Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

If your friend wanted to call their daughter Lily

(133 Posts)
Vagaceratops Tue 08-Jan-13 22:16:47

(totally outing myself here but ho hum)

And they thought that the spelling Lille was really nice, would you point out that that is a place in France and the pronunciation was different?

Or would you leave it and let them find out on their own?

nokidshere Tue 08-Jan-13 22:17:32

I'd definately point it out...

Deffo point it out. Lillie fine (but wrong) Lille place in France (and wrong).

BluddyNora Tue 08-Jan-13 22:18:43

I'd point it out, just in a 'oh, like that place in France?' Kinda way, not a 'but that's a place in France!' Kinda way!

WaspFactory Tue 08-Jan-13 22:18:49

They must mean 'Lillie', surely?

I would maybe leave a discreet Eurostar offer leaflet somewhere...
grin

Yes, definitely tell them!

Euphemia Tue 08-Jan-13 22:19:57

Or Lillé? grin

BelleDameSansMerci Tue 08-Jan-13 22:20:12

Yes, definitely tell them!

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:21:47

could be worse they may want to call her after that other famous french place breast!

Vagaceratops Tue 08-Jan-13 22:22:24

grin at Eurostar leaflet.

I thought she meant Lillie until today, when she told me that that was how they were going to spell it.

I would just hate for her to get upset that everyone is calling her daughter Leel.

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:24:05

(brest)

And worse, it will sound like 'little' in cockney.
i.e. Lily May = lil May

ThisIsMummyPig Tue 08-Jan-13 22:24:27

I think you need to point out that some ignorant people may be inclined to get it wrong.....

CailinDana Tue 08-Jan-13 22:25:18

Oh dear. Awkward. I'd be so tempted to say something but it would be difficult as hell. Cringe.

Amytheflag Tue 08-Jan-13 22:26:37

Eek! I would want to say something just in case they don't know but I don't know how I'd do it!

Is it a family of midgets? Lille means small in Norwegian.

IceAndSliceOfBrainsPlease Tue 08-Jan-13 22:31:15

Pure - so Lillehammer means 'Little hammer'? So cute!

Yes grin It does not refer to a flower head, or a hammer shaped like a lily.

oldraver Tue 08-Jan-13 22:33:01

I think you need to point out that some ignorant people may be inclined to get it wrong

Why would they be ignorant ? If you saw the name written down and hadn't heard the parents pronunciation it would be perfectly understandable to pronounce it as the town and think maybe they were following the trend for place names

It is a little bit like the song "Nice in Nice"

VBisme Tue 08-Jan-13 22:34:37

Yes, tell them.

ThisIsMummyPig Tue 08-Jan-13 22:36:04

Sorry Oldraver - it was meant to be tongue in cheek - I would pronounce it Lille too.

shellyf Tue 08-Jan-13 22:36:42

Agree with telling them

BreconBeBuggered Tue 08-Jan-13 22:37:18

'My cousin's friend's uncle's dog's brother's dad had the same idea as you and now their DD keeps getting called Leel'? <helpful>

CloudsAndTrees Tue 08-Jan-13 22:40:13

I'd tell them, but only if it was a close friend who I knew wouldn't hate me afterwards.

I think it's ok to do it while little Leel is still in utero. After she is born, if they decide to go ahead with it, you just have to smile and say how lovely it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now