To buy Estée Lauder moisturiser?

(63 Posts)
StuntNun Wed 09-Jan-13 15:24:44

I suffer from eczema and the skin around my eyes used to be really dry; it looked awful and couldn't be covered using make up. My SIL recommended Estée Lauder's moisturiser and since I've been using their products the skin on my face has healed and is now in good condition. Unfortunately I have been made redundant and am having to cut costs. The creams I use cost me about £180 a year shock

AIBU to buy expensive face creams when I'm trying to cut costs? I realise there are cheaper products available but it would be trial and error to find ones that would be as effective and I'm worried that it might end up being more expensive if I buy creams that I can't use.

mrsjay Wed 09-Jan-13 19:22:37

My auntie raves about the Aldi stuff and she used to be a clinique all the way woman ( until she retired) she is in her 70s and looks in her early 60s her skin is lovely ,

buggerama Wed 09-Jan-13 20:42:31

I would carry on using it, it sounds like it has transformed you! I'd give up booze or trips to the cinema or whatever you spend money on that isnt as necessary as this cream

StuntNun Wed 09-Jan-13 23:37:44

Thanks for the good advice Anyone. I love diprobase for eczema in other places but not so much as a face cream. I used to use it but I find it leaves my face too greasy.

ZacharyQuack Thu 10-Jan-13 00:59:50

YANBU to priorities your skin care. Bad skin can have a huge impact on your self esteem, so if you've found something that works for you, you should try to stick with it. Can you keep an eye out for discounts, or loyalty points? Or check out websites like strawberrynet.com.

I really like rosehip oil under moisturizer when my skin is dry and flaky.

Monty27 Thu 10-Jan-13 01:03:03

I don't agree. Haven't read the whole thread. Pre dc's I could afford such prices, now I can't. I've read heaps of material telling me that I had wasted by money all thoses years and its all utter rubbish about estee lauder, e arden et al.

A gp told me E45 and Ponds. She was old though. But it's interesting.

holidaysarenice Thu 10-Jan-13 02:18:53

My estee lauder make up costs less per ml than the ink for my printer.....! Work that one out!

I use the daily moisturiser, I love it. Also save up the boots points, its never anymore in there and see if there are any double points going, brings it down a bit! Just spread it out 15 pounds a month isn't much if u save it by the month rather than a big chunk one month.

GW297 Thu 10-Jan-13 02:56:39

As a fellow eczema sufferer YANBU!

TarkaTheOtter Thu 10-Jan-13 03:54:09

I use zerobase on prescription so about £8 for a massive pot. It's non greasy but quite thick. I've tried a lot and this one works best for me.

theodorakisses Thu 10-Jan-13 08:03:42

Before i moved to the expensive brands I wasted more on trying the latest boots local etc stuff, used a few times and then tried something else. I agree they last longer too.

lovelyladuree Thu 10-Jan-13 10:34:28

bigbuttons glycerin is a surfectant, not a moisturiser. It enables creams to glide across the skin's surface.

bigbuttons Thu 10-Jan-13 12:52:56

Thankslovelylady I won't use it then!
I have been to aldi this morning and got myself a stash of stuff. The reviews for all the aldi stuff is bloody amazing. No one says anything bad and it has beaten other top brands in blind trials hands down. I didn't know which to pick as all have such good reviews in so many places. And CHEAP, blimey. I wish I'd bought the shimmer cream and the moisturising serum as they won top awards. But I got the Q10 stuff and the lacura equivalent of touche éclat ( which also has rave reviews)

bigbuttons Thu 10-Jan-13 12:53:30

lovelyladuree evenblush

ethelb Thu 10-Jan-13 12:56:45

No. Havign skin conditions is expensive business and treating them properly isn't a luxury imo.

However, I have similar skin to yours (acne and sever eczema ahhh) and Body Shop aloe face cream/lotion is like nectar on my skin. Though thats about £80 a year.

BingBongBoo Thu 10-Jan-13 14:06:17

I have eczema something chronic and my skin is a pain when it comes to face creams - after using things for ages it suddenly decides to become allergic hmm ..

A year ago though, I started just using the old fashioned Nivea cream, the one in a blue pot. It's only 99p in ASDA and last me ages. Not had a problem since (apart from the time I tried to use the pore-refining version and turned into a puffer fish)...

Can't really vouch for the anti-aging properties though but it works for me.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Thu 10-Jan-13 17:12:25
anniroc Thu 10-Jan-13 18:05:42

I can't recommend Liz Earle moisturisers enough. They are great on eczema and don't cost £180!

specialsubject Thu 10-Jan-13 18:16:41

might be worth a boring hour or so reading labels. Write down exactly what is in the one that works, and find a cheaper one with the same content. There will be one somewhere in the vast excess of 'choice' that we have.

With EL you are paying for the ads, the walking skeleton who poses for them and the airbrushing.

it is an interesting exercise with hair products too - all the ones that are supposed to have different effects are in fact exactly the same thing in a different bottle.

ResolutelyCheeky Thu 10-Jan-13 18:26:39

Thank you valium for the body shop tip.Went in today and got samples of eye serum, face serum and day cream and can say already that the eye serum has eased my sore eyes a lot. I have it inside my eyes.unfortunately which means my eyes have constantly streamed with tears. After 13 months my eye area is extremely sore.
Fingers crossed this works for me (and it is 3 for 2 until 27th jan)
My problems started soon after I tried lacura so wouldn't recommend (although may not be related)

valiumredhead Fri 11-Jan-13 08:30:14

Oh fab, glad you like it! I always bang on about it because it has really transformed my skin smile

valiumredhead Fri 11-Jan-13 08:31:35

Try the night cream - it is better than day cream and is the real miracle in a jar! Offers on line are always better than in store - I usually end up paying about £3 an item.

JeeanieYuss Fri 11-Jan-13 09:17:27

If you shop around online you wil probably find the EL cream loads cheaper, places like fragrance direct etc.
Also, try olive its one of/or the most closest oil type to the natural moisture we have in our skin already (I didn't explain that very well, lol, hygwim).
It's great for sloughing of dry skin without being harsh.
My youngest suffers from eczema and it's horrible, her face gets so sore : (

ResolutelyCheeky Fri 11-Jan-13 09:39:58

Wow, thanks Valium I will. Do you use the night cream instead of the day cream or as well as?

valiumredhead Fri 11-Jan-13 09:51:14

I use the night cream as a day cream as it is SO gorgeous. The day cream I use when my skin is in need of less TLC. The night cream is not heavy though and makes an excellent base for make up.

I really wish I had discovered this stuff years ago, I feel quite sad I didn't and had years of shite skin.

ResolutelyCheeky Fri 11-Jan-13 09:59:02

Wonder if you can get aloe vera products to put in your eyes. Off to google it....

valiumredhead Fri 11-Jan-13 10:17:45

I know you can drink aloe juice...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now