to think that having a packet of crisps a day is not healthy

(264 Posts)
Badgerwife Tue 08-Jan-13 12:20:40

or am I being precious?

I was having this discussion after watching Britain's Favourite Supermarket Foods on tv with some friends yesterday, who all thought that having a packet a crisp a day was totally fine and clearly thought I was weird to think that it was totally unhealthy. I'll admit I was appalled surprised but this may be because I was brought up in France where you don't really eat crisps unless you're having a picnic, in fact, I'm not even sure you can buy individual packets. So it was a bit of a culture shock when I first moved to England when I realised it's a staple snack/lunch item.

Even now, I never have crisps in the house - unless I'm pregnant like now and I crave the salt content like crazy and they are moreish and delicious plus it's cheaper than my other craving which is McDonalds and way more shameful to admit to but then I worry about my cholesterol going up and clogged arteries with all the fat.

So AIBU?

KellyElly Tue 08-Jan-13 12:49:18

Everything in moderation and that's exactly what one packet is. If you are having a packet of crisps, a bar of chocolate, a piece of cake, lots of cheese and a few glasses of wine all in a day, every day then no. If you eat a healthy well balanced diet there's nothing wrong with having a packet of crisps?!

steppemum Tue 08-Jan-13 12:50:18

I think it is unhealthy to eat a packet of crisps per day

I get fed up with the lunch box police who ban a kitkat, but every child has a packet of crisps and that is fine.

they are very unhealthy, totally salt and bad fat. pretty much no goodness in there. Bread may have salt in it, but good wholemeal bread has many benefits too.

I love an occasional bag, but wish that they were considered treat food and not staples here.

spanky2 Tue 08-Jan-13 12:50:56

A packet of crisps has more potassium than a banana and much nicer!grin

moisturiser Tue 08-Jan-13 12:51:46

They do have a ridiculous amount of fat in them compared to other foods. There was a stage in my life I ate a pack a day and then when I read the label I cut them out completely. Never eat them. I sometimes make my own (potato, microwave, salt, bobs your uncle) - maybe once a year just because it's quite faff. But they are delicious. I once read that if you eat a pack a day you'll consume 2 small barrels of cooking oil in a year. Which has to be bollocks, but still it made me think.

halcyondays Tue 08-Jan-13 12:52:37

It's not that bad as long as the rest of your diet is fairly healthy. When I was at primary school, you could buy a packet of crisps for 10p at breaktime. There was probably a lot more salt in thm then than there is now. Now crisps are a controlled substance and arent allowed at break, because it's "healthy snack" time but they can have them at lunch.

Depends what crisps you eat.

French fries
Quavers
Monster Munch
WW hula Hoops

etc etc...all low in calories and fat! Anything in moderation is the key smile

CadleCrap Tue 08-Jan-13 12:55:12

It depends on your definition of a packet

Uk = a packet of crisps is 25/30 g

Europe =a packet of crisps is the huge bag 200g?

YABU assuming these are kids eating a UK packet.
YANBU if they are eating a europe packet

Flatbread Tue 08-Jan-13 12:56:52

A packet of crisps a day is unhealthy!

Giving it to a child as a part of a packed lunch every day, is just lazy, IMO.

Boiled potatoes, bananas, vegetables, proper meat (not sausages) should be staples, not processed crap.

My dh grew up eating crisps on a regular basis and he still craves them. I hardly ate any as a child and don't miss them at all <wanders off to polish halo>

ifancyashandy Tue 08-Jan-13 12:57:46

I think it's an unhealthy habit. They've practically no nutritional value, are full of salt and fat and don't curb hunger / fill you up.

I never buy them.

Sparklingbrook Tue 08-Jan-13 12:58:44

Ds1 has a packet of crisps and a bar of chocolate in his lunchbox. Every day. shock

Badgerwife Tue 08-Jan-13 13:00:17

I suspected there would be no consensus on this one!!!! And it's making me crave crisps!!!

I think I could probably relax my stance on it, but knowing me, if there were crisps in the house at all times, I would struggle to keep off them, I find them harder to resist than sweets.

CMOTDibbler Tue 08-Jan-13 13:00:59

Meh, can't really get worked up about it - I don't think a packet a day is a bad thing per se, but its all about balance, and at least with the plainer flavours you know just whats in them.

I didn't get crisps on any sort of regular basis as a child, and they are something I love as an adult, so I don't think theres a correlation tbh

chocoluvva Tue 08-Jan-13 13:01:15

They're quite salty, but no more than than a similar portion of houmous or a cheese sandwich.

You notice the salt more though as it's on the surface of the crisps rather than hidden within.

I

WillSucceed Tue 08-Jan-13 13:02:24

Well you are being totally reasonable but I challenge you find anyone in this country to agree with you.

Where I live, crisp are a 'normal' snack for 3 years old. They are also a normal part of lunch, both for adults and children.
Quite a few people have told me that it's better to eat crisps than biscuits/chocolate (even home made ones) because it won't damage teeth
etc etc

In a different place/country, most people would think you are crazy to have them more than once a week if that. It's a 'special treat' that you eat sparingly, because well, it's full of fats (and esp trans fats), full of additives etc... Has anyone looked at the list of ingredients for crisps? The 'potatoes' just look lost in the middle.....

Sparking - my DS has crisps and something like a brunch bar/mini roll.....every day!!!

He is perfectly healthy, I make sure he gets his 5 a day and no way am I lazy. I am hardly going to send him to school with a boiled potato in his lunch box although actually, would love to once and get someone to photograph his face when he opens it smile

My mum and dad didn't buy them when I was a kid........I love em though.

LouisWalshesCloset Tue 08-Jan-13 13:03:54

You were appalled ?

grin

I have a packet of crisps most days.

But I don't eat chocolate or drink.

Apart from that we eat a healthy diet.

Sparklingbrook Tue 08-Jan-13 13:05:55

grin Betty. Now DS1 is 13 there are other worries to prioritise. He has his own money, and a debit card and access to shops, I can advise him what to buy but can't be with him 24/7 to watch out for crisp purchasing.

WillSucceed Tue 08-Jan-13 13:06:45

Btw, you don't have to 'relax' or 'chill out' if you really don't think it's a good idea to have crisps in your house.
Whatever your reasons.

atthewelles Tue 08-Jan-13 13:08:18

It depends on the rest of your diet. It's no worse than someone having a bar of chocolate every day or a glass of wine with dinner every evening or a couple of biscuits watching television. If the rest of your diet is reasonably balanced and healthy then I wouldn't worry about a packet of crisps.

Newbiemomma Tue 08-Jan-13 13:08:51

Crisps are high in fat, salt and many contain MSG. All make you crave more and more and quite frankly, why would anyone want to encourage their children to eat such utter c**p!

As a nutritionist I come across many parents who simply aren't aware of the effects diet has on their children's physical,mental and emotional well being.

People need to be educated. A treat for a child should be some strawberries, for example. Early encouragement is the key to ensuring that our children grow up thinking that healthy, nutritious food is a treat. Not some man made p, unnatural rubbish.

My DS has things like strawberries every day, I don't want him thinking of them as a treat not to be had all the time.

As long as he grows up with a healthy attitude to food, has stuff in moderation then that is good enough for me. I think banning certain foods can have negative effects and lead to problems in the future but thats just my opinion.

OmgATalkingOnion Tue 08-Jan-13 13:12:47

I have no problem with it. My dc usually have a packet in their lunch. They have a great diet, take lots of exercise and are tall and slim. I just can't get het up about certain foods being appalling. If the rest of your life is well balanced then the overall picture is what matters rather than focussing on just one aspect of it.

SanityClause Tue 08-Jan-13 13:13:07

DS's old school had an inspection, where they were marked down for allowing crisps etc as morning snacks. The head said that if he'd realised, he would've asked everyone to bring in only healthy snacks on the day of the inspection. hmm

His attitude was "a little of what you fancy does you good". But to me, a packet of crisps every day is not "a little" it makes it a regular food item.

bigkidsdidit Tue 08-Jan-13 13:13:54

No, a bag a day is not healthy

I am astonished children have a bag of crisps and a chocolate bar every day in packed lunches. You wouldn't eat that for lunch at work would you confused Crisps are treats - once a week, twice a week ish maybe. Not a daily food

but I care a lot abotu nutrition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now