school trips that are not suitable for children with SN

(130 Posts)
happynewmind Tue 08-Jan-13 21:39:04

I just wondered if this was normal or even allowed.

Every year the dc schools go on a three day trip in term time during school days . Its quite a big deal, they do work building up to it and afterwards, they have photos taken and these are displayed.

I've never taken much notice but last year one of boys who can walk within school and did sports day fine at his own pace but has a wheelchair for longer distance didn't go, he's a confident popular boy so I was a bit suprised but just presumed he didn't fancy it.

However we have got the leaflet home for one of dc turn and it says that any special needs much be discussed and approved before the child is accepted which is fair enough but it then goes on to say that despite this it must be accepted that the centre is not geared up to cater for SN and physical disabilities.

While I think that's the centres choice I have seen centres that do cater for SN and surely the school should look into these rather than exclude a child.

My own dc1 is sen but it not severe and will likely be allowed to go but im now worrying about it.

FeckOffCup Tue 08-Jan-13 21:43:17

YANBU if there is a choice of centres and one can accomodate SN then they should choose that one.

pigletmania Tue 08-Jan-13 21:46:46

YANBU at all. A school trip should incudeeverye. It should not go ahead. This used to happen at dd mainstream school. A boy with ASD was not allowed to go on a day trip, and was nt allowed to be at school so had to stay at home for the day

DisAstrophe Tue 08-Jan-13 21:49:21

YANBU.

There are plenty of places that cater for all sorts of disabilities. There's a place near me that gets people in wheelchairs or with severe autism up climbing walls and all sorts and I know it is far from unique.

Really hope there is a good explanation - why don't you ask the school? You could contact the governor who has responsibility for SEN and/or inclusion to raise the matter anonymously if you are not a gobshite like me worried about causing offence

WorraLiberty Tue 08-Jan-13 21:50:16

YANBU

What did the school say when you asked why they don't use another center?

CloudsAndTrees Tue 08-Jan-13 21:51:52

I agree that if the school needs to, they should use a centre that caters for SN. I don't know if they are allowed to run a trip that can't cater for every child or not. I'd have thought they can as long as its not essential to the curriculum, and as long as they still provide an eduction while the trip is taking place.

I'd be wary of assuming that they haven't looked into the issues, and there are care needs that you are unaware of that made the trp unsuitable for the child you mentioned who uses a wheelchair. They may have looked into it and found that it wasnt going to be suitable for any nimber of reasons. Also, even if a place is accessible for a wheelchair user, there can be other factors that come into play. Special needs can vary so much that catering for absolutely everything can be very difficult.

shushpenfold Tue 08-Jan-13 21:52:48

I would direct them to The Equality Act 2010.....

EndOfTheRoad2011 Tue 08-Jan-13 21:54:07

How did the school get away with keeping him at home? I would have been on the phone to ofsted and putting in a complaint of discrimination the moment the coach left!

Ineedmorepatience Tue 08-Jan-13 21:54:17

Yadnbu! The school where Dd3 goes has specifically chosen the venue for next yrs trip as it is more suitable for Dc's who are wheelchair users.

The school has resourced provision for children with physical disabilities. I think there are about 4 or 5 children in Dd3'year who use wheelchairs and they have all been given the opportunity to go with the rest of the yr group.

Many outdoor centres cater for children with all kinds of disabilities.
It is horrible that children are being excluded sad

tethersend Tue 08-Jan-13 21:54:47

The school are acting unlawfully if they are excluding children from curriculum (term time) trips due to their SEN. They are in breach of the DDA.

Put bluntly, if the school don't find another centre, they are in deep shit.

happynewmind Tue 08-Jan-13 21:55:10

Thanks, I am going to raise it as dc1 is an so im going to have to make sure they can go but she came home so excited about it and as a child with low self esteem I can't imagine having to tell her she can't go.

Its very likely she can but its not the point, the boy in question had to spend three days doing normal work in the class below last year.

happynewmind Tue 08-Jan-13 21:56:49

Sn not an.

threesocksmorgan Tue 08-Jan-13 21:57:26

that is disgusting.

EndOfTheRoad2011 Tue 08-Jan-13 21:58:44

Also if the child is statemented or school action plus then I wouldn't hesitate in suggesting the school is taken to task at a tribunal where more than likely they will be told to book another trip which is suitable out of their own pocket! Schools can't ask for a child to be kept at home they are breaking the law!

FeltOverlooked Tue 08-Jan-13 21:58:48

Agree with the others that if the boy and his family wanted him to go they are in the wrong.

However, remember the school could have checked with them and they might not have been prepared to let him go to any centre.

So do ask, but ask with an open mind at least initially.

Catchingmockingbirds Tue 08-Jan-13 21:59:08

Yadnbu, the school don't have to use this centre. There are plenty of more suitable centres they could have chosen which would accommodate the variety of needs that their pupils have.

ReallyTired Tue 08-Jan-13 22:00:09

By law children with special needs should be included on school trips. The special school I worked at used to go to great lengths to include children with severe autism on trips. Sometimes parents chose to keep their children at home as a school outing could seriously upset the routine of a severely autistic child.

"However we have got the leaflet home for one of dc turn and it says that any special needs much be discussed and approved before the child is accepted which is fair enough but it then goes on to say that despite this it must be accepted that the centre is not geared up to cater for SN and physical disabilities."

Surely the disablity discrimination act would have the schools guts for garters. Being in a wheel chair should not stop a child from attending a trip. They may well need a one to one and not be able to do all the activites, but they should be given some else nice to do while the rest of the class does rock climbing, canoing. (Realise that some disabled people do do rock climbing and canoing. It would be hard for a quadapligic child to do such activites.)

I imagine the only special need that could be discriminated against for school trips are children with with severe behavioural difficulites.

CaptChaos Tue 08-Jan-13 22:00:16

My DS2 has ASD. He was only allowed on school trips if I accompanied him, otherwise I was told that he had to stay at home. He wasn't particularly disruptive, but his 1-1 was needed to take a different group hmm

I'm sure your son will be fine, mine went to an 'outstanding' school and the head would do anything (up to and including telling me not to bring him in during inspection)

His 1-1, funded for him? hmm

PiccadillyCervix Tue 08-Jan-13 22:01:53

YANBU, that's awful

EndOfTheRoad2011 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:02:23

So he was put at a social disadvantage from his peers? WTF they may as well have labelled him and put him in the corner (sarcasm) definitely discrimination, definatley unacceptable. If u allow the school to get away with it even once they won't even bother trying to find alternative venues!

CaptChaos Tue 08-Jan-13 22:04:25

Yup. The school was state, but in a very naice area and everyone treated it like it was an indie. DS2 was definitely persona non grata, and parents complained that their children didn't get enough time with his 1-1. hmm

He wasn't there long, just long enough to get his statement sorted and go!

mercibucket Tue 08-Jan-13 22:04:32

our school either doesn't do the trips or arranges one the wholeclass can go on, surely thats the only legal option?

Eglantyne Tue 08-Jan-13 22:05:32

CaptChaos, either I know you or your ds's school behaves exactly like my friend's ds's school.

CailinDana Tue 08-Jan-13 22:07:24

YADNBU. Totally wrong. Plenty of activity centres cater for children with SN and even if there were none, it would be up to the school to then choose a different activity that was suitable. I am really surprised a school would even consider such a thing. Is it private, or state?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now