Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To have given in my notice to be a sahm when I'm not sure I'm going to like it!

(55 Posts)
fuckwittery Sat 05-Jan-13 09:12:59

I may be mental. Giving up a well paid job in a recession. Earn more than dh with potential to earn much more. But I work 60 hrs a week I never see my kids and dh works weekends so I never see him too, I am tired and grumpy all the time when not at work and not sleeping with stress and having panic attacks. But I have worked very hard to get where I am, plus I don't think I'm going to like looking after kids full time it is bloody hard work!! No more cleaner gardener or childcare or eating out or nice holidays, WTF have I done?! The plan is to stay at home for 18 months do some property renovation and try and set up for myself fuuuuuuuck!

rainrainandmorerain Sun 06-Jan-13 21:15:59

There are some lovely and v honest posts here.

I'm not looking to be a sahm (main breadwinner, so not really an option for me, although I do get a lot of satisfaction as well as stress from my job - and as I work from home, I don't face a lot of challenges that other working mums do, and have a fair bit of flexibility) -

But I do recognise a lot of what is being said here about feeling spread thin and being pulled in different directions....

And actually, it is just nice hearing from mums who sound HAPPY with what they have chosen. Someone upthread talked about being able to enjoy activities with their children, without clockwatching and worrying about racing onto the next task and thinking ahead to work etc all the time. Yes - i bought into the idea that as a 'high flier' I was supposed to thrive on a 'hectic' lifestyle, and love 'juggling'.

Well, I've worked out that I don't. If I did, I'd have joined a bloody circus! What I like is having time to enjoy what I do, and feel I've given myself a good chance of doing it well (both work and being a parent). I haven't got my own life mix sorted out yet, but it is very lovely hearing from mums who are happy with what they do.

Bakingnovice Sun 06-Jan-13 21:29:57

Rainrain what a lovely post. It is lovely to hear from happy mums. After my first dc I was desperate to get back to work. At that point in my life it's what made happy at that time. Now I'm happier to stay home. I'm sure my needs will change again once my dc are older and hopefully the recession will be coming to an end and I will look for a rewarding position.

Bubblegum78 Sun 06-Jan-13 21:32:28

Could you not have taken a 3-6 month career break?

firemansamisnormansdad Sun 06-Jan-13 23:57:39

Do it

larks35 Mon 07-Jan-13 00:15:06

I just with I could envy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now