Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to be disgusted and angry? RAGE RAGE RAGE (Rape related, may trigger)

(208 Posts)
LoopsInHoops Tue 08-Jan-13 14:23:56

You may have heard about the Steubenville rape cover-up in Ohio that was uncovered by hacking group, Anonymous?

I read a few things about it, but hadn't read the hacking group's own account. here it is

I am absolutely disgusted at the level of deceit and evil in one small town.

The poor girl was drugged by a group (having had their coache's permission) then raped by loads of them. And now there are videos floating around the internet, not only of these horrible creatures (most of whom haven't been charged, the police having deleted the incriminating evidence), but also of one admitting to raping her and all his friends finding it absolutely fucking hilarious. here, grim watching, not for the sensitive (like me)

AIBU to have had no idea that the system in a western country can be so utterly fucked up as to allow this behaviour on account of school/sporting popularity? It is so fucking wrong. angry

Flatbread Tue 08-Jan-13 15:45:12

I think in cases like this, where there is clear evidence, everyone guilty should be castrated. That will send a strong message of a zero tolerance rape policy.

raffle Netherlands Tue 08-Jan-13 15:45:33

That link reads almost like a book plot, it's seems impossible for there to be that many sick minded individuals living in the same town, and acting as a collective.

Dahlen Tue 08-Jan-13 15:51:23

Sadly there are plenty of past and contemporaneous examples of the rape and brutalisation of women at the hands of men who feel entitled to behave in such ways and believe themselves to be above accountability. The reason we find this shocking is because we like to believe this sort of thing only happens elsewhere in the world (e.g. rape as a weapon of war in the Republic of Congo or honour-based violence in Pakistan).

In the UK 1 in 9 women will be raped. Don't know what the stats are in the US but western democracies certainly don't have the moral high ground when it comes to mistreatment of women.

AlienananaReflux Tue 08-Jan-13 15:56:13

this is fucking outrageous, and indicitive of rape cses being swept under the carpet all over the world, what the hell is going oN??!!

If my son was one of those boys, I would make sure he faced justice myself.

LoopsInHoops Tue 08-Jan-13 15:57:01

I expect it's more than 1 in 9 in reality. sad Certainly sexual violence of some sort will be higher - non reported.

Tailtwister Tue 08-Jan-13 15:57:49

What a deplorable case. I haven't read the details, but the overall description is enough. If one of my sons was involved, I would be turning him in myself. How adults could help them to cover it up is beyond me.

searching4serenity Tue 08-Jan-13 16:00:58

Horrific. I'm speechless.

juniper904 Tue 08-Jan-13 16:01:50

Absolutely disgusting. The general attitude towards victims of rape repulses me. Far too many people still have this idea that the victim brought it on.

PiccadillyCervix Tue 08-Jan-13 16:03:01

I don't understand the mentality that sports stars or "artists" have a get out clause of being decent humans. Mumsnet thread about polanski retrospective here

Good on anonymous

This is truly and utterly heinous. The more I read about it the more I am getting angry. The corruption, cover up, the amount of people defending these monsters and blaming the victim. I hope that the rally's get bigger, I hope the media interest gets bigger, I hope all the people involved from the rapists themselves, to the law enforcement and the school who are covering this up are exposed as the vile, rancid shits that they are. The world is watching this now.

PiccadillyCervix Tue 08-Jan-13 16:05:34

The Honorable Jane Hanlin is a Prosecuting Attorney for Jefferson County and the mother of Big Red football player Charlie Keenan, who is suspected of being a member of “The Rape Crew”.

holy shit

HecatePropolos Tue 08-Jan-13 16:07:31

revolting.

I was also reading recently about a rape survivor who was fined by the police! Apparently they decided she was making it up.

Much later a man was caught. He had kept pictures of his victims.

One of the pictures was of her.

I want to scream and cry and go crazy with a baseball bat and a million other things when this shit just keeps on happening.

WHEN will women's bodies stop being seen as the property of men?

(not all men have this view. I know this.)

PiccadillyCervix Tue 08-Jan-13 16:07:57

Upsetting that so many of these people were able to leak shit to anonymous after the fact rather than just stop the rapes or get the police over there or the girl's parents. It's not like every kid in the world hasn't got a phone now a days.

PiccadillyCervix Tue 08-Jan-13 16:10:11

If my son was one of those boys, I would make sure he faced justice myself.

Exactly this AlienananaReflux not until after I'd ripped his bloody balls off though

WaspFactory Tue 08-Jan-13 16:17:42

Utterly depressing to know that anyone could do this to another human being, let alone priveleged, educated young men. I hope they all get what they deserve.

lovelyladuree Tue 08-Jan-13 16:47:01

And this is all on MN because? confused

PiccadillyCervix Tue 08-Jan-13 16:48:23

Why do you think lovely confused

Why shouldn't it be on mn?

stopgap Tue 08-Jan-13 16:53:35

Dear god. That is nauseating. If that was my son, he'd be on his way to a Siberian work camp (one-way ticket).

BattlingFanjos Tue 08-Jan-13 16:54:37

This is the first I have heard of this. I truly cannot comprehend the mindset of ANY of the people involved. I can read/hear a lot of horrendous things and feel quite desensitised bit this has made me weep and feel so sick.
I have a son and would personally "do time" if this was him. I do not condone violence but I would kill him, literally I could not EVER turn a blind eye to it or worse, cover it up for him. That poor poor girl. I wish and hope with every fibre of my being that in whatever shape or form these men (they made the choice of men and should be tried as such) get what's coming to them. I am truly disgusted by these animals

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 08-Jan-13 16:54:49

While I don't deny that this needs press attention, and that people should talk about this type of thing, this is incredibly triggering.

Is it possible for something to be put in the title? Not to stop people from looking, that isn't my intention, but just as a warning?

This kind of thing makes me wish that rapists had their balls cut off.

I just hope that she never remembers a single part of her terrible ordeal.

LoopsInHoops Tue 08-Jan-13 17:03:36

No idea why it shouldn't be on MN confused , but have asked MNHQ if they would put a warning in the title. Sorry, the last thing I wanted was to upset people. Sorry sad

WakeUpRosemary Tue 08-Jan-13 17:06:09

There's a book called 'Our Guys' by Bernard Lebkovitz that investigates a similar case of gang rape that happened in 1989 in Glen Ridge, New Jersey. In the Glen Ridge, the survivor had special needs and was very vulnerable. It talks about that strain of American culture that supports sports 'stars' to the detriment of everybody else. I'm horrified that it seems to have got worse.

PiccadillyCervix Tue 08-Jan-13 17:17:56

rosemary there is a strain of all culture that accepts bad behavior from stars. Look at the link I posted up thread or to any of the many footballers who have been charged with sex abuse or where even their victims were blamed, or at fucking Assange who has admitted to having sex without a condone and without consent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now