to still be lmao about this...

(37 Posts)
lola88 Thu 03-Jan-13 22:09:02

... i put a suggestion box in my kitchen for all my lovely mothers catty comments helpfull suggestions, after the other day being told i should have gave DS 9oz in his bottle not 5, to stop filling him up on milk so he will eat more food, that i should have taken his jacket off in the car, that i should have put him in a heavier jacket once we got out the car, i should really have a hat on him (that would be the hat he just pulled off his head) and i should talk to him because he was crying (because he was ment to be going to sleep) all in 2.5 hours I thought fuck this and made a shoe box into a suggestion box and have been directing all comments there for 3 days.

I think it's hysterical and am really looking forward to the 7 day mark so i can actually show her how many times she critisises me in a week she is not chuffed.

AIBU?

HappyNewHissy Fri 04-Jan-13 14:06:58

I love this! Hope she pulls herself back in line when she sees all the comments you feel are critical of her.

GOod conversation opener!

dontmixthecolours Fri 04-Jan-13 12:17:19

MrsKeith do we have the same mum? I bet you're a great mum

Well done hen

whiteandyelloworchid Fri 04-Jan-13 10:36:19

lol thats ace, well done op
yeah fill us in on her response when you show her 7 days worth

Booblesonthetree Fri 04-Jan-13 10:34:59

Thats why we chose to live a healthy distance away from both sets of parents, just close enough for visiting to be easy, just far enough away for it to not be too easy! grin

diddl Fri 04-Jan-13 10:30:04

Sorry not too much- as it´s up to you-but maybe because you see her so often & she´s so involved in your lives she feels it´s OK to keep commenting like this.

diddl Fri 04-Jan-13 10:28:43

I suppose.

I was lucky in that I could have said to my Mum-"I know you think it´s help, but it feels like criticism, please stop" and she would.

Well she never criticised my parenting & only gave advice when asked.

But then I never saw so much of her.

OP-maybe you see too much of her & that´s why she feels it´s OK to keep commenting like this?

Booblesonthetree Fri 04-Jan-13 10:16:44

Diddl could well be a way of seeing the funny side to an annoying situation. Me and my SILs play MIL bingo sometimes, it's a case of make a joke out of it or get really shirty snd upset.
YANBU OP.

diddl Fri 04-Jan-13 10:02:33

But if she doesn´t see it as criticism, but valid comments, what´s the point?

Why are you so delighted at the thought of doing this?

NewYearNewBoo Fri 04-Jan-13 09:24:00

Brilliant idea grin <off to find a shoe box>

CheeryCherry Fri 04-Jan-13 09:23:45

It's surprising that she's going along with it -she must think she's being useful! But I'm impressed you thought to do it. However if I had done that with my MIL when my DC's were little, we'd have never been able to leave the house for the amount of post-its stuffed in every room....sigh.

QOD Fri 04-Jan-13 09:00:30

It's funny how a thread goes, I thought it was a bit mean and wondered if she was staying with you, came back and everyone thinks its hilarious!
Then there's a thread about the John Lewis cleaner where everyone ripped into the op and I thought it was ok.
Perhaps I'm not normal!! confused
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1650443-To-be-annoyed-with-cleaner-in-John-Lewis?pg=2

Iheartpasties Fri 04-Jan-13 06:12:53

LOVE THIS!! I wish I had done it a few weeks ago when mum was staying with us. She is adamant that she never criticises me! But of course I would beg to differ.

Tee2072 Fri 04-Jan-13 06:04:34

I am so stealing this idea when my mom is here from the States over Easter!

MammaTJ Fri 04-Jan-13 05:56:35

Another one here who wants to know her response at the end of the seven days. Also curious to know what the total will be.

Jacksmania Fri 04-Jan-13 04:48:56

BTW OP, I am just PMSL grin at this!!!

And MrsKeith - a ((((((((((*HUG*))))))))) for you. I'm sure you're a brilliant mum and deserve a "well done chick!!" several times a day.

Jacksmania Fri 04-Jan-13 04:47:05

Oh Chipping, you say the best things.

Maybe some day in this lifetime I'll get to give you a hug for real.

Brilliant words!!!

Those are wise words Chipping.
Well done Hen, you are doing a good job
OP I can't wait to see what you find in the box after a week.
Sort of makes me glad I raised my kids so far from home. sort of, I think it has saved my relationship with my Mum.

catyloopylou Thu 03-Jan-13 23:27:18

I'm going to have to remember Chipping's comment for the times when I feel like yelling ay my mum after her not so helpful comments.

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Thu 03-Jan-13 23:22:27

Sometimes you just have to say 'Mum, I know I am your child, but I am not A child, please STOP treating me like one hmm and the odd compliment would go a long way!'

MrsKeithRichards Thu 03-Jan-13 23:19:36

<issues>

MrsKeithRichards Thu 03-Jan-13 23:19:04

I might do this. Its became a standing joke that I get a row for something every time I see my mum. I laugh but was actually reduced to tears once home with dh the other day after a couple of hours with her.

He's done to many poos today, what are you feeding him?

Where's his mittens?

Why has ds1 (7) not got a vest on?

Where's his hat?

Those reusable nappies are rubbish (however I used disposable ones with ds1 and they were rubbish)

Have you no cream for his bum? (yes and I use it when needed mother)

After 7 years it's wearing me down and I cried like a baby to my dh, all I want is my mum to say "well done hen" once.

MushroomSoup Thu 03-Jan-13 23:16:38

Ha ha ha!

flossy101 Thu 03-Jan-13 23:04:29

Brilliant! Do update is with them please grin

CailinDana Thu 03-Jan-13 22:57:56

You absolutely must update lola - I'm dying to hear what you collect, and what her reaction is to seeing it all written down smile

EleanorCuntBucket Thu 03-Jan-13 22:33:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now