school trips that are not suitable for children with SN

(130 Posts)
happynewmind Tue 08-Jan-13 21:39:04

I just wondered if this was normal or even allowed.

Every year the dc schools go on a three day trip in term time during school days . Its quite a big deal, they do work building up to it and afterwards, they have photos taken and these are displayed.

I've never taken much notice but last year one of boys who can walk within school and did sports day fine at his own pace but has a wheelchair for longer distance didn't go, he's a confident popular boy so I was a bit suprised but just presumed he didn't fancy it.

However we have got the leaflet home for one of dc turn and it says that any special needs much be discussed and approved before the child is accepted which is fair enough but it then goes on to say that despite this it must be accepted that the centre is not geared up to cater for SN and physical disabilities.

While I think that's the centres choice I have seen centres that do cater for SN and surely the school should look into these rather than exclude a child.

My own dc1 is sen but it not severe and will likely be allowed to go but im now worrying about it.

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:49:35

i'm happy to go or for a carer to go and see what she can do on the days. not to blanket exclude her except for one day. and why should i pay loads extra to sort it out for them?

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:51:03

they have said that tethersend. will have to ask them for that in writing

tethersend Tue 08-Jan-13 22:51:20

PandaNot- I don't think excluding a child from a residential trip could be seen as a 'reasonable adjustment'.

Schools have lost legal battles for exactly this (lack of) action.

tethersend Tue 08-Jan-13 22:53:08

Send them an email if you can, asking them to confirm the reasons your DD is not allowed to take part in the trip.

Don't offer to do a thing yet- ask them what reasonable adjustments (use that exact wording) they will be making to ensure your DD is not discriminated against.

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:54:44

thank you

CloudsAndTrees Tue 08-Jan-13 22:55:08

If the issue is cost, I know this charity might be able to help. It shouldn't be up to you to sort out though, the school should do it.

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:56:56

i feel they should get a carer themselves sorted and sort out a timetable of stuff she can do or adapt the things they are doing so they all can do it.

manicinsomniac Tue 08-Jan-13 22:58:48

Wow.

We had a little boy in a wheelchair at the school where I work a couple of years ago (sadly, he has since died). He went on both the Y4 and the Y5 residential outward bounds trips and loved them. He couldn't manage things like mountain biking and abseiling but he loved laughing at the others, being photographer and being raced up and down hills by us so that he didn't miss seeing too much. More importantly he loved joining in with the team building activities, the hot chocolate and stories, the games and the friendship making that is so important for all children.

Mind you, I work in a private school so maybe the school had to put more money into making the trip accessible, I don't know.

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:59:31

cant they employ a carer for her? why should i have to take time off work and lose that money plus pay out for extra accommadation costs etc?

FeltOverlooked Tue 08-Jan-13 23:01:00

If you read this guidance document, mum, it makes their position sound pretty untenable:

www.eriding.net/resources/inclusion/disability/071220_jstuart_sen_dsb_educational_Visits_faqs.doc

(I know it is probably not the same LEA, but the examples will hold)

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 23:01:10

thats the kind of thing i had expected to be honest. taking part isnt just doing the activities

Chocamochalatte Tue 08-Jan-13 23:02:02

That is fucking disgusting, I can't believe schools and centres are getting away with behaving like this. I work in an outdoor watersports centre and we would never turn any child away. Yes we do risk assessments and if necessary ask additional teachers to come or put on additional instructors where 1:1 or 2:1 is needed. Programmes can be adjusted if absolutely necessary but there is always a way around any special need or disability. It's just whether people are prepared to put any effort in or 'think outside the box'.

Please make sure you take this further.

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 23:02:55

right i'm going to go in tomorrow with that letter and make a fuss!

FeltOverlooked Tue 08-Jan-13 23:03:36

May the Mumsnet force be with you!

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 23:04:07

smile thanks

WeeWeeWeeAllTheWayHome Tue 08-Jan-13 23:06:00

Float62 A yellow star? shock

tethersend Tue 08-Jan-13 23:06:28

Let us know how you get on.

Give 'em hell wink

starfishmummy Tue 08-Jan-13 23:07:54

Felt - ......a disabled girl who had severe toileting/food issues (not apparent at school, all happened at night - tube feeding, etc) so would never have gone on any residential trip

Really? why on earth not?

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 23:08:47

i bet they say its because she is in nappies and doesnt sleep well. i reacon no teacher wants to be woken up 7 times a night!

HenryCrun Tue 08-Jan-13 23:09:54

Rules might be being broken here - kids with SEN can't be told 'we're not geared up for you, accept it' because that almost implies that the place isn't willing to make reasonable adjustments, which goes against the DDA. The idea of 'approving' special needs prior to a visit also implies this.

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 23:10:53

they have gone to this place for years its a tradition now so not chosen for sn kids in mind

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 23:11:59

rigtht must go to bed and get soem sleep before she wakes up!

5madthings Tue 08-Jan-13 23:12:12

Yanbu that is fucking crap!

Its discriminatory and not OK at all.

mum38 I am glad this thread has given you the info you need to complain, kick up a stink, you have the force of mnet behind you!

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 23:12:44

she will be worse on a trip, our last holiday she got up at 3am and never went back to sleep at all!

ReallyTired Tue 08-Jan-13 23:13:40

"Felt - ......a disabled girl who had severe toileting/food issues (not apparent at school, all happened at night - tube feeding, etc) so would never have gone on any residential trip"

Nappies should not be an issue on a school residental trip. A TA could be trained up to deal with the feeding tube. My son had NT children with bed wetting problems go on a year 4 trip.

Its a matter of where there is a will there is a way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now