to be disgusted and angry? RAGE RAGE RAGE (Rape related, may trigger)

(208 Posts)
LoopsInHoops Tue 08-Jan-13 14:23:56

You may have heard about the Steubenville rape cover-up in Ohio that was uncovered by hacking group, Anonymous?

I read a few things about it, but hadn't read the hacking group's own account. here it is

I am absolutely disgusted at the level of deceit and evil in one small town.

The poor girl was drugged by a group (having had their coache's permission) then raped by loads of them. And now there are videos floating around the internet, not only of these horrible creatures (most of whom haven't been charged, the police having deleted the incriminating evidence), but also of one admitting to raping her and all his friends finding it absolutely fucking hilarious. here, grim watching, not for the sensitive (like me)

AIBU to have had no idea that the system in a western country can be so utterly fucked up as to allow this behaviour on account of school/sporting popularity? It is so fucking wrong. angry

PiccadillyCervix Tue 08-Jan-13 17:18:41

I'm not sure why we accept things from celebrities that we wouldn't accept from anyone else.

Booyhoo Tue 08-Jan-13 17:23:07

"The reason we find this shocking is because we like to believe this sort of thing only happens elsewhere in the world (e.g. rape as a weapon of war in the Republic of Congo or honour-based violence in Pakistan)."

i disagree. i cant speak for anyone else but this doesn't shock me because i think rape only happens in other countries. i have seen enough UK news to know what men in this country are capable of doing to women. i am fully aware of it's effect on the women of this country. it shocks me because it is a shocking story. regardless of how much i have heard about vicious attacks on women i am repeatedly shocked and disgusted everytime i hear something new. and i think that is a natural response. it's when we aren't shocked that we (as a nation) should worry.

Abitwobblynow Tue 08-Jan-13 17:23:33

This is ABUSE. This is people thinking they are superior and special and entitled to use another as an object of contempt, and all involved need to be confronted with their attitudes and required to examine and change them.

Dahlen Tue 08-Jan-13 17:25:30

Booyoo - I was responding to a comment made above: That link reads almost like a book plot, it's seems impossible for there to be that many sick minded individuals living in the same town, and acting as a collective. I was talking specifically about organised rape/abuse involving multiple perpetrators.

That's horrific. I wish it sounded like an abberation but it doesn't does it? Not after the last few days.

Poor girl. I hope she gets the satisfaction of seeing these bastards in jail for as long as the law allows.

Booyhoo Tue 08-Jan-13 17:29:08

apologies Dahlen. i took your post to mean all rape.

RalphGnu Tue 08-Jan-13 18:18:40

Bumping and seething. Can't get this out of my mind.

Afrodizzywonders Tue 08-Jan-13 18:18:52

I can't believe what I have read in those links, horrified......

blueemerald Tue 08-Jan-13 18:22:27

Woah, do they have permission to put that photo of that girl in the bathroom mirror on the internet for everyone to see? I admire them for bringing this horrendous attack to public attention but to accuse someone of possessing/distributing under age indecent images and then post one of them on a website??

Booyhoo Tue 08-Jan-13 18:29:17

good point blueemerald. there really was no need to post the picture, they could have just said that it was discovered on his computer (or was it his phone?)

NoHank Tue 08-Jan-13 18:37:32

Whilst I found this really difficult to read (am in tears actually) I thank you for making me aware of this. I had not heard anything about this case before.

If I'm honest I mainly lurk on mumsnet and only occasionally post on the more lighthearted threads but I have signed the petitions and hope this very small act will go some way towards seeing justice done for this young ladysad

StuntGirl Tue 08-Jan-13 18:43:59

Absolutely abhorrent. HOW anyone can stand by and watch this happen is BEYOND me. SO many people have failed this young girl, its absolutely sickening.

SucksToBeMe Tue 08-Jan-13 18:47:35

Poor poor girl, how on earth do you move on from such an ordeal? I hope all those involved in disposing of evidence are dealt with accordingly also, shame on them all.

Booyhoo Tue 08-Jan-13 18:51:21

that's what i dont get either stuntgirl. were they all so terrified of speaking out against the 'rape crew' that they couldn't have even slipped away and made a call to the police or even texted a parent and asked them to?

also, the way they took her with them to all the different parties so they could continue raping her. it's almost as if she was a blow up doll or something. it's just fucking sickening that people have raised these men to be so detatched from humanity that they could do this. dont they see she is just like them? she is a human with thoughts and feelings and rights. i just dont get how any of them could be so oblivious to that.

Booyhoo Tue 08-Jan-13 18:53:11

i mean i cant imagine if the same happened to one of them (yeah right!) they would just shrug it off as being inevitable. they would quite rightly feel abused, victimised, violated. how dont they get that she's human?

StuntGirl Tue 08-Jan-13 18:57:56

I watched about 90 seconds of the video where one of them admits to raping her and couldn't stomach any more. SO many guilty people - the other students, the teachers, the law enforcement...this wasn't a crime just committed by a handful of sick individuals but one perpetrated by an entire school, and entire legal department...there just aren't words to adequately describe it sad

PiccadillyCervix Tue 08-Jan-13 19:00:06

I thought that as well blueemerald

Booyhoo Tue 08-Jan-13 19:11:03

i havent seen the footage as dcs are here but will later if i can stomach it.

OlivetheotherReindeer Tue 08-Jan-13 19:21:18

Heart breaking. Can't believe the prosecutor who decided not to charge them is the mother of one. Bumping to keep this active.

Nancy66 Tue 08-Jan-13 19:44:04

the whiff of corruption coming from this is overwhelming.

That poor girl. The picture of her unconcious, being lugged about like a piece of meat is truly horrific.

EllenParsons Tue 08-Jan-13 19:44:05

The whole thing is so so sickening. That video is shocking. Unbelievable that he has not been charged with anything. One of my best friends is American and has a friend who was gang raped by a frat in a situation a bit like this. It is sadly too common. Makes me so angry sad

lovelyladuree Tue 08-Jan-13 19:48:36

Research reveals this to be the biggest internet hoax to reach these shores this year. Media students who took things too far. Stand down everyone. You have been fooled about two weeks after the USA

Nancy66 Tue 08-Jan-13 19:53:13

eh? it's a hoax?

PurityBrown Tue 08-Jan-13 19:53:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 08-Jan-13 19:53:40

If it's a hoax, why are @Anonymous still tweeting about it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now