Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to be disgusted and angry? RAGE RAGE RAGE (Rape related, may trigger)

(208 Posts)
LoopsInHoops Tue 08-Jan-13 14:23:56

You may have heard about the Steubenville rape cover-up in Ohio that was uncovered by hacking group, Anonymous?

I read a few things about it, but hadn't read the hacking group's own account. here it is

I am absolutely disgusted at the level of deceit and evil in one small town.

The poor girl was drugged by a group (having had their coache's permission) then raped by loads of them. And now there are videos floating around the internet, not only of these horrible creatures (most of whom haven't been charged, the police having deleted the incriminating evidence), but also of one admitting to raping her and all his friends finding it absolutely fucking hilarious. here, grim watching, not for the sensitive (like me)

AIBU to have had no idea that the system in a western country can be so utterly fucked up as to allow this behaviour on account of school/sporting popularity? It is so fucking wrong. angry

Booyhoo Wed 09-Jan-13 17:24:54

thank you loops.

(i'm getting confused with loopy and loops grin)

loopylou6 England Wed 09-Jan-13 16:59:18

No problem. here

LoopsInHoops Wed 09-Jan-13 16:52:39

Thanks loopy smile Can you link it please?

loopylou6 England Wed 09-Jan-13 16:50:22

Done.

I really hope we could help somehow, this story has really angered and saddened me.

LoopsInHoops Wed 09-Jan-13 16:31:43

I'm struggling for time right now, so please go ahead and start a new thread, loopy. smile

loopylou6 England Wed 09-Jan-13 16:25:21

I think extra media coverage, public outcry that the police cannot ignore. There is a video of him admitting to rape, how can he be allowed to get away with this?

LoopsInHoops Wed 09-Jan-13 16:22:14

Boo - copy the url (www.bit) and paste to where it say something like 'Booyhoo, hoe you doin'?'

LoopsInHoops Wed 09-Jan-13 16:20:57

Sorry, been away from computer.

What is hoped to be achieved? Awareness? Greater media coverage? International involvement? A mass sign-up to Anonymous? Petition signing? That needs to be decided really before a new thread IMO.

Booyhoo Wed 09-Jan-13 16:20:22

forgive my ignorance but how do i share that on fb from the article? i have been able to log in through my fb to leave a comment under it but i cant see how to share it on fb.

Nancy66 Wed 09-Jan-13 16:18:05

the story is being covered.

Thistledew Wed 09-Jan-13 16:13:51

Sorry, the second two links don't work, but if you follow the first link you will find the reports on the right hand side of the page, and they will open directly into PDFs.

Booyhoo Wed 09-Jan-13 16:13:39

thanks loopy.

Thistledew Wed 09-Jan-13 16:12:50

Unfortunately, this sort of behaviour is not new, is not unique, and is not something that happens just in other countries. Similar incidents happen to thousands of children, predominantly girls but some boys too, every year in the UK.

If you have a stomach for it, follow the links on the Children's Commissioner's website to the - CSEGG Inquiry Interim Report - November 2012 and - University of Bedfordshire - Sexual violence in gangs - Interim findings - November 2012.

The forward to the Interim Report quotes:

"Sexual exploitation is a curious term, for it runs the risk of glossing over the reality of what is done to children.
The reality is that each year thousands of children in England are raped and abused from as young as 11 years by people seeking to humiliate, violate and control them and the impact on their lives is often devastating.
This report, coming at the end of the first year of this Inquiry into the sexual exploitation of children in gangs and groups, has uncovered for the first time the extent to which children in England are being sexually exploited. We publish the number of known victims over a set period of time but can say with certainty that our figures are an undercounting of the true scale of this form of abuse. We know that because, although many agencies and organisations responded to our request for information and data, there were some notable gaps, with a few local authorities failing to do so. Furthermore, we know that children are sexually exploited in contexts other than in gangs and groups, including by lone perpetrators. Evidence about those children is not included in this report.
During the course of this Inquiry we have heard from young people who have been raped in the most unbearable ways. These have included children who have been abducted, trafficked, beaten and threatened after being drawn into a web of sexual violence by promises of love and others who have suffered in silence for years as they are casually and routinely raped by the boys in their neighbourhoods – as they come out of school, as they walk to the shops, as they play in their local park."

It seems that it is easier to turn a blind eye to why this sort of thing is an every day occurrence, rather than to ask hard questions about why it is so prevalent in our society.

loopylou6 England Wed 09-Jan-13 16:11:20

You're a journo Nancy, what do you suggest on getting this story out there?

EllenParsons Wed 09-Jan-13 16:11:09

Nancy, I don't think anyone is expecting uk gov to get involved? Just simply expecting it to be covered as it is an important news story

Nancy66 Wed 09-Jan-13 16:06:50

this is nothing to do with the UK government though.

You wouldn't expect Obama to get involved with a crime that happened/was covered up in the Uk unless it directly affected US citizens.

ParsingFancy Wed 09-Jan-13 16:04:47

Getting on thread so I can follow any suggestions. Thank you for flagging this, I knew nothing till this thread.

Disgraceful that this isn't being covered by UK media - especially after what's happening in India.

That sounds like I'm more upset by the lack of media coverage than by the assault. I'm not. But the behaviour of the adults and now the media goes a long way to explain how the assault could take place.

loopylou6 England Wed 09-Jan-13 16:04:28

Boo, I've just put the link on my Facebook page, if you click the link in the OP, you're able to share the page.

EllenParsons Wed 09-Jan-13 15:58:31

BBC not bcc - autocorrect

EllenParsons Wed 09-Jan-13 15:56:18

I'm also surprised how relatively little coverage this story has got in the uk. I have been following it in the American media because I am always checking gawker and read a few American papers... But I had not realised that it had been completely ignored by the bcc. Bizarre and not right. The whole thing stinks and I can't believe the boy in the video has the audacity to even talk about how HIS life is ruined (DM article) when he has shown utter contempt for other human lives like that of the 16 year old girl.

The whole thing just makes me so angry.

5madthings Wed 09-Jan-13 15:55:17

Yes thread in chat, link to fb and try and get it in active convos etc.

Booyhoo Wed 09-Jan-13 15:55:09

yes a new thread would be a good idea i think. i was also looking for a link i can put on my own fb page to create a bit more awareness. no-one is talking about this in RL.

definitley need a trigger warning in the title for new thread.

loopylou6 England Wed 09-Jan-13 15:53:16

Loops, would you like to start the thread?

loopylou6 England Wed 09-Jan-13 15:52:13

Yes 5, I think a new thread in chat would be a good start, that way we know if many of us want to help. We best be careful with the title tho incase the more vulnerable of us read it and brings back bad memories.

loopylou6 England Wed 09-Jan-13 15:49:45

I'm not sure, do you mean sharing this on fb? We could start a new thread asking for help from mnetters, then press the 'recommend to fb' button at the top? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now