-Jan-13 10:32:44

You can but Aloe Vera plants from a garden centre - they are fab for when you burn yourself too, you break the leaf and rub the gooey stuff straight on and it's like magic! Easy to care for too!

Feminine Fri 11-Jan-13 10:24:45

My dd3 had dreadful eczema , all over her torso.

I used coconut oil on her, and within 2 weeks it went...and (touch wood) has not returned for over a year!

I've used it as a general moisturizer too, fabulous!

ResolutelyCheeky Fri 11-Jan-13 10:20:40

Apparently you can put it in your eyes if you dilute the fresh sap with water. Where the hell can I get Aloe Vera plants in the Midlands though?

valiumredhead Fri 11-Jan-13 10:17:45

I know you can drink aloe juice...

ResolutelyCheeky Fri 11-Jan-13 09:59:02

Wonder if you can get aloe vera products to put in your eyes. Off to google it....

valiumredhead Fri 11-Jan-13 09:51:14

I use the night cream as a day cream as it is SO gorgeous. The day cream I use when my skin is in need of less TLC. The night cream is not heavy though and makes an excellent base for make up.

I really wish I had discovered this stuff years ago, I feel quite sad I didn't and had years of shite skin.

ResolutelyCheeky Fri 11-Jan-13 09:39:58

Wow, thanks Valium I will. Do you use the night cream instead of the day cream or as well as?

JeeanieYuss Fri 11-Jan-13 09:17:27

If you shop around online you wil probably find the EL cream loads cheaper, places like fragrance direct etc.
Also, try olive its one of/or the most closest oil type to the natural moisture we have in our skin already (I didn't explain that very well, lol, hygwim).
It's great for sloughing of dry skin without being harsh.
My youngest suffers from eczema and it's horrible, her face gets so sore : (

valiumredhead Fri 11-Jan-13 08:31:35

Try the night cream - it is better than day cream and is the real miracle in a jar! Offers on line are always better than in store - I usually end up paying about £3 an item.

valiumredhead Fri 11-Jan-13 08:30:14

Oh fab, glad you like it! I always bang on about it because it has really transformed my skin smile

ResolutelyCheeky Thu 10-Jan-13 18:26:39

Thank you valium for the body shop tip.Went in today and got samples of eye serum, face serum and day cream and can say already that the eye serum has eased my sore eyes a lot. I have it inside my eyes.unfortunately which means my eyes have constantly streamed with tears. After 13 months my eye area is extremely sore.
Fingers crossed this works for me (and it is 3 for 2 until 27th jan)
My problems started soon after I tried lacura so wouldn't recommend (although may not be related)

specialsubject Thu 10-Jan-13 18:16:41

might be worth a boring hour or so reading labels. Write down exactly what is in the one that works, and find a cheaper one with the same content. There will be one somewhere in the vast excess of 'choice' that we have.

With EL you are paying for the ads, the walking skeleton who poses for them and the airbrushing.

it is an interesting exercise with hair products too - all the ones that are supposed to have different effects are in fact exactly the same thing in a different bottle.

anniroc Thu 10-Jan-13 18:05:42

I can't recommend Liz Earle moisturisers enough. They are great on eczema and don't cost £180!

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Thu 10-Jan-13 17:12:25
BingBongBoo Thu 10-Jan-13 14:06:17

I have eczema something chronic and my skin is a pain when it comes to face creams - after using things for ages it suddenly decides to become allergic hmm ..

A year ago though, I started just using the old fashioned Nivea cream, the one in a blue pot. It's only 99p in ASDA and last me ages. Not had a problem since (apart from the time I tried to use the pore-refining version and turned into a puffer fish)...

Can't really vouch for the anti-aging properties though but it works for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now