Garlic cloves as suppositories for DS

(141 Posts)
babybarrister Sat 05-Jan-13 20:11:21

They are meant to have good anti bacterial qualities and DH and I have done it ourselves - so WIBU to 'give' DS a garlic clove (peeled of course and at night time to exit the next morning ...)?

Stixswhichtwizzle Sun 06-Jan-13 22:17:27

stifnstav grin grin only up to page 4 but am so relieved you decided against this! If a pupil of mine mentioned this I'd be horrified! I had no idea this was a thing

PrincessMononoke Sun 06-Jan-13 22:28:12

Just read the other thread, looks like he had a lucky escape.

biff23 Sun 06-Jan-13 22:28:20

Thank you so much for linking the other garlic thread. I have never laughed so much in my whole life. Tried to tell dh but I was laughing and crying too hard - too funny for words.

Punkatheart Sun 06-Jan-13 22:28:57

Perhaps a future article in the book 'Stupid Places to Stick Garlic' by I. A. M. Crazy:

jezebel.com/5085840/where-garlic-has-never-gone-before-or-how-not-to-cure-a-yeast-infection

If a pupil tells a teacher that his parents wanted to put garlic cloves up,his bottom, I suspect that it would be more than just an embarrassment for the parents, babybarrister - it could be taken to social services.

Loquace Sun 06-Jan-13 22:37:30

'Stupid Places to Stick Garlic' by I. A. M. Crazy:

Is this story in there?

WARNING, this is tragic, not funny and demonstrates that the persistant belief that shoving garlic in a nether region orifice is not always just silly, but can also be deadly. A newborn died as a result of "garlic faith".

our midwives recommended Tweeny start putting a garlic clove in her vagina nightly to try and kill the bacteria. Tweeny followed the regimen faithfully.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 06-Jan-13 22:45:31

I think there's probably a limit to the antibacterial properties of garlic.

If you got a massive plate of shit and grated some garlic in it - would all the bacteria disappear? Would you be happy to pick up this now hygienic poo?

Thought not.

Exactly the same non effect up your arse.

I do put raw garlic to my chickens water. It's meant to be a natural wormer.

Punkatheart Sun 06-Jan-13 22:51:51

Yes I use garlic powder (horse stuff) for my chickens. It's not for worming so much though, Viva - it's simply a health addition and reputedly deters parasites. Works for cats too, apparently. They have vinegar (horsey stuff again) for a natural dewormer in their water. But if I tried shoving it up their backsides....

I love natural stuff. But there is such a thing as gravity. Your bottom is an exit.

(Unless you like Center Parcs stuff, which is another thread ENTIRELY)

SarahStratton Sun 06-Jan-13 22:57:00

I used to out garlic in my horses' feeds, it was supposed to keep the flies away.

It did jackshit, which is probably what it would do shoved up someone's arse.

Pandemoniaa Sun 06-Jan-13 23:05:52

I have nearly shat myself with laughter reading the linked, classic thread.

From which I actually found this paragraph as hilarious as I did the OP's garlic suppository predicament:

I also had a friend with a Great Dane that was incontinent and every time it barked a little turd shot out at toddler eye height...that was also vile. Although someties it missed people and just hit the wall.

gimmecakeandcandy Sun 06-Jan-13 23:06:33

Yes! Please anyone who missed that thread that hollame has linked to further up, read it! I still remember it from last year. Hilarious!

Kleptronic Sun 06-Jan-13 23:12:47

I dare not go to the linked thread, I was laughing at 'One good thing. You can never be buggered by vampires.' but the incontinent Great Dane has prompted my first ever MN tears of mirth. If I laugh any more I may change my face forever. Top thread everyone, don't get any funnier!

Punkatheart Sun 06-Jan-13 23:21:05

Mine was the first (vampire) but the Great Dane waters the eyes indeed....

Loquace, what a sad, sad story you linked to.

However <pedant alert> what went wrong there was awful, terrible misinformation, by the sounds of it from a MW shock, NOT the homebirth.

Also <more pedantery> using garlic for whatever purpose (outside cooking) could be seen as Herbal Medicine, not homeopathy. Which is sugar pills. Herbal Medicine I don't have an issue with - I see your willow bark and show you my Aspirin grin.

Oh, and the incontient Great Dane just helped my DSs greatly with their back-to-school depression grin

Loquace Mon 07-Jan-13 08:58:03

by the sounds of it from a MW

Exactly.

Garlic in the vagina is widely recommended in lieu of antibiotics by American "lay" midwives.

In the states midwives that have the equivilant education to the midwives in Europe in the main do NOT attend homebirths.

Home births there are typically attended by midwives who are not required to have finished highschool, all you have to do is complete a correspondance course and watch some homebirths.

They do not have medical training. But they do have lots of "training" in alt med/unicorn rainbow dust/trust birth.

Hence the widespread recommendations to their clients to use garlic in the vagina, placing newborns at risk.

There is very real harm (often promoted very strongly by psudo medical persons) in this continued belief that garlic shoved here there and everywhere is basically like taking the bestest antibacterial in the world whilst sticking it to Ebil Big Pharma.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now