Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to loathe people who seem to think that their personal tax contribution pays for absolutely everything and everyone

(74 Posts)
sockmuppet Mon 07-Jan-13 18:59:16

Sorry thread about a thread blush the care home one!

When I hear people getting angry because their taxes are paying for parts of the social system they don't agree with would I be unreasonable to ask them in more detail how much they actually pay in tax. Then argue that they in all likelihood don't actually cover their own social benefits of education and medical care etc?

Why do people think they personally pay for the entire public workforce and feel the need to tell individuals that "I pay your wages mate" or "I don't want to pay for someone else's sick aunt" You know the type I mean.

sockmuppet Mon 07-Jan-13 19:46:33

Unfortunately jamdonut it's not the brightest of society that say this sort of crap. Maybe you should have retorted "and I paid for your education and that was a waste of money"

expatinscotland Mon 07-Jan-13 19:46:38

YANBU. An ignorant assumption along with the one that taxes are a personal bank account - what you pay in, you should get out in cash, with interest, because boons such as good infrasctructure and defence, a stable government that trades with stability, thereby allowing most people to go about making a living unmolested, it free from all cost. And that one should be 'rewarded' beyond the cost of these things, in proportion to one's moral merit as a financial vehicle, a stupid and bonkers notion.

jamdonut Mon 07-Jan-13 19:48:47

grin well said sockmuppet, wish I'd thought of that one!

VBisme Mon 07-Jan-13 19:58:22

sock returning pixie grin

TidyDancer Mon 07-Jan-13 19:58:43

Haha, I wish I had. I don't work in that role anymore though.

Will pass that to former colleagues though! grin

CloudsAndTrees Mon 07-Jan-13 20:08:17

YABU. People who pay tax have a right to comment on how it's spend.

It's far more annoying when people claim they pay tax because they pay VAT out of their benefits. Or they claim they are contributing to society because they look after their own children, when they are living on benefits.

However, people who claim they pay the wages of a civil servant are just twats.

expatinscotland Mon 07-Jan-13 20:10:50

Yes, they do have the right: to vote for legislators who decide how it is spent.

TandB Mon 07-Jan-13 20:12:09

I occasionally get the "I pay your wages" thing from beligerant clients - I'm a criminal lawyer.

I have been known to ask for a pay rise on the basis that the remuneration for legal aid work has been steadily declining for about 20 years now - and then I explain it in great detail until their eyes glaze over.

Depending on who is saying it, and on how beligerant I am feeling, I might also point out that you don't pay tax on stuff you nick from Tescos, so no, you don't actually pay my wages.

Sunnywithshowers Mon 07-Jan-13 20:13:54

YANBU

sockmuppet Mon 07-Jan-13 20:16:55

Clouds and trees

They have a right to comment on how it's spent but not to preface all comments with MY taxes.

MrsDeVere Mon 07-Jan-13 20:17:58

YANBU.
Despite me and OH having paid taxes for over 50 years between us, our contributions were pretty much wiped out by DD getting cancer.

It doesnt stop me using it as a way of shutting up 23 year old taxpayers who think they can tell me what to spend my tax credits on because 'I pay for them' though grin

I am proud to pay my taxes and I do not understand those who bitch about it. I have to suck up that my money goes on fighting wars so why cant people stop moaning about their .2p going to a single parent?

expatinscotland Mon 07-Jan-13 20:23:19

Of course, we need a Benefit Basher du Jour to try to hijack the thread to steer it towards benefits and the 'feckless' hmm.

sockmuppet Mon 07-Jan-13 20:26:48

Yes, expat give it time grin

I find the benefit basher's are often the trade cash in hand lovers. One rule for me and one for anyone on benefits because after all, I pay for your benefits mate!!

financialwizard Mon 07-Jan-13 20:29:55

kungfu that is hilarious. I cannot believe they have the audacity tbh.

Bubblegum78 Mon 07-Jan-13 20:30:34

I work for the NHS.... seriously, don't get me started!

It's right up there with "If you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about" This is from beady relatives who like to watch you whilst you are washing their loved ones botty.

or... "Well you chose the job" if you mention that you are short staffed or the ward is unmanagable. Well actually we didn't, no one chooses to work under those conditions.

YANBU my grandmother claims she is sick of her taxes paying for people. Yet she has never had a job (my grandad worked she didnt) and now claims a pension so I am thinking she hasnt actually paid much towards anyone. Not that I would ever point this out mind.

expatinscotland Mon 07-Jan-13 20:34:55

5dcs, I would!

sockmuppet Mon 07-Jan-13 20:37:10

bubblegum seriously? That is outrageous!

whois Mon 07-Jan-13 21:14:58

YANBU

Most people have had years and years of state education and some sort of healthcare on the NHS.

Still kind of annoying how much I pay in tax every month though, and the fact there are massive net drains on the economy. But Despite complaining I wouldn't actually vote for lower taxes to the detriment of education/ health etc.

KatyPeril Mon 07-Jan-13 21:16:47

YANBU. I had my Uncle lecture me on how he's 'sick to death' of keeping me. He forgets his daughter is also on benefits.....

bumperella Mon 07-Jan-13 23:02:24

It's not a savings scheme. You aren't SUPPOSED to get out what you pay in.

Taxation is to pay for services that you (as a voter) think make for a "good", just, and fair society.

If you imagine you have total amnesia, but are fully functioning, then you'd have no idea how much you have, where you live, if you've children, if your parents have savings, if you're very ill, disabled, if you've dependents, if you need a carer, or if you ARE a carer, if you earn £250k pa or are unemployed..... etc etc etc.....then decide what services you think society should provide out of taxes that you would have to pay.

FestiviaBlueberry Mon 07-Jan-13 23:04:45

No YANBU

They are nobs.

<Gavel>

Next

MiniEggsinJanuary Mon 07-Jan-13 23:11:07

I can still picture the man who declared that he was paying the wages of a woman in our office as he ranted in a total rage because she wouldn't stop the photocopier to let him do his stuff. I was 18 at the time and he is now a high flying civil servant. Oh the irony! I thought he was a tosser then and nothing's changed!

sockmuppet Tue 08-Jan-13 09:51:34

bumperella

Exactly it's not a savings scheme, so why do people think they pay others wages?

yellowsheep Tue 08-Jan-13 11:25:56

My niece had surgery and treatment which cost nearly 200,000. My son also had complicated surgery I am forever gratefull that we live in a county where we don't have to pay at use all family are tax payers. we pay what we owe and are thankfull that others do the same

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now