Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that the rioters in East Belfast are mainly bored teenagers rather than loyalists?

(31 Posts)
VestaCurry Tue 08-Jan-13 08:49:07

All the news footage I've seen indicates they're between 12-18 years old.

Are they really rioting because of the flag or because it's something to do?

Stokes Tue 08-Jan-13 18:49:24

IMO it was started by the unionist politicians playing with people like puppeteers, all to get Naomi Long of the Alliance party out of her seat in Westminster. The flag vote was just the thing they chose to rouse the population, if that hadn't happened, they would have chosen something else. I like to think they didn't anticipate it kicking off the way it has, especially in East Belfast but who knows.

There is definitely something more going on out in East Belfast - while there was violence in many other parts of the city before Christmas (I was caught up in some of it when they attacked the car I was driving and was exceedingly lucky to walk away), it has died down now it seems.

ginmakesitallok Tue 08-Jan-13 19:32:50

Tee - there are 61 integrated schools in N Ireland - with only 5% of children attending one. That means 95% of children in N Ireland still attend a catholic or a protestant school.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Tue 08-Jan-13 19:34:13

Poor Belfast sad

After everything that's been achieved in the last fifteen years or so.

JamieandtheMagiTorch Tue 08-Jan-13 19:36:32

It's so depressing and self-destructive.

ginmakesitallok Tue 08-Jan-13 19:38:11

And while it's maybe on 1000 people directly involved in the riots, what about the thousands of people who spend July parading, decked in Union Jacks and singing sectarian songs? What about the thousands of people who vote on sectarian lines? What about the people supporting naming a town park after a hunger striker?

WipsGlitter Tue 08-Jan-13 19:50:00

gin that's it totally accurate; my DS attends a 'Protestant' school but he's no religion (mixed marriage - chose not to baptise) and his school is about 1/3 Protestant, 1/3 catholic, 1/3 "other".

I agree there is something 'more' in east Belfast. But I don't get the lament that there's been 'constant' erosion of the Protestant culture, what specifically go they mean? For me a flag is just a symbol, fly the flag, don't fly it. Who really gives a fuck? Cultural identity should bf more than a flag. I also don't know what they hope to achieve now, there's no way it's going to back up or the other side will kick off do its an impasse. Protestant leaders and representatives need to take some leadership and make it clear that is not going to happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now