'My kids never screamed like that' - old bag says loudly at the supermarket checkout...

(335 Posts)
TeenTwinsToddlerandTiaras Sat 05-Jan-13 18:14:22

about my DS (2). He is a screamer and it drives me nuts. Not when it's just me and him but when my older DSs are anywhere near him - he wants what they've got, wants to do what they're doing. He's trying to dominate, it's the pack mentality!

He screamed around Tescos as he was in the trolley and he wanted to put the food in the trolley. He screamed at the checkout as he wanted OUT! Cue santimonious, smug middle aged woman making the above comment very loudly. I don't want him to scream either but short of putting a sock in it, what can I do? I should have asked her what her secret was but I just glared.

Really unnecessary comment that only made me feel more shit and stressed and angry.

BREATHE!!!!

Moominsarehippos Mon 07-Jan-13 10:57:43

I did call someone a mad old bat who would be locked up. But she was. It amused a gaggle of pensioner aged ladies who agreed with me.

The MOB started it!

ancientcliffhanger Mon 07-Jan-13 10:37:50

This reminded me of something which happened in a Tesco supermarket when I was attempting to find a trolley for 6 month old twins and toddler years ago. All the children were in the car (obviously within my sight) whilst I was searching for said trolley closeby. Couldn't find suitable trolley so was heading back to car when I noticed this old woman hovering round the car looking at my children (her husband was lurking nearby). I asked her 'is anything wrong' and she launched into a tirade of how disgusting it was to leave children in the car whilst I went shopping!

Of course she wasn't interested in my explanantion about the 'trolley search mission' and I'm afraid I lost it and called her an interfering old bag who should mind her own business or at least offer to help me find a trolley!! She stomped off to do her shopping with her sheepish husband and I bumped into her in supermarket when I was struggling round it with my 3 kids ten mins later. I might have used a few choice words again I'm afraid.

Over the years I've had many comments from similarly minded 'know it alls' and I've learnt to grow a thick skin - or try to anyway. These people seem to relish criticising others and I can only conclude that they are a bit bitter, sad and twisted in some way.

It's so hard being a parent sometimes!!

Theshriekingharpy Mon 07-Jan-13 09:57:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Theshriekingharpy Mon 07-Jan-13 09:47:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Moominsarehippos Mon 07-Jan-13 08:36:01

Cowbag. Now what's wrong with that term?

And I do sigh, eyeroll (DH says that he can hear it) and raise eyebrows, and I don't care. I wouldn't take on a mum with a screeching kid though - that's like prodding an angry dog (no good will come of it).

AlbertoFrog Sun 06-Jan-13 17:35:37

Is it just me or does every so often a post which normally would be treated in a light hearted manner get pounced on and the OP ripped to shreds?

The OP did not say anything rude or discriminatory to the whatever aged, outspoken, opinionated woman behind her in the queue. She came on here to have a wee rant and get it off her chest.

Are you all so stressed out after the festivities that you have to vent on this thread?

Mind you I'm finding it all quite amusing so please carry on grin

p.s. Is it not time to get shot of the festive smileys?

LaCiccolina Sun 06-Jan-13 17:28:22

The attitude demonstrated made the woman an old bag. The term would often have been old wind bag. Im sure thats derivative of something (musical instrument maybe?) Not the age.

Bit like u can be a spoilt brat at 35. I dont really see age as the poknt here. I'm on op team. I'd hope I'd have given her what for. Possibly if be dreaming of what if after too.

Mangy old witch! (Ha! Take that! Professional offended politically correcters!) ;)

JustAHolyFool Sun 06-Jan-13 17:27:29

Well I shall leave you to your metadiscussion then.

I'm in such a permanent state of raised eyebrow that people are starting to presume that I've had botox that's gone array.

peanutMD Sun 06-Jan-13 17:20:18

How very dare you make assumptions about me!

I never sigh or eyeroll, I raise an eyebrow!

ilovesooty Sun 06-Jan-13 17:19:24

I admit that was a sweeping statement

Thank you.

Sighing and eyerolling is as valid a contribution to an online forum as any retort!

If people want to behave like teenagers then it's allowed. By not allowing it's it's AGEIST didn't you know?

peanutMD Sun 06-Jan-13 17:17:45

Okay some, not all.

I admit that was a sweeping statement.

peanutMD Sun 06-Jan-13 17:16:55

I'm not a chip pisser, I just think that the conversation has moved on.

I wasn't clear I admit, its the fact that people keep banging on about a slip of the tongue remark then marking down a child for.. Erm... Acting like a child hmm

You are either anti-ageism or you're not.

ilovesooty Sun 06-Jan-13 17:16:42

I'm too busy laughing at the irony of people banging on about ageism towards the older generation then calling children brats in the same breath

Not all who are concerned (which I think is more polite than the term you used) about ageism have called children "brats" or insulted them in any way.

JustAHolyFool Sun 06-Jan-13 17:12:40

Well if people want to discuss it, what's the problem mrscumberbatch ? It is, after all, a discussion forum.

So I don't think she has a valid point at all, because rather than pissing on people's chips with her sighing and eye-rolling she could just hide the thread.

peanutMD Sun 06-Jan-13 17:11:44

I'm too busy laughing at the irony of people banging on about ageism towards the older generation then calling children brats in the same breath hmmgrin

Really, there was no need for that at all. Peanut had a perfectly valid point as it's the same argument repeated every 50 posts.

JustAHolyFool Sun 06-Jan-13 17:08:17

peanutMD if you find it so utterly tedious, why not just hide the thread?

OK, you're bored. Don't keep posting then!

peanutMD Sun 06-Jan-13 16:39:07

And off it goes again hmm

TeapotofDoom Sun 06-Jan-13 16:29:03

Oops, sorry OP. It must be my middle aged woman's pre senile dementia. Am saying aloud what I thought I was only thinking, again, when behind some woman with a screaming brat in the supermarket?

Ah. Let's be honest. She was only saying what everyone else in the queue was thinking...

ilovesooty Sun 06-Jan-13 16:17:08

Oh yes: age discrimination is valid at both ends of the spectrum. However in terms of this forum, the workplce and people's attitudes in general older people are much more likely to be treated dismissively, referred to in derogatory terms, and be described negatively.

Good point Moomins....has anyone ever seen a person over the age of 25 working in Hollister for example?

Moominsarehippos Sun 06-Jan-13 16:12:38

You can be sued for ageism if you tried to get rid of someone because of their age.

This won't necessarily be old age - I can imagine a few trendy stores with the gorgeous young things serving who would banish you to the stock room once you got a grey hair.

It's ok, god just punished me for making the mistake and my toddler did a HUGE wee all down the stairs.

In essence, God just called me a twat and dealt me a twatty blow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now