to think anyone who revives a zombie thread should be banished from MN?

(70 Posts)
MardyBra Sat 05-Jan-13 11:44:23

Forever.

chunkydory Sat 05-Jan-13 11:53:44

To poster 10Sylvia5: I have spd and have had for nearly three years during and after two pregnancies. I am going out now but pm me if you like we can try and chat over the weekend.

What's the time limit though? What's the distinction between "resurrected zombie" and "continuing a recent thread"? Obv a 2010 thrash is a zombie, but Oct 2012 about Syria?

LadyIsabellaWrotham Sat 05-Jan-13 11:53:57

It depends. "What do you think of....?" threads can still be worthwhile, but threads where people are giving specific advice to OPs whose children are now five years older make me very twitchy, and posting "ZOMBIE THREAD" is irresistible.

TheLoneRanger Sat 05-Jan-13 11:55:55

Foofy's right.

MardyBra Sat 05-Jan-13 11:56:05

I accept it can be a mistake if you're a newbie. I'm not getting at anyone in particular. There just seem to have been a whole spate of them recently.

HappyNewBleurgh Sat 05-Jan-13 11:57:10

Old threads are often still relevant, but mn is fast moving and people posting now assume that they are talking to the present, only to discover it was years ago and the original posters have long since left the building which is confused.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 05-Jan-13 11:58:06

I am with you on this one, gives me the right hump!!

MardyBra Sat 05-Jan-13 11:59:09

I got a 50% hit rate with you then Hokey

Pagwatch Sat 05-Jan-13 11:59:21

I don't mind a zombie thread about a subject where the poster is seeking info - like Sylvia .

I fucking hate people who dredge up some three year old thread about a parking bun fight or some such and add 'yabu and a cow and I think you should be grateful you have a car and another thing....'
Wankers.

MardyBra Sat 05-Jan-13 12:00:17

The voice of reason as ever Pagwatch. Sorry Sylvia - I haven't seen your thread and I agree there is a distinction.

Pagwatch Sat 05-Jan-13 12:03:39

Hahaha. The trouble with zombie threads is you sometimes find yourself on them still talking bollocks 5 years ago.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 05-Jan-13 12:04:36

That's not bad mardy!

Recently i find myself thinking how reasoned Pags responses are quite a lot!

<unsure if this is a good thing or a bad thing grin>

At which pacific point in time does a thread become defined as zonbie?

Huh?

Huh?

Huh?

Let's have the MardyRules then, the grumpychips.

AmberLeaf Sat 05-Jan-13 12:10:26

Yes Mardy, I check the date.

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 05-Jan-13 12:12:09

I find it becomes a Zombie thread when I read posts from banned posters or people that namechanged 3 years ago.
I don't always check the date.

MardyBra Sat 05-Jan-13 12:12:14

The Mardy rules would probably have subclause 23.3 banning the multiple posting and the use of the word "pacific" even in irony, unless referring to a big ocean.

Capital P.

ApplesinmyPocket Sat 05-Jan-13 12:29:20

People are very quick to leap in with 'Zombie thread' though. I saw one such post the other day to someone who had made a new reply in a topic that had been silent only since mid-December!

Never quite sure why the idea of an old thread being resurrected arouses so much Headgirly ire here on MN. I run a discussion board myself (very small) and people often revive old threads and that's fine.

ApplesinmyPocket Sat 05-Jan-13 12:31:35

.... my board is not at all very bunfighty though smile

WorraLiberty Sat 05-Jan-13 12:34:10

HQ should lock them after about 6 months

That way they're still there to read and if anyone wants to discuss anything, they can start a new thread with a link for reference.

kim147 Sat 05-Jan-13 12:41:09

You want zombie threads - go on TES primary and look at teachers asking for planning on a project that is over 2 years old. They search out the thread and ask for help 2 years later usually by requesting the OP email them.

IamtheZombie Sat 05-Jan-13 12:48:57

WorraLiberty Sat 05-Jan-13 12:34:10

HQ should lock them after about 6 months

That way they're still there to read and if anyone wants to discuss anything, they can start a new thread with a link for reference.

Yes, excellent idea.

Zombie finds the main problem with zombie threads is when the reviving poster is asking for help for a similar problem. The vast majority of people who subsequently respond are responding to the original OP and don't realise:

a) that it IS an old thread, and

b) that a new poster is asking for advice so the new poster gets overlooked.

MardyBra Sat 05-Jan-13 12:49:13

"People are very quick to leap in with 'Zombie thread' though"

After I've waded through 10 pages.

PickledInAPearTree Sat 05-Jan-13 12:51:27

Mardy you are STRICT today grin

CornyClam Sat 05-Jan-13 12:55:42

It's very embarrassing when you see yourself on them spouting garbage. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now