Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To "grass up" this childminder to ofsted?

(134 Posts)
Bluemonkeyspots Tue 08-Jan-13 11:55:14

Now i know the general mumsnet opinion is to mind your own business but please hear me out first, then you can tell me to mind my own business if you want ;)

Friend has started using one of her friends for childminding, she has her 2dc during the week, she has also recommended cm friend to another friend and her 1dc will be starting soon.

Cm has 3dc of her own and also watches 2dc full time for another parent.

That will be 8dc overall and 5 off them
are preschoolers.

When I asked about ratios friend said she knew cm did not have a variation for ratios but her and her friend were happy enough to carry on with the arrangment and the other mum who user the cm full time will be none the wiser as she will drop off before the other mindees arrive and pick up after they have gone home.

My problem with this is that i am a mum who uses childcare and i would be really angry if this happened to me, I don't know this mum at all but she is paying the same rate as other parents do but her dc will get much less attention and I'm also not sure that cm's insurance will be valid (not to mention car sears etc)

What would you do?

chocoluvva Wed 09-Jan-13 18:27:03

realcoalfire, I couldn't say for certain but I'd bet she didn't used to have three children over to play for the whole day without another mum being in attendance.

PiccadillyCervix Wed 09-Jan-13 15:54:28

How many parents have 8 preschool aged children? confused

I'd like to pin a badge on them.

MrsReiver Wed 09-Jan-13 11:41:03

If I was the childminder and was genuinely doing nothing wrong, I would rather I was investigated and had my name cleared than have people speculating about me behind my back.

realcoalfire Wed 09-Jan-13 11:33:30

Chocoluvva-but presumably they have friends over sometimes?

chocoluvva Wed 09-Jan-13 11:03:00

I don't know anyone who has more than six children and in both the six-children families there's a big gap between the older ones and the younger ones.

I know one mum who had five children within 8 years and I consider her to be exceptionally energetic.

Who are the "plenty of mothers"?

realcoalfire Wed 09-Jan-13 09:14:33

"Plenty of mothers cope perfectly well with 8 or more DC of their own."

that was purely in response to the claim that these children are in immediate danger because 8 is too many be safely looked after by one person.

realcoalfire Wed 09-Jan-13 08:19:56

that was purely in response to the claim that these children are in immediate danger purely because 8 is too many be safely looked after.

JustFabulous Wed 09-Jan-13 07:47:24

I just knew someone would trot this out. CM and mothers are not comparable for obvious reasons.

JustFabulous Wed 09-Jan-13 07:45:35

"even if she is breaking the law....." = no excuse to stay quiet.

Maybe the other mum told you because she isn't as cool as she makes out and actually wants things investigated.

Children are not being looked after as well as they deserve and that needs investigation. All saying keep quiet are a disgrace.

It might be annoying to be checked up on but decent CM will accept that the childrens wellfare is much more important than her embarrassment or annoyance.

Maybe if everyone looked out for each other more, and cared, we wouldn't have so much shit in the world.

thebody Tue 08-Jan-13 23:02:13

But if then she is within her ratios and all insurances are fine then Ofsted will see this and all will be ok.

Ofsted arnt a waste if time to he fair, as a cm I found them generally professional, approachable and fair.

If and I say if an unregistered cm is minding like this she is breaking the law and giving all of us excellent cms a bad name..

hammyimo Tue 08-Jan-13 22:53:45

I think that's what I've been trying to say realcoal but you put so much better. hearsay.

realcoalfire Tue 08-Jan-13 22:34:13

You don't know anything though! If I am reading your post correctly, this CM is a friend of a friend .You don't even know her,You are hearing everything second hand ! Does your friend really know what hours each of the 8 children are doing?
Maybe some of the children are mornings only and some are afternoons only.I think reporting someone on hearsay is bad form

PiccadillyCervix Tue 08-Jan-13 22:08:51

I'd grass

itsallinmyhead Tue 08-Jan-13 21:42:13

Am I missing something? It's not the OPs responsibility to investigate all the facts.

Where there are concerns for the safety of a child/ children she has a duty to report it.

nokidshere Tue 08-Jan-13 21:41:08

I already told her to report it immediately as soon as she said that the children would be in the car unrestrained.

The rest of it is neither here nor there without knowing the ages and times of the children involved. At no time was abuse or mistreatment mentioned by the OP.

It would take but a few seconds to clarify the details with her friend - so why not do that and then give ofsted (who frankly are a waste of space) more salient facts to work with?

The fact that you think I am a "lone voice" amongst childminders shows simply that I have my own mind and do not follow the pack thoughts of everyone else. Had the OP said originally that the children were at risk (in the car) then I certainly would have amended my first response as I did afterwards.

Nothing in the original thread threw up any concerns for the children - simply that one of the parents might have been lied to - but the OP has no idea what the arrangements with that parent and minder are or indeed whether she is over her numbers or not.

Someone not in childcare might well see me with hoardes of children and feel that they should report me for being over my numbers - I am often seen out and about with up to 8 or 9 children, occasionally more. In the 13 years that I have been minding I have never once been over my numbers but can see how someone else might think that I had.

So just to clarify - I amended my response to report immediately as soon as the OP said that 8 children would be in a 6 seater car with no restraints or even dedicated seats.

And any of my parents would tell you that I am overprotective of children rather than underprotective and I would be the first to report any abuse or neglect of any kind - even it was a close friend.

AlexanderS Tue 08-Jan-13 21:39:12

"How would you feel to be suspended at work pending investigation?"

hammyimo, read the thread! She will not be suspended at work pending investigation. She will be subject to a unannounced visit by Ofsted, who will then give her a chance to get her shit together if she is doing something naughty.

rainrainandmorerain Tue 08-Jan-13 21:32:56

Report. No question.

Car issue is a big deal - but she is also LYING TO THE PARENTS of at least one set of children about their care. About what they are getting when they pay her and the circumstances of the children's care.

That is totally unacceptable. I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her.

KellyElly Tue 08-Jan-13 21:22:37

Nokids your comment If none of the children are yours then its really none of your concern. is what I found the most shocking of all your posts. For someone who works in child care this does not exactly show someone who feels a duty of care to children. You seem a lone voice amongst the child minders on this thread who are saying to report her. I would have imagine as a child minder you would be aware that the rules and guidelines are there for a reason. Noone is talking about abuse but cetainly neglect would be a fitting word apart from the fact she is breaking the law! I would imagine any parents with children in your care would find your attitude utterly at odds with the job you do as well.

LemonBreeland Tue 08-Jan-13 21:14:56

You know for certain that she is going to be breaking the law regarding car seats. I would report purely for that.

Never mind the care in her house, and whether she might give good care there. Anyone who can willingly take those risks is not a good childcarer.

nokidshere Tue 08-Jan-13 21:12:58

nokidshere Are you a child minder? If so your comments are an absolute disgrace. I'm thankful I don't have someone like you looking after my children. Its like a social worker coming on here and saying someone is malicious to report possible child abuse unless they are absolutely sure of the facts and to mind their own business.

Firstly I have already said that the car situation is a criminal offence and a safeguarding issue and needs to be reported. The car situation wasn't mentioned in the original post.

Secondly I pointed out that the ratios are not necessarily wrong - it depends on the ages and times of the children - the OP doesn't give this information.

And Thirdly, apart from the situation with the car no-one has said that any child is being mistreated or abused. Just because some people feel that 8 is too many for them doesn't mean it is for someone else.

thebody Tue 08-Jan-13 21:10:40

Er and the mother who doesn't know may well do so but turning a blind eye.

It's cheap child care and anyone sensible looks at the ofsted cert and insurances Certs.

My DC might not know to be unhappy about being allowed to travel unrestrained in a car. Safety decisions need to be made by informed adults working within the confines of the law.

thebody Tue 08-Jan-13 21:08:45

Hi op. as an ex cm who worked full time and kept to all the rules re Ofsted, insurance, planning, obs, healthy meals, and bloody well PAID TAX it pissed me off no end to be undercut by untrained,( yes cms are trained now at college) and undermining my legitimate business.

It's illegal and wrong and the children could come to harm and parents won't have a leg to stand on here in case if injury or worse.

Report please please....

bigbluebus Tue 08-Jan-13 21:06:12

If I am reading this correctly, then the CM will be breaking the law regarding seatbelts if she carries more under 12s than she has seatbelts in her car - so she cannot carry more than 6 children in her 7 seater car and she will be looking after 8 chldren. I can't imagine she would be taking Secondary school age children 1 mile to school in the car, so am assuming they are all Primary school age She will be in trouble with the Police, never mind OFSTED if she gets caught.

KellyElly Tue 08-Jan-13 21:04:47

For all the people saying "it won't do her any harm to be reported to Ofsted if she's done nothing wrong". How would you feel to be suspended at work pending investigation? It's stressful, humiliating, extremely worrying and can damage your reputation for good. I've known people at work (used to work in public sector) who became clinically depressed following investigations following unfounded complaints. Again a work enviroment relating to adults. I would imagine any stress or humiliation would be nothing compared to what one of the parents would feel if something happened to their child. If you choose to work with children you absolutely must stick within the rules and guidelines. There is also the expectation that you will be on occasion scrutinised more closely than those in other professions and rightly so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now