Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Parking on my Drive

(121 Posts)
Granitetopping Tue 08-Jan-13 23:28:27

I own a house with a drive which is a single track - just wide enough for one car. My next door neighbour doesn't have a drive but she does have a car. She regularly parks on my drive when there are no more spaces on the road. I have asked her many many times not to park on my property - which is clearly marked as a private drive.

She is a single parent with a young child and I sometimes feel that I am bullying her when I ask her to move her car. I get so fed up with contantly banging on her door. She always apologies and moves her car - but I would like to formally warn her not to park again with a strongly worded letter from my solicitor because the thought of driving home each night and wondering if she is parked there again is slowly driving me mad.

AIBU to threaten her with a letter- or should I be more charitable?

kinkyfuckery Thu 31-Jan-13 21:15:51

Why are you sure that neighbour would move car by 5pm if asked? She was asked not to use it at all and wasn't exactly compliant!!

I don't have an X-box, a trampoline or a treadmill. I wonder if I should just go and help myself to any the neighbours may not be using right now.

Granitetopping Thu 31-Jan-13 21:25:07

Hi Kinky

I've got an X-Box! You can use it if you promise not to park on my drive!!

whateveritakes Thu 31-Jan-13 21:28:04

Perhaps she is taking advantage of the Op being out and therefore not knowing if the drive is being used (until she gets caught once in a while).

Of course she is being rude but I wouldn't like to always have change for the parking, park away from the house, have to traipse back up with a small child etc, when their is an unused space next door. She's risking it when the op is out.

I think Op should have offered her a compromise first just to be nice. If she then took the piss then there's nothing to stop her doing what she's done anyway.

Granitetopping Thu 31-Jan-13 21:29:09

Unexpected - no sarcasm - she's a bit dense.

Whatever - I am old. It's my drive. My rules.

whateveritakes Thu 31-Jan-13 21:39:59

Sure.

she's a bit dense

Say's it all

Granitetopping Thu 31-Jan-13 21:47:33

What does it say?

Have I offended you? Or anyone else?

If I repeatedly ask someone not to park on my drive but that person keeps doing it - she is either dense or taking the mick. I chose dense.

Sugarice Thu 31-Jan-13 21:51:55

whatever the neighbour is dense, why else did she keep parking on someone else's property after being told not to?

MerryCouthyMows Thu 31-Jan-13 22:13:48

Nah, bollocks. If the piss taking neighbour didn't want to 'struggle' like that, she should have bought a house with a fucking driveway, not feel entitled to use someone else's. The OP probably paid more for her house IN ORDER to have a driveway.

And as for 'struggle' with one DC from a car park - stop talking bollocks. I have to get from the bus stop home with a pram, an escapologist toddler, an Autistic 9yo with no sense of road safety, a 10yo, an Autistic 14yo who when having a meltdown will throw themselves on the floor (there's no carrying a 5ft6 teenager having a meltdown...) along with a week's worth of shopping for 5 people. I can't drive because I have epilepsy.

I just see it as another job that has to be done, it's not a struggle, it's just part of everyday life. Fuck off is it a 'struggle' to walk from a nearby car park with a few shopping bags for two people and a young DC.

The neighbour is a pisstaker, no way should the OP have any need to allow her to use a PRIVATE driveway. If the neighbour wants a driveway, she should move to a house that has one, or accept her current situation doesn't allow that, and make the best of the situation WITHOUT taking the piss out if other people.

Good for you on getting the bollard, OP.

spiritedaway Thu 31-Jan-13 22:21:34

I sympathise. . I am a single mum of a fair few kids and live in a long cul de sac. . When i get back from school run neighbour has often 2 cars in my drive due to their multiple cars and morning shuffling out of their drive. I have to reverse along cul de sac. . Out onto busy road, park and carry the baby home. Their response. . Just knock love.

spiritedaway Thu 31-Jan-13 22:22:46

I mean i sympathise with OP by the way. . Not the single mum. Bollox to her!

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Thu 31-Jan-13 22:30:02

spirited do you want to start your own parking thread? I love a good parking thread smile

spiritedaway Thu 31-Jan-13 22:32:47

Ooooh. . . I might work up to one! smile

KellyMarieTunstall Thu 31-Jan-13 22:35:16

spiritedaway have you tried pressing the car horn long and loud when you get home and find neighbours in your drive?

Its my choice of alerting others that they are in my way ( mainly when blocked by some unthinking arse). Not used often but always to good effect.

Better than knocking and much better than having to reverse down a narrow road and having to carry baby home.

DeafLeopard Thu 31-Jan-13 22:37:47

Yay I love it when we get an update.

Well done OP for standing up for yourself and reclaiming your drive and thanks for updating.

And what Couthy says

E320 Thu 31-Jan-13 23:27:46

Let me clarify, you have a drive, you own the land, it is not shared?
Your neighbour is trespassing.
Nothing to do with being "nice", she is breaking the law. Get some backbone!
Why does everyone pussyfoot around "single parents" are they suddenly above the law?

spiritedaway Fri 01-Feb-13 10:22:22

I have done the horn but that is when i am blocked in and am heading out for school pick up. . When the school run red mist descends. . .

Arithmeticulous Fri 01-Feb-13 10:40:33

Better in than out, spirited - try it on the way back as well.

Nanny0gg England Fri 01-Feb-13 10:44:14

Did the neighbour ask to use the drive?
No?

Well, perhaps she should have done...

Zalen Fri 01-Feb-13 10:48:06

I think whateveritakes might be missing the point that if the neighbour had acted in a reasonable fashion they could have quite possibly got away with parking on the OP's drive to unload the car indefinitely. All they had to do was to have the sense, (and good manners) to move their car immediately afterwards leaving the drive free for the legal owner to use.

Tabliope Fri 01-Feb-13 11:08:26

I find it unbelievable that anyone would park on someone else's drive. Why would you do this? Spirit I'd tell your neighbour if they park on your drive again you'll be speaking to the police and the council. They're taking the piss out of you. I can't believe the audacity of some people. It's trespassing ffs.

GeneHuntsMistress Fri 01-Feb-13 11:21:32

In my old house we eventually had no option other than to sacrifice our lovely little front garden, have it paved over, apply to the council and have our kerb dropped. All at great expense and hassle to ourselves.

Someone parked halfway over the drive once, so that there was no way of getting my car off the drive. No idea who it was and didn't care to know either. I called the council and within 10 minutes a chap came out and was about to write out a ticket for it when he realised that i was heavily pregnant, at which point he said he had better call for a tow truck in case I needed to get out urgently. Just at this moment, a chap from down the road came sprinting up and apologising. The warden asked him to look at his car and explain why he thought he had parked it legally? I have never seen quite such a red face since.

Find out the number from your council and just call them next time. Saves loads of hassle and makes them realise they are not behaving just in a non-neighbourly way, but in a not entirely legal way....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now