Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think if they made popcorn at cinemas cheaper

(52 Posts)
kim147 Wed 02-Jan-13 18:57:48

More people would buy some and they'd make more money.
£5 for the cheapest tub!!

I'm applying the same logic to cakes in tea shops and patisserie food in cafes.

Just my economic thought for the day.

kim147 Thu 03-Jan-13 09:16:03

gambasandcava "If it was more reasonable, eg £1 for a cup of tea or £1.50 for a nice latte, I would buy it much more often without thinking and spend so much more overall. "

Exactly - same idea works for National Trust Tea Shops and Costa Coffee. Maybe I'm too much of a Yorkshire lass skin flint but I object to £2.50 for a slice of cake.

Vaguely remember doing something about this in economics - lots of graphs on the effect of price changes on demand.

See - if I was in charge, tea shops and cinemas would be a different experience. smile

bruffin England Thu 03-Jan-13 08:27:36

We go on a weekly basis. As I said above DH has a cineworld unlimited card. If we go on orange wednesday I dont have to pay either. This only costs £15 a month, its brilliant value.

StuntGirl Thu 03-Jan-13 08:11:24

No need to sneak anything in, you can just take your own snacks in.

And independent cinemas aren't always the answer. The nearest one to us is an hour and £15 train ride away, and their prices are equal to the big chains.

Probably why we only go to the cinema once in a blue moon when our friend who works there gets us free tickets.

Selks Thu 03-Jan-13 07:20:50

Thank heavens for my local independently run cinema - 1.50 for a mug of coffee, shop prices for sweets, 2.00 for tub of popcorn. Cinema tickets £6.00. It's always packed.

forevergreek Thu 03-Jan-13 07:16:02

We went last night. Didn't buy popcorn but ticket was £18.50 each as in 3d in London cinema! Luckily we had the orange Wednesday so only that total instead of each

GambasAndCava Thu 03-Jan-13 06:55:13

OP YABNU. I don't go to the cinema cos I would usually fall asleep but I can't believe the prices quoted [shocked].

Its the same with tea/coffee out - and service station prices.

I travel a lot for work and detest being held to ransom for the price of tea and coffee. I really begrudge paying over £3 for a latte or almost £2 for a really dreadful cup of tea so only buy if desperate or if I can claim the cost back from work.

If it was more reasonable, eg £1 for a cup of tea or £1.50 for a nice latte, I would buy it much more often without thinking and spend so much more overall.

I'm surprised that one of the cinema chains doesn't try undercutting another on the popcorn price as we have a choice of Vue and Cineworld and would pick the one with affordable snacks.

marriedandwreathedinholly Wed 02-Jan-13 21:04:08

We have always taken our own. Those lovely sealed glasses that M and S sell work just as well at the theatre as at the cinema too. One of life's better inventions.

squoosh Wed 02-Jan-13 20:19:47

I always bring my own food to the cinema. It's not just the price, which is bad enough, but the selection of snacks is so poor. I do not want to pay £5 for a huge bucket of stale popcorn thanks very much.

And before anyone complains, I don't do cinema without snacks, I only go a couple of times a year, it's all part of the overall experience for me.

juniperdewdrop Wed 02-Jan-13 20:17:32

shock £8 for a hotdog! And they'll be full of offal and suchlike.

jessjessjess Wed 02-Jan-13 20:13:18

Got a shock the other day when I discovered Odeon charges almost £8 for a hot dog. It's ridiculous.

juniperdewdrop Wed 02-Jan-13 20:11:17

At the Vue they do a dc snack box with some popcorn drink and chocolate for around £3.65 which isn't too bad. I usually buy one for ds2 and a friend or dss. Last time we went the tickets were free through Seefilmfirst so it only cost us just over £7 for a night out. Was Pitch Perfect, really funny film. Dp couldn't believe it as he'd expected it to be rubbish with it being free.

Xmasfun Wed 02-Jan-13 20:04:47

It's terrible and I think that they should be reported to ofcom or something for it , how the hell can you justify paying £7 for some bloody popped corn and a bit of salt or sugar! Outs also charge £2.99 for a bag of chocolates and nrly £4 for a pissy tub of Ice cream sad and on top of that the price to get in ! I really don't see how the law allows them to charge that much ? I also sneak stuff in but weren't some cinemas checking bags?

complexnumber Wed 02-Jan-13 20:04:24

"cheapskate food-smuggling types "

I suppose that describes me to a "T".

Though you maybe ought to include "booze smuggling" as well, though that was a long time ago. wink

ChristmasIsAcumenin Wed 02-Jan-13 20:04:03

Yeah, it's weird. I went to the cinema for the first time in about five years over Christmas. And I remembered why I don't go! It's cheaper (here) to go to the theatre or the opera. Plus you can get the tram or a taxi and have a glass of wine while you're there!

Or a proper cup of tea. No tea at the cinema. Tragic.

noblegiraffe Wed 02-Jan-13 20:00:22

There'll be an optimisation graph at head office somewhere of food prices+ticket prices versus food sales+ticket revenue. They won't have just plucked them out of thin air, and I doubt that they would miss a trick of making it cheaper if it really would make them more money. Making it cheaper would probably just increase the number of cheapskate food-smuggling types turning up wink

blueemerald Wed 02-Jan-13 19:59:40

There was a chap in Michigan who legally challenged cinema snack prices and banning "outside" food but I'm not sure how he got on. I must say I haven't had my bag looked in at the cinema for years...

complexnumber Wed 02-Jan-13 19:59:25

I daresay the companies have looked into the dynamics of these things. And if they can make a profit by charging these prices, they will continue to do so.

(And we will continue to bring in our outside bought goodies)

me and dh also have premium cineworld cards that gets you 25% off food and free 3D. i always take snacks with me though and we only treat ourselves every now and again

i go at least once a week (sometimes 4 depending on what time of year it is) but only need to see 2 films a month to make the card worthwhile as it costs £15.

im aware that everyone doesnt have a cineworld near them, but maybe you could write to your local and suggest they do something like this? maybe get more people to suggest it too? you never know... it could work

OkayHazel Wed 02-Jan-13 19:53:08

People don't sneak in their own goodies. Its not sneaking. All UK cinemas now allow you to bring your own food.

If they check your bag they are looking for recording equipment!

I spent 2 years as a teenager working for Vue!

JustCallMeDavesHorse Wed 02-Jan-13 19:47:39

I don't go because of people munching popcorn

Why would they want to sell more though? It would increase the cleaning bill, the queues would get longer, they would need to place more orders for popcorn.

It's like the chocolate at the counter in coffee shops - it costs a fortune, but if they can get twice the profit on one bar, and restock the counter half as often, that's a better set up for them.

bruffin England Wed 02-Jan-13 19:42:38

DH has premium unlimited card so now gets 25% off food at cineworld. Makes icecream and coffee a bit more reasonable but i wont buy popcorn at those prices. I am sure the would sell more if it was cheaper.

IamtheZombie Wed 02-Jan-13 19:31:00

Zombie and DZoH have just got home from their first visit to the cinema in years. We saw The Hobbit in 3D. Tickets were £5.00 each (Wednesday concession - normal price £7.10). A medium bucket of popcorn, medium drink and packet of Minstrels was £6.85.

Thank goodness for small independent cinemas.

In the prog about Heston improving cinema food - realised that the BAG the pop corn comes in costs MORE than the product inside!!!

Personally would prefer viewings where food is banned - some smaller chains actually do this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now