school trips that are not suitable for children with SN

(130 Posts)
happynewmind Tue 08-Jan-13 21:39:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

threesocksmorgan Tue 08-Jan-13 22:31:34

then they should find somewhere that all students can access.

float62 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:33:28

To the uninitiated, just flip onto some of the heart rending threads on special needs:children to see that schools get away with this (and worse) every day to some of our most vulnerable dc. I've told one HT that perhaps me and ds should just "wear a yellow star". Thankfully, like The Capt, we're good now too.

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:33:33

my dd's school is not alllowing her to stay on her 2 night trip just go for one day no sleeping. i'm not happy about it.

FeltOverlooked Tue 08-Jan-13 22:37:34

So sorry to hear that mum382013. Have you complained? Is that the only alternative they have offered?

happy I feel so much for you. I think that we all want to wrap them up for ever and protect them. I worry about nothing else.

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:39:32

i have had meetings with ht but they say they cant have her. i offered to stay and they said no room for me

FeltOverlooked Tue 08-Jan-13 22:40:10

That sucks. Board of Governors? Or is it just one fight too many?

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:40:41

i either have to pay loads for a hotel for us both or drive her there each day over an hour away. or take her for one day bhut i still have to be there and take her on my own penny

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:41:28

they go with another school and if i make too much fuss will they have to cancel it?

tethersend Tue 08-Jan-13 22:41:37

Paragraph 304 of the Explanatory Notes in the 2010 Equality Act gives a relevant example of how the legislation can be applied:

The governing body of a school refuses as a matter of policy to let disabled pupils participate in school trips because of the extra risk management required. The SoS (Secretary of State) could direct the governing body to change its policy so as to make reasonable adjustments to enable disabled pupils to participate

It also supersedes the DDA and redefines 'disability', so that all that needs to be established is that the person has an impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on the person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

Sever asthma for example, whilst not a SEN, can be considered a disability under the act.

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:41:54

worried no-one will ever talk to me again if i do that

CloudsAndTrees Tue 08-Jan-13 22:41:59

Mum382013, that is outrageous! angry

ReallyTired Tue 08-Jan-13 22:43:23

That leaflet sounds reasonable. The term special needs can mean anything. I imagine the centre wants all the children to be happy. There is only so far that you can adapt a course without completely spoiling it for all the other children.

I think the best thing is for the parents to discuss it directly with the centre instructors. Then its possible to work out whether the problem is with the actual centre or the school making excuses.

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:43:32

i think so too but the school has been ok about other stuff and she is happy there.

FeltOverlooked Tue 08-Jan-13 22:43:54

mum382013 that is very unfair pressure they are putting you under. There are zillions of these centres and they are not all doing that well in the recession. (We stayed at one, by chance, in the summer and DS got to do loads of stuff on his own as their other bookings had fallen through so I got chatting with the manager). Your school could find a suitable alternative if they wished, and they have a responsibility to do so.

CloudsAndTrees Tue 08-Jan-13 22:43:59

they go with another school and if i make too much fuss will they have to cancel it?

That's not your problem. Don't think about that. They should be making proper provision in the first place.

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:44:18

its an action adventure type place so i'm guessing they are worried she will hurt herself

PandaNot Tue 08-Jan-13 22:45:46

Schools and other places are only required to make 'reasonable adjustments'. Unfortunately this term is so wishy-washy it means that they can get away with a lot.

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:45:47

from their website
■NEW! Vertical Challenge Course
■All Terrain Bikes
■Assault Course
■Low Ropes Course
■High Ropes Course
■Small Zipper
■Power Fan Jump
■Super 3G Swing
■Hikes and Journeys
■Team Work Challenges
■Tree Top Trail
■Bridge Complex
■Crate Castles
■Cowtails Course
■The Big Zippers
■Trust Exercises
■Coastal Walk
■Woodland Hike
■Ball Games

FeltOverlooked Tue 08-Jan-13 22:46:21

Well, she might. They all might.

A TA at DS's school damaged her knee on theirs - should they stop taking TAs?

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:46:32

their attitude is that she wont be able to do a lot so no point going for more than one day trip

FeltOverlooked Tue 08-Jan-13 22:48:09

What would your ideal solution be?

mum382013 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:48:09

they bigged up the trip and showed the photos and video etc to the kids then the ht tells her she can only go on a day trip. cue tears

tethersend Tue 08-Jan-13 22:48:37

mum382013- the school are acting unlawfully.

Have they explicitly stated that your DD cannot go on the trip due to her needs? If so, try and get them to put it in writing and take legal advice.

CloudsAndTrees Tue 08-Jan-13 22:48:51

They can't be that worried that your dd will hurt herself while doing the activities, otherwise they wouldn't suggest going for the day. There are adjustments that can be made to most adventure sports to make them accessible even to people with severe physical disabilities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now