To call your children "kids"?

(90 Posts)
VIX1980 Thu 03-Jan-13 11:06:22

I was in a shop i volunteer in yesterday morning helping out on the till when a family of 3 adults and 4 children came in.

the adults were paying no attention to the children, letting them pick everything up and throw the toys about on the floor trying to play with them. I noticed 1 of the boys (around 4-5) was eating a cream cake, as we dont allow any food in the shop but he had about 1 more bite left i just watched to make sure he wasnt putting it verywere as he was covered in cream all over his hands and on his coat. When he had the last bit in his mouth i looked over to the adults who locked in conversation about some curtains.

They were no more than 2 feet away from the till where i was so i said to them, is it k if i give him a baby wipe so he can clean his hands?, they ignored me, so i asked again moving closer, Is that your little boy, is it ok to give him a baby wipe, again i was ignored, i said excuse me are these your children? nothing still.

So i finally went over and said sorry to bother you are those your kids over there? I didnt even get time to finish my sentence before one of them screamed in my face not to call them kids, they are children, and with that she took a load of clothes of the rails threw them on the floor and stormed out the shop followed closely by the rest of them, then i watched through the window as the mother mouthed to me "ill have you".

I walked to the door and shouted over to her what are you going on about and she came over and had a go at me for calling her little kids "kids".

Would you be offended if someone called your children "kids"? I dont get it to be honest?

grumblinalong Thu 03-Jan-13 11:26:36

Kids is fine. No need to take offence at all, in my home town many people use 'little shits' now THATS offensive. Your manager sounds a knobber too.

HollyBerryBush Thu 03-Jan-13 11:27:37

kid = baby goats.

Pilfette Thu 03-Jan-13 11:27:38

Meh - I call the teens (mine and the visiting ones) kids, as in "if you're hungry, kids, eat the cheap pizzas!" Seems more reasonable then calling teens "children". I'd also concur with the posters who said she was, simply put, a loon.

HecatePropolos Thu 03-Jan-13 11:28:10

good god. She's off her rocker.

I know some people are snobby about the word 'kids', but her behaviour was so ridiculous that all you can do is laugh at her, really.

Floggingmolly Thu 03-Jan-13 11:28:13

Well she refused to respond when you called them children confused
Maybe she has other choice names for them? She sounds the type...

amck5700 Thu 03-Jan-13 11:28:20

Think I'd have said "Oi, No fecking eating in the shop!!! Take your manky wee kid out!" grin

Autumnalis Thu 03-Jan-13 11:31:16

Being snobby about using the word 'kids' just shows lack of imagination. You are allowed to be creative with language. Although kids is so well established it's hardly original anymore.

Salmotrutta Thu 03-Jan-13 11:32:43

HDee - whether you like or dislike the term "kids" is beside the main point. The woman behaved appallingly and overreacted outrageously.

OP - call them bairns next time wink

Nanny0gg Thu 03-Jan-13 11:33:24

Um.
They weren't trying to cause a diversion at all were they?

<cynic>

HoneyDragon Thu 03-Jan-13 11:37:05

UWBU you should have referred to them as FuckNuggets. That would've got her attention earlier.

Autumnalis Thu 03-Jan-13 11:37:18

Ah, clever thinking there, Nanny0gg.

heidihole Thu 03-Jan-13 11:43:33

Kids are baby goats.

Children are baby humans

That lady was absolutely off her bloody rocker though! What an outrageous way to behave! shocked!

NolittleBuddahsorTigerMomshere Thu 03-Jan-13 11:44:33

Odd woman. Are you ok, OP? Did the SA say anything?

catgirl1976geesealaying Thu 03-Jan-13 11:46:32

I don't like the term much but only if I stop and think about it

I would bat an eyelid if someone else used it. I don't use it very often but have no problem with other people

"Kiddies" on the other hand makes me boak smile

MmeGuillotine Thu 03-Jan-13 11:48:24

I don't use the word 'kids' personally and would never refer to my own or anyone else's child that way (I have Aspergers so it is a bit informal for me), but I wouldn't lose my temper if someone else called my children that. In fact, I'm sure people have done but I just don't notice! smile

ChocHobNob Thu 03-Jan-13 11:48:52

I dont mind the term kids. I also call mine Monkeys, Monsters, Blighters etc so comparing them to baby goats isn't a problem. What an over the top reaction from the woman. Can't help but think she may have been a MN'er, you should have offered her "kids" a greggs sausage roll and a fruit shoot as well to check wink

Crinkle77 Thu 03-Jan-13 11:49:14

Your manager sounds unreasonable for standing there and not doing anything then blaming you for her very unreasonable behaviour

Sugarice Thu 03-Jan-13 11:49:40

The woman in question was clearly barking and a loon all rolled up in one bundle of idiot!

I'd say you had a lucky escape that she didn't chin you by the sound of her!

By the way, I'd find another shop to volunteer in if that's the back up you got from your Manager, she was useless!

Crinkle77 Thu 03-Jan-13 11:50:33

And if I were you I would no longer volunteer at that shop

QuickQuickSleigh Thu 03-Jan-13 11:51:53

They were shoplifting.

Salmotrutta Thu 03-Jan-13 11:53:59

Oh I missed the bit about your manager!

And I think maybe NannyOgg is onto something!,

firawla Thu 03-Jan-13 11:56:22

I always call mine kids, children seems quite formal for every day use? anyway the woman was out of order and very strange to react like that

CaHoHoHootz Thu 03-Jan-13 11:58:26

Ignore the loony lady. This was nothing to do with you calling her kids 'kids'. I know it must have been upsetting for you but you did nothing wrong at all. In fact you were very restrained. She was nasty and stupid.

There is nothing wrong with the term kids.

diddl Thu 03-Jan-13 11:59:20

I loathe it tbh.

So ywbu to call my children Kids now that you knowwink

VIX1980 Thu 03-Jan-13 12:08:21

nannyogg That would have been my first guess usually considering the area where the shop is, But no, she is a regular customer, never had a problem with her before, shes always, if anything, been really quiet.

Luckily i dont have to go back there anyway as i left in may to have my ds, just went in for an hour ot 2 to help them out covering dinner hours etc and catch up with some old friends, and yes the manager is a bit strange also, Im all for the customer is always right but not when she launching clothes across the shop!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now