Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to hate the expression "the boy"

(67 Posts)
PetersburgPrincess Thu 03-Jan-13 02:19:09

I'm not even sure why.

My friend uses it all the time - "Me and the boy are going out tonight"

Or I see a photo on facebook of a couple entitled "Me and the boy"

I don't know why it annoys me so much when I see it but it really does.

Damash12 Thu 03-Jan-13 20:21:08

Aargh referring to baby as bubba! Makes me cringe...

marlboroughlts Thu 03-Jan-13 20:14:44

I always thought it was a Welsh thing - lots of friends refer to someone as "the boy" or "boy". It's affectionate more than anything else.

TarkaTheOtter Thu 03-Jan-13 20:10:06

My MIL calls my DH "my boy" when talking to him. As in, "how are you my boy". Makes me want to say "FFS at 30 he's my his own man". She infantilises him in other ways so I think that makes me a bit sensitive.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 03-Jan-13 19:59:25

I call my younger brother (mid teens) the boy! I would never call my DP it!

EllenParsons Thu 03-Jan-13 18:46:54

Yanbu. I know people who do this and I also find it a bit cringey, though I'm not really sure why!

mummytotwins Thu 03-Jan-13 18:25:55

I refer to my son as boy, as in "are you alright boy" etc I do wonder if it's a Welsh thing in my case as my parents do it and it's only now living in England that people comment on it?!?

ClippedPhoenix Thu 03-Jan-13 18:20:37

derrogatory!

ClippedPhoenix Thu 03-Jan-13 18:19:57

If I called my DP "The Boy" he'd think I'd been on the vodka grin and probably reply "It's me DP not DS, are you alright?" I'm sure he'd also think I was being a bit derotatory. If he called me "The Girl" I wouldn't be impressed either.

I do however call shout down to my DS when he has mates over and they're making a racket "BOYS"!

rhondajean Thu 03-Jan-13 18:13:51

I sometimes call DH "my boy" but erm that's different surely?

Hobbitation Thu 03-Jan-13 18:13:03

Quite like "the boy" in reference to a son, but towards a partner I find it odd. A bit like calling one another mummy and daddy. confused

littlemisssarcastic Thu 03-Jan-13 18:10:36

The one that makes me irrationally angry is when parents (usually mothers ime) call their adult sons 'my baby boy'.
Why oh why would you refer to a fully grown man or woman as your 'baby boy' or 'baby girl', even in front of their friends and no, it's definitely not done as a joke. hmm

catgirl1976geesealaying Thu 03-Jan-13 16:44:42

I use it for my son, he is often "the boy". I like it

Never for DH though. He's a man, not a boy.

I call DH by his name, or "Dude"

KellyElly Thu 03-Jan-13 16:42:18

Men who refer to their partners as 'my girl' makes me want to barf as well.

Greyhound Thu 03-Jan-13 16:33:35

It reminds me of a friend who told me that her brother was her parents' favourite child because "he is the boy". Another friend told me the same thing about her brother. I was appalled and sorry for both of them.

There's something a bit cloying about "the boy" being used in the context you describe. I also hate "my wee man".

ComposHat Thu 03-Jan-13 16:33:31

I do know someone who referred to their boyfriend as 'the boyf' but then I always thought she was a colossal twat anyway, so it was just added twat fuel to the twat fire.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Thu 03-Jan-13 16:31:12

have never heard anybody refer to their male partner as 'the boy' confused how odd.

I am currently pg with a boy, name has been kinda decided but until he is born he is known as either 'Boy' or 'The Boy'.

BarredfromhavingStella Thu 03-Jan-13 16:27:05

In relation to a partner it sounds awful but for a child I think it's fine. I used to call my brother our kid which I suppose some would find irritating.......

i call my dh husband sometimes tbh i cant believe he married me and i like that we're husband and wife now he also calls me wifey sometimes. no harm in it, we're both happy and dont do it that often

BodyOfEeyore Thu 03-Jan-13 16:21:27

We refer to ds as the boy.

whois Thu 03-Jan-13 16:18:05

In relation to a partner it's really icky. The boy, the boyf, the chap. Ugh ugh fucking ugg does he not have a name???

In relation to your child I think it's ok as they are actually a boy.

sweetkitty Thu 03-Jan-13 16:12:31

We sometimes call DS the boy, but he is our only son and has three sisters, he is the only boy, DP is not a boy and u wouldn't call him one.

He also gets called "the wee man" that's a Scottish thing though, DD3 is the "wee lady" as it suits her as she thinks she is a lady.

ComposHat Thu 03-Jan-13 16:12:22

I really dislike 'partner' it sounds so clinical and businesslike.

The only people who should be allowed to use the term 'partner' are those who actually have a civil partnership and cowboys.

I prefer to use the term 'live-in lover' it sounds like something you'd only see in a tabloid newspaper and has a slightly louche and lascivious ring to it.

FobblyWoof Thu 03-Jan-13 16:09:24

YANBU. I hate it. It sound very possessive and patronising. Like if my DP called me "the mrs". <<shudder>>

shellshock7 Thu 03-Jan-13 16:05:49

My MIL calls my DS 'the boy' and 'a boy', I hate it and my DH has started doing it too so i cant get away from it. It is so impersonal and lacking in affection. Our boy is ok I guess but anything else gggrrrrr

LotsaTuddles Thu 03-Jan-13 10:06:48

I call my DP a very odd name, it's not fault though. When his niece was small, she couldn't say his name, so started calling him something completely different, it's stuck, and we all call him it because if you say to her, oh uncle(Tuddles' DP) asked you to get him something, she looks at you as if you've grown another head, I think she's actually forgotten his name

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now