to think anyone who revives a zombie thread should be banished from MN?

(96 Posts)
MardyBra Sat 05-Jan-13 11:44:23

Forever.

RandomNPC Wed 21-Jan-15 18:03:29

There's nothing wrong with reviving one of your own zombie threads with an update, Shakey. I wish more people would! I often wonder what happened in some threads and would love an update.
Congrats BTW smile

Shakey1500 Wed 21-Jan-15 17:07:42

I revived a zombie thread (twas mine originally) yesterday and nobody else commented sad

I was updating my "Has anyone won a tax credits overpayment dispute" circa 2012 with the grand news that I had indeed won grin

All congratulations received gratefully smile

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Tue 20-Jan-15 18:57:28

And yes, I get that it's funny posting that on a thread that's years old but it's still true. grin

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Tue 20-Jan-15 18:54:57

What's the point giving your opinion on a thread that's years old though?

Which nursery should my son go to
details option 1 with specific detail re their situation
details option 2 with specific detail re their situation

5 years later someone rocks up and says well, sounds like option 1 might be good for you...

Really not sure the OP still cares grin

It's like going into an empty room where someone had a conversation a week ago and yelling AND ANOTHER THING

nooooooobody cares.

If you want to help - you aren't. If you just want to type something - there's loads of threads where people are asking for advice now where you're much more use than offering an opinion on what someone might have liked for dinner 9 years ago.

I mean, it doesn't matter, of course it doesn't. but it's pointless.

o0 Tue 20-Jan-15 18:49:48

Fuck!

Got me. grin

I read all the way through and only clocked the date when I saw a post from scottishmummy and knew she hadn't posted in a long while!

Imscarlet Tue 20-Jan-15 18:30:55

I think the problem is that there are different rules for different forums. On another forum on which I participate, if you ask a question you are immediately shouted at for not using the search function. On another one, moderators merge threads with similar themes. It's different rules everywhere. Who has time to read the rules. The best way to get to know a forum is to jump in.

wigglybeezer Tue 20-Jan-15 18:25:44

Ha, I just came to make a point and realised that I had made the exact point two years ago.

AlpacaLypse Tue 20-Jan-15 15:34:17

I've got a thread in The Dog House, set up specifically to direct fellow MNetters to after the third time I got a pm asking my advice about how to start up and run a dogwalking business. Quite a few other dogwalkers joined in and it is full of wise advice. However, I haven't actually had a request for a while, so it might well go Zombie soon - I have email alerts on my Watched threads so I will know if anyone posts.

RandomNPC Tue 20-Jan-15 15:21:16

I noticed a zombie thread last night, and searched for the proper etiquette after I'd written 'zombie thread!" on it.
I then read this thread and noticed it was a couple of years old. Wouldn't it be funny to resurrect it, I thought. In my (poor) defence, it was the middle of the night, and I was overtired I think.

theRotcod Tue 20-Jan-15 15:04:30

Sometimes if I have a specific issue and I find an old thread about the exact same thing, I'm never sure whether it is best to revive the old thread or start a new identical thread.

I usually end up umming and ahhing for a while and settle on doing neither.

EduCated Tue 20-Jan-15 14:58:24

Yes, please tell us more. Did you stumble across it by pure coincidence? Or have you had nefarious plans since it was posted?

Toooldtobearsed Tue 20-Jan-15 14:44:16

Random. grin grin

Did you mark it on your calendar, to remind you to revive?

Seff Tue 20-Jan-15 14:09:51

I don't always check dates, it's often seasonal smileys that give it away though.

SurelyYoureJokingMrFeynman Tue 20-Jan-15 10:16:14

You bastards! I just read the first two pages before realising.grin

Apparently no, I don't check the dates. Even of posts saying, "surely everyone checks the dates?"

EduCated Tue 20-Jan-15 10:10:22

I would never post on zombie threads or contribute to their revival. Oh no. Not me grin

Marylou62 Tue 20-Jan-15 09:10:16

Well heres the thing...I found MN because some one told me...hey theres this great site.....so I am here...I love a good problem page and actually spent hours (was ill at time) reading back....few days later I worked out how to add a message...then realized it was an old thread....I agree with above posters...just ignore if it annoys you...I made this mistake a few times before I realized...the big red ZOMBIE alert isn't on all old threads...

TiggyD Tue 20-Jan-15 08:44:15

I would never post on a zombie Fred.

(Except in Dadsnet. We often go 6 months between posts there.)

KatyMac Tue 20-Jan-15 08:25:51

I have a thread that's over 10years old now & it's still relevant(ish)

It's about Mixed Race hair & occasionally good links get added (not for a while tho')

Seff Tue 20-Jan-15 08:13:12

gringrin

daisychain01 Tue 20-Jan-15 08:12:50

It is annoying suddenly realising you are posting on a 3 year old thread.

That said, the thread about those self-appointed FOTL (Freeman) which seems to be doing the rounds again - It's hilarious. Some very very funny posts on there.

ChaiseLounger Tue 20-Jan-15 07:21:28

I search old threads A lot. And MNHQ has already put the notice: ' do you want to post/revive this, it is an old thread- zombie thread'.
What more do you want them to do?

And it's hardly a crime, is it?

If a discussion was good then, then it's highly likely it would be good now.

HellKitty Tue 20-Jan-15 05:40:24

Oh fuck. Just realised - shame on me!!!

HellKitty Tue 20-Jan-15 05:39:52

I'd bought a big joint of silverside and Googled yesterday for some inspiration. An old MN thread about some beef (f'narr) came up. Luckily I just read and didn't reply as I doubt some MNer would appreciate being asked how her tea was two years ago.

FishWithABicycle Tue 20-Jan-15 05:25:16

grin
I do think zombie threads should have a warning added to their title in active conversations - I keep reading whole threads and not noticing till page 4 that all the posts are from 2012.

Blackout234 Tue 20-Jan-15 02:14:49

RandomNpc I think you're my favorite MNetter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now