Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Garlic cloves as suppositories for DS

(141 Posts)
babybarrister Sat 05-Jan-13 20:11:21

They are meant to have good anti bacterial qualities and DH and I have done it ourselves - so WIBU to 'give' DS a garlic clove (peeled of course and at night time to exit the next morning ...)?

chandellina Sat 05-Jan-13 20:15:17

Wow, I've never heard of that. Doesn't it burn?

usualsuspect Sat 05-Jan-13 20:16:39

I really wouldn't.

CajaDeLaMemoria Sat 05-Jan-13 20:17:17

Oh god, don't do it!!

Some adults claim it works (and it's great if it does!) but it's far too strong for children. They have more sensitive skin....

I'd never heard of this until we treated a child who'd tried this. Eirgh.. Put me off ever trying!

ginhag Sat 05-Jan-13 20:17:47

WHY?

And yes, unless you have an actual reason then it's not really on to stick things up your child's bum. YABU

makeloveyourgoal Sat 05-Jan-13 20:18:12

What for??

Yes, it's fine - we Brits are very squeamish about suppositories but its very common on the continent

usualsuspect Sat 05-Jan-13 20:18:48

Is he constipated?

CuddlyBlanket Sat 05-Jan-13 20:19:11

Don't put things up a child's bum unless medicine. shock

Maybe a smaller clove then grin if he's very young

Arithmeticulous Sat 05-Jan-13 20:19:37

What for?

SamSmalaidh Sat 05-Jan-13 20:19:59

For what purpose? confused

I wouldn't stick random things in a child's bottom tbh.

tinkertitonk Sat 05-Jan-13 20:20:11

Why in god's name would you do that to your child?

Why is it necessary to have an anti-bacterial suppository?

Are you Cherie Blair?

ginmakesitallok Sat 05-Jan-13 20:20:14

Why do you need anything antibacterial up your bum?

Softlysoftly Sat 05-Jan-13 20:20:18

Why does he need one??!

And no I wouldn't, don't think they are a miracle cure either, women in the US have been told to use them to combat Group BStrep before chdbirth, needless to say I learnt this from a story of a mother who lost her baby to it as garlic cloves (for that at least) are bollocks.

AllYoursBabooshka Sat 05-Jan-13 20:20:30

Is he ill or constipated?

Unless there is a reason then no, I wouldn't do it.

Fairylea Sat 05-Jan-13 20:20:51

If it's not on medical advice then no. Just don't.

catgirl1976geesealaying Sat 05-Jan-13 20:21:05

Are you planning on cooking him or something

DunkyWhorey Sat 05-Jan-13 20:21:46

If he's ill or constipated, see a doctor. An actual one.

Fairylea Sat 05-Jan-13 20:22:39

Apart from anything else I can't imagine how uncomfortable that would be! I wouldn't like a garlic clove up my bum. Poor child !

ThistleDown Sat 05-Jan-13 20:23:30

There is a thread in Classics by someone who did this themselves. Please don't shock.

AllYoursBabooshka Sat 05-Jan-13 20:24:17

I hasten to add that even if he were ill or constipated, I would only contemplate the garlic suppositories if I were sure it would help and nothing else had.

Intrigued!
What does it do

Is it something I should be doing? grin

LaCiccolina Sat 05-Jan-13 20:26:55

It's one thing to decide to do this to urself, it is frankly assault to do it to a child who has no say in this AND it's not a medically advised thing to do.

There is no way ur child would be relaxed for u to do without a bit of a fight surely? And the skin is very thin, u really could injure him.

If it was a proper suppository I would be supportive. This is not.

Words fail so acronyms it is: YABVVVU

Kundry Sat 05-Jan-13 20:27:24

WTAF!??!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now