to hate the expression "the boy"

(67 Posts)
PetersburgPrincess Thu 03-Jan-13 02:19:09

I'm not even sure why.

My friend uses it all the time - "Me and the boy are going out tonight"

Or I see a photo on facebook of a couple entitled "Me and the boy"

I don't know why it annoys me so much when I see it but it really does.

misterwife Thu 03-Jan-13 07:13:57

My wife calls me 'husband' and I call her 'wife'...

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 03-Jan-13 07:14:27

I really like being called bubs and boo and such blush my dc also have nicknames chicken and munch

The boy and lil man are awful though.

noddyholder Thu 03-Jan-13 07:19:08

My dp is my partner and I refer to him as such. What do you suggest I call him?

captainBeaky Thu 03-Jan-13 07:20:42

I hava a fb friend who does this too. Also calls niece and nephew 'the king' and 'queen'.

niceupthedance Thu 03-Jan-13 07:24:46

Was just about to say, king and queen for boyfriend and girlfriend is the worst offender I've seen. Just wow.

everlong Thu 03-Jan-13 07:28:50

We call ds (13) the boy <shrug> about him and to him.

It's fine. It's said affectionately. What's to do with it?

VBisme Thu 03-Jan-13 07:31:35

I have a feeling that the narrator in "diary of a call girl", referred to her boyfriend as "the boy", so since then I've always thought it was v v naff and a bit affected.
Not the same when used for children obviously!

captainBeaky Thu 03-Jan-13 07:34:02

everlong she wasn't talking about naming children. She calls her OH the boy.

It's what grandad Tumble calls Mr Tumble grin

SantasNaughtySack Thu 03-Jan-13 07:42:43

It's slightly better than 'Manshape' <shudder>

Proudnscaryvirginmary Thu 03-Jan-13 07:43:12

Gives me the rage too and I also can't put my finger on why. Also hate the many smug unfunny female columnists who routinely refer to their family members as 'the husband' and 'the daughter'.

everlong Thu 03-Jan-13 08:16:13

I know captain
I was responding to the title.

'The Boy' for a partner is just weird. We call our son The Boy all the time though.

Meggymoodle Thu 03-Jan-13 08:29:52

The Boy is what Belle de Jour, a "high class" call girl, uses to describe her boyfriend in her diaries. I'm not sure that does anything the recommend the term.

chris481 Thu 03-Jan-13 08:30:14

"boy was what the whites called the black slaves"

You should have said servants, not slaves. Slavery was abolished in South Africa in 1834. However "boy" is an offensive term when applied to black men by whites.

peaceandlovebunny Thu 03-Jan-13 09:57:06

my mum sometimes calls my dad 'the lad'. he's eighty.

TheFallenMadonna Thu 03-Jan-13 10:02:06

I sometimes call my 64 yo mother's 65 yo partner her lover. Just for effect really.

DH and I call our DS and DD the boy and the girl. Just between us.

LotsaTuddles Thu 03-Jan-13 10:06:48

I call my DP a very odd name, it's not fault though. When his niece was small, she couldn't say his name, so started calling him something completely different, it's stuck, and we all call him it because if you say to her, oh uncle(Tuddles' DP) asked you to get him something, she looks at you as if you've grown another head, I think she's actually forgotten his name

shellshock7 Thu 03-Jan-13 16:05:49

My MIL calls my DS 'the boy' and 'a boy', I hate it and my DH has started doing it too so i cant get away from it. It is so impersonal and lacking in affection. Our boy is ok I guess but anything else gggrrrrr

FobblyWoof Thu 03-Jan-13 16:09:24

YANBU. I hate it. It sound very possessive and patronising. Like if my DP called me "the mrs". <<shudder>>

ComposHat Thu 03-Jan-13 16:12:22

I really dislike 'partner' it sounds so clinical and businesslike.

The only people who should be allowed to use the term 'partner' are those who actually have a civil partnership and cowboys.

I prefer to use the term 'live-in lover' it sounds like something you'd only see in a tabloid newspaper and has a slightly louche and lascivious ring to it.

sweetkitty Thu 03-Jan-13 16:12:31

We sometimes call DS the boy, but he is our only son and has three sisters, he is the only boy, DP is not a boy and u wouldn't call him one.

He also gets called "the wee man" that's a Scottish thing though, DD3 is the "wee lady" as it suits her as she thinks she is a lady.

whois Thu 03-Jan-13 16:18:05

In relation to a partner it's really icky. The boy, the boyf, the chap. Ugh ugh fucking ugg does he not have a name???

In relation to your child I think it's ok as they are actually a boy.

TheMonster Thu 03-Jan-13 16:21:27

We refer to ds as the boy.

i call my dh husband sometimes tbh i cant believe he married me and i like that we're husband and wife now he also calls me wifey sometimes. no harm in it, we're both happy and dont do it that often

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now