To "grass up" this childminder to ofsted?

(134 Posts)
Bluemonkeyspots Tue 08-Jan-13 11:55:14

Now i know the general mumsnet opinion is to mind your own business but please hear me out first, then you can tell me to mind my own business if you want ;)

Friend has started using one of her friends for childminding, she has her 2dc during the week, she has also recommended cm friend to another friend and her 1dc will be starting soon.

Cm has 3dc of her own and also watches 2dc full time for another parent.

That will be 8dc overall and 5 off them
are preschoolers.

When I asked about ratios friend said she knew cm did not have a variation for ratios but her and her friend were happy enough to carry on with the arrangment and the other mum who user the cm full time will be none the wiser as she will drop off before the other mindees arrive and pick up after they have gone home.

My problem with this is that i am a mum who uses childcare and i would be really angry if this happened to me, I don't know this mum at all but she is paying the same rate as other parents do but her dc will get much less attention and I'm also not sure that cm's insurance will be valid (not to mention car sears etc)

What would you do?

JustFabulous Wed 09-Jan-13 07:45:35

"even if she is breaking the law....." = no excuse to stay quiet.

Maybe the other mum told you because she isn't as cool as she makes out and actually wants things investigated.

Children are not being looked after as well as they deserve and that needs investigation. All saying keep quiet are a disgrace.

It might be annoying to be checked up on but decent CM will accept that the childrens wellfare is much more important than her embarrassment or annoyance.

Maybe if everyone looked out for each other more, and cared, we wouldn't have so much shit in the world.

JustFabulous Wed 09-Jan-13 07:47:24

"Plenty of mothers cope perfectly well with 8 or more DC of their own."

I just knew someone would trot this out. CM and mothers are not comparable for obvious reasons.

realcoalfire Wed 09-Jan-13 08:19:56

that was purely in response to the claim that these children are in immediate danger purely because 8 is too many be safely looked after.

realcoalfire Wed 09-Jan-13 09:14:33

that was purely in response to the claim that these children are in immediate danger because 8 is too many be safely looked after by one person.

chocoluvva Wed 09-Jan-13 11:03:00

I don't know anyone who has more than six children and in both the six-children families there's a big gap between the older ones and the younger ones.

I know one mum who had five children within 8 years and I consider her to be exceptionally energetic.

Who are the "plenty of mothers"?

realcoalfire Wed 09-Jan-13 11:33:30

Chocoluvva-but presumably they have friends over sometimes?

MrsReiver Wed 09-Jan-13 11:41:03

If I was the childminder and was genuinely doing nothing wrong, I would rather I was investigated and had my name cleared than have people speculating about me behind my back.

PiccadillyCervix Wed 09-Jan-13 15:54:28

How many parents have 8 preschool aged children? confused

I'd like to pin a badge on them.

chocoluvva Wed 09-Jan-13 18:27:03

realcoalfire, I couldn't say for certain but I'd bet she didn't used to have three children over to play for the whole day without another mum being in attendance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now