Garlic cloves as suppositories for DS

(141 Posts)
babybarrister Sat 05-Jan-13 20:11:21

They are meant to have good anti bacterial qualities and DH and I have done it ourselves - so WIBU to 'give' DS a garlic clove (peeled of course and at night time to exit the next morning ...)?

Grapesoda Sat 05-Jan-13 20:38:24

I do hope this was a joke (albeit not v funny).
I don't know how old your ds is or why the fuck you'd want to put garlic up his bottom but this is not medically recommended and inserting anything like that into a child's anus/ rectum can cause serious damage.
Absolutely fucking
What you and your dp do with your own arses is of course your business (and now ours of course).

Grapesoda Sat 05-Jan-13 20:39:10

Absolutely unbelievable! Rather.

Littlefish Sat 05-Jan-13 20:40:09

I remember a thread years ago on Mumsnet about this. Someone had done it, and the garlic clove had come out at work the next day with the most unbelievable stench.

HollaAtMeBaby Sat 05-Jan-13 20:40:50

I urge you to read this classic thread and never even think of garlic suppositories again, OP...

OnceUponAThyme Sat 05-Jan-13 20:43:27

why would you shove garlic up your arse? confused
what does it do? other than presumably make your farts more interesting.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sat 05-Jan-13 20:44:09

Too many questions...I have too many questions..about...to..explode...

HollaAtMeBaby You linked to exactly the thread I was thinking of when I opened this one. grin grin

NoelHeadbands Sat 05-Jan-13 20:51:05

What does it do

I'm out of fresh, would Eazy Garlic work?

makeloveyourgoal Sat 05-Jan-13 20:51:19

This thread smells fishy. Not garlicky.

DearPrudence Sat 05-Jan-13 20:53:18

It's weird and unpleasant at best. And YABU.

laurenamium Sat 05-Jan-13 20:59:23

YABU that poor child sad

FredFredGeorge Sat 05-Jan-13 21:01:31

SDTGisAChristmassyWolefGenius The theory would be that the bacteria there is the wrong bacteria, so by killing it it gives a chance of the right strains to colonise.

I don't think it makes any sense to do it to yourself though, let alone a child who can't consent... but that is I believe the hypothesis. Transplants of bacteria from one person to another are successful for some things though, so the general idea of bacteria being "wrong" is perhaps meaningful.

PseudoBadger Sat 05-Jan-13 21:05:27

'Colonise' - very good FredFredGeorge grin

CheungFun Sat 05-Jan-13 21:08:39

Just confused as to why you would want to do this....hmm

babybarrister Sat 05-Jan-13 21:29:38

Well DH swears it has got rid of his cough which da and I also have so thought I would give it a whirl - why not?! Just another alternative therapy which may or may not work as far as I am concerned! DS (6) is sound asleep having made his views v cleargrin

SamSmalaidh Sat 05-Jan-13 21:33:00

Um... no. You cannot push things up a child's bottom, and putting garlic in your bottom won't get rid of a cough confused

just no

rub vicks on his feet, calpol if he needs it, open window for fresh in the bedroom

it's not alternative therapy, it's introducing a foreign object into your child's bottom which is very dubious practice indeed

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Sat 05-Jan-13 21:35:30

I urge you to read the link HollaAtMeBaby posted. I vividly remember that thread grin and envy <sick face

Why on earth would anything shoved up your arse cure your cold??
Because you end up too scared to cough or summat?!

Your DH is a weirdo grin.

HollyTheHedgehog Sat 05-Jan-13 21:37:22

Alternative therapies + AIBU? Really?

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 05-Jan-13 21:39:48

Raw garlic when used topically on skin is a irritant it can cause blisters and third degree burns,

This is more likely to happen to children and elderly people.

Fred, colds are caused by viruses, not bacteria. Respiratory viruses.

Our bowels are full of bacteria who really like to be left alone.

Suppositories work well, do not hurt, are not abusive to use - even with children hmm (you repressed Brits, you) and can be a godsend when confronted with a vomiting, febrile child. Or a fitting person. Or somebody who does not tolerate some drugs well by mouth (me - Voltarol. After my first ERCP after MC, I asked for a Voltarol suppository to go where the sun don't shine before I woke up with the subsequent ones).

Garlic is for cooking <gavel>.

judefawley Sat 05-Jan-13 21:40:48

We went on holiday with some friends, she's Danish & they live in Denmark.

She was constantly sticking things up her kids' backsides, or so it seemed to us.

But garlic? A 6 year old? No. It's just not part of our culture here, so it seems highly inappropriate.

WhySoSirius Sat 05-Jan-13 21:41:38

<build some sort of protection advise in case someone tries to sneak in my room and put garlic in my bum>

Thanks folks!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sat 05-Jan-13 21:43:23

Your DH is bonkers.....there is no need to say anymore!

Except perhaps, that your DS clearly has more common sensegrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now