Parking on my Drive

(121 Posts)
Granitetopping Tue 08-Jan-13 23:28:27

I own a house with a drive which is a single track - just wide enough for one car. My next door neighbour doesn't have a drive but she does have a car. She regularly parks on my drive when there are no more spaces on the road. I have asked her many many times not to park on my property - which is clearly marked as a private drive.

She is a single parent with a young child and I sometimes feel that I am bullying her when I ask her to move her car. I get so fed up with contantly banging on her door. She always apologies and moves her car - but I would like to formally warn her not to park again with a strongly worded letter from my solicitor because the thought of driving home each night and wondering if she is parked there again is slowly driving me mad.

AIBU to threaten her with a letter- or should I be more charitable?

LessMissAbs Wed 09-Jan-13 13:37:15

Blocking someone in doesn't have to cause a disagreement. The OP would be doing entirely accidentally, more than once if necessary, and be terribly apologetic for any inconvenience caused.

At the moment, she does have an ongoing dispute that is going to be worse to declare if she sells the property if it remains unresolved. By taking effective action to resolve it, she is likely to minimise the issue ie nip it in the bud.

People shouldn't live in fear of annoying their neighbours just because they may have to declare it when they move house - an undeclared festering dispute such as this is far more likely to provide grounds for a claim by any future third party innocent purchaser than a minor past dispute successfully resolved.

If getting a chain, I'd be personally tempted to send the invoice for the cost to the neighbour, but then I'm awkward that way...

atthewelles Wed 09-Jan-13 13:37:19

But surely, if she thought it was communal, she wouldn't apologise and move everytime the OP wanted to park her car.

I used to live next door to a guy who would have loud parties all the time. If I rang to complain he would apologise and turn the music down. The following weekend the noise would start up again, I would ring and ask him to keep it down, he would apologise, then a couple of weeks later........ Some people are just incapable of getting the message.

JoanByers Wed 09-Jan-13 13:48:37

it would be a pity if one of your kids were to scratch her car while riding their bikes.

Granitetopping Wed 09-Jan-13 17:58:13

Thanks for all the comments.

I have Googled the recommendations and I have decided to use a retractable bollard. The purchase and installation cost is about the same as a couple of solicitors letters. A chain and padlock wouldn't work as I have a wall one side of my drive and a hedge the other.

I am not happy to confront my neighbour regarding her reasons for parking. I am too much of a wimp! I believe she parks in my drive when all the spaces in the road are taken. A lot of people use the road for parking rather than use a pay and display car park around the corner. I work long hours and I expect she thinks she can get away with it if I'm not in all day. I suspect she knows I won't make a scene and just takes advantage of me. Or she could just be a bit dense and she doesn't realise she is making my life a misery. Whatever her reasons, I am feeling a lot more positive now that I have made a decision.

Whilst the bollard option will be a nuisance when I am coming and going - at least I know when I drive home at night I will be able to park.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on this post - and thanks for all the suggestions and support.

CooEeeEldridge Wed 09-Jan-13 18:03:01

Glad you're feeling better granite, a bollard seems like a good idea. I too know the frustration and anger some one else's car can cause! I now live on a road where no one has drives and it's a free for all, I LOVE it!

Bosgrove Wed 09-Jan-13 18:34:58

We have two houses and have parking issues with the neighbours in both of them.

In the one in the south, we are at the end of a cul de sac, our neighbours have a long narrow drive, we have a short wide one, so they don't block each other in their visitors normally park with two tyres on our drive as there isn't a wall between the properties.

The one in the North, is a small end of terrace with allocated parking, every time we go up our neighbour is parked blocking our parking spaces, even when she knows we are there she still does it, I think it makes parking easier for her. I end up knocking and asking her to move her car.

Both situations make me seeth and my DH laugh

SantasENormaSnob Wed 09-Jan-13 18:45:11

Please install the bollard whilst she is parked there.

3smellysocks Wed 09-Jan-13 18:46:49

I'd probably block her in each time at the end of the drive and when as ked to move take half an hour each time. Say you have a few jobs to do but will move the car when you get a spare few mins.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 09-Jan-13 18:47:01

>Please install the bollard whilst she is parked there
grin
tell her you're going to install it though, so if she's parked on your drive when its installed she's no-one to blame but herself.

orangepudding Wed 09-Jan-13 18:49:16

Granite if you get a bollard could she still park in front of your drive meaning you will still have to ask her to move. I just imagine she may do that if she can.

If she parks in front of your empty drive you can ask her to move....
but there's no law against blocking someone out of their drive.

So you could (in theory) install a bollard and still be no better off sad

Blu Wed 09-Jan-13 19:01:15

If you come home late at night and her car is on the drive, knock and ask her to get up and move it so you can park in your own drive.

The later the better, of course. Well after most people's bed times.

BoneyBackJefferson Wed 09-Jan-13 21:33:29

The major problem with blocking the neighbour in is that the neighbour can then have the OP's car towed as the OP would be breaking the law.

ophelia275 Thu 31-Jan-13 12:30:42

Glad you got this sorted. Where is she parking now?

andubelievedthat Thu 31-Jan-13 18:06:32

yeah block her in and? find out her Dark side ! perhaps a week later your tyres are slashed/sand in your fuel tank > find a way to resolve this with sugar.

Granitetopping Thu 31-Jan-13 20:11:59

I have had the bollard fitted. It's a pain to move everytime I leave, especially when it's raining, but at least I know my drive will be "neighbour free" when I come home a night!

I've had no trouble with anyone parking on the road blocking the entrance to drive.

My neighbour parks further up the road and has admired my bollard! I don't think she realises that she is the reason for it's installation!!

Sugarice Thu 31-Jan-13 20:19:49

Granite result! grin

Groovee Thu 31-Jan-13 20:28:05

Result xx

whateveritakes Thu 31-Jan-13 20:46:20

Well you won't see struggling from the car park, trying to hold her young child's hand and bags in the other worrying if she should have put another hour on her ticket, whether to get the rest of the bags later ...because you are out at work.

She has no right to your drive at all but it would have been a kindness to work something out. Still your stress at having to ask her to move every week must be horrendous.

Sugarice Thu 31-Jan-13 20:52:43

whatever it's Granite's drive, why should she have to accommodate someone else thinking they can park on her drive ?

Well done Granite for standing up for yourself and not being a doormat!

whateveritakes Thu 31-Jan-13 20:58:33

Because it's a kind thing to do.

Other people not wanting to use the car park are taking up the spaces (sometimes). Op is out during the day. Single mum (so has to consider child at all times) has to get child and whatever else out of the car park which presumably she has to pay for.

Op will be old one day. She might need someone to go out of their way for her.... just to be kind.

Sugarice Thu 31-Jan-13 21:04:34

Being kind is a nice quality but there are some willing to take advantage of a kind nature, Granite's neighbour sounds like she is one of them.

It's good and proper to be kind in the right circumstances but it's better not to be a pushover.

kinkyfuckery Thu 31-Jan-13 21:07:57

Oh do fuck off whateverittakes. Why should the OP let her neighbour park in her driveway, meaning that she can't use it herself??

Maybe said neighbour could also pop round every time she needs a shit, or hang her washing on OP's washing line. Maybe she could actually just drop round a whole heap of dirty wash and expect OP is 'kind' enough to do it for her?

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Thu 31-Jan-13 21:11:43

I love it when the OP updates. Thanks Granite.

I suspect the admiration might have been sarcastic, she must know it's about her, unless she is unbelievably thick.

whateveritakes Thu 31-Jan-13 21:13:46

Seriously how much effort to say "use the drive in the day but make sure the cars moved as I'm back at 5pm".

If my neighbour didn't have a washing machine and had a young child then yes I might well help her out. Not forever but I would help her out if she needed it. (and if she didn't have a loo for a while then yes she could shit in mine)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now