Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think if they made popcorn at cinemas cheaper

(52 Posts)
kim147 Wed 02-Jan-13 18:57:48

More people would buy some and they'd make more money.
£5 for the cheapest tub!!

I'm applying the same logic to cakes in tea shops and patisserie food in cafes.

Just my economic thought for the day.

For popcorn and drink its about £12!

But the tickets are alot too. £8/9 for a adult I think now

kinkyfuckery Wed 02-Jan-13 19:00:38

Yep they certainly don't make it an affordable couple of hours out, do they? It's little wonder really that people sneak in their own goodies.

CloudsAndTrees Wed 02-Jan-13 19:00:49

Thing is, they probably sell plenty even with the overpricing.

I wouldn't go to the cinema and not buy popcorn, I find most films too boring to not have anything to munch! There is always a long queue for food whenever I go to the cinema (admittedly not very often) so I expect that over charging for a very cheap product is here to stay.

kim147 Wed 02-Jan-13 19:03:17

Tesco is round the corner. Much cheaper.
But people buy it so they'll sell it at the price people buy for the experience.
DS has had a lesson in economics.

MrsKeithRichards Wed 02-Jan-13 19:03:30

I agree.

It's like this one grossly over priced local hotel that several friends have insisted on getting married at. £8 for a gin and tonic or any mixer and spirit. I learnt quickly and went to the local shop for a half bottle of vodka and choked on paying £3 a glass of their coke.

Every time I've been the place is awash with empty smuggled in drinks under the table at the end of the night.

If only they didn't insist on ripping people off they'd get more behind the bar. It's a vicious circle I guess.

OwlCatMouse Wed 02-Jan-13 19:05:12

I agree

We smuggle in food instead. DS has a special stuffed toy just for this purpose grin

BarbieDahl Wed 02-Jan-13 19:05:39

I always take sweets and/or choccies bought from the supermarket and don't understand why everyone doesn't do this instead of paying their inflated prices.

SparklingSnow Wed 02-Jan-13 19:05:50

The cinema near me charges crazy prices for things. £4 for a packet of sweets that you can buy in Poundland. The juice is completely overpriced as well.

I always sneak things with me in my bag. Cinema tickets are expensive enough without paying out anymore for overpriced snacks!

Fakebook Wed 02-Jan-13 19:06:33

We only go to the cinema 2-3 times a year so I'm happy to pay whatever price for the popcorn. If I was a film fanatic and went to the cinema every week (like someone I used to know) then I'd complain.

exoticfruits Wed 02-Jan-13 19:06:55

They get their money from popcorn etc sales. They don't like people like me-I never eat or drink anything. When I went with the DCs when younger I took some in, in my handbag.

exoticfruits Wed 02-Jan-13 19:07:35

The prices would have to go up if they didn't sell the popcorn etc.

MrsKeithRichards Wed 02-Jan-13 19:09:01

Ds(7) asks if I've got my cinema bag when we go. It's my huge carpet bag!

kim147 Wed 02-Jan-13 19:09:25

exotic Now this is the economics bit smile Make it cheaper and people buy a lot more so they get more money coming in.

At least in my world.

I use my Clubcard vouchers to 'buy' the cinema tickets so I don't grudge the price of snacks quite so much. It is ridiculous though!

ImperialSantaKnickers Wed 02-Jan-13 19:09:48

I attended a reception at a hotel after a funeral, the lady had been in the theatre and active with quite a few charities etc so lots of guests. There was a pay bar and I ordered a small glass of wine (they gave a choice) and pulled out a fiver. Really embarrassed to have to change it for a tenner when the barman said 'That'll be £6'.
Was even crosser when later on I was taken into the hotel's main bar by an old chum I'd run into and discovered the same drink there was £3.50!

LondonInHighHeeledBoots Wed 02-Jan-13 19:10:39

Its how cinemas make their money - they get little back from the cost of licencing the films, although I don't think that is as true as when I was told it - a ticked was £7 then, its £15 now, and we'r talking about 4 years gap! Still bloody overpriced though. Its more expensive then caviar.

I read a while ago that they don't make ANY money on the films and that is why the food and drink is so expensive. Hard to believe at £9 a ticket though.

mercibucket Wed 02-Jan-13 19:17:20

My heart bleeds for all these poor companies. Only the other day I was reading that starbucks don't make any money at all in the UK and are practically a charitable organisation. I expect cineworld are also held afloat only by the sale of overpriced puffed corn products

mercibucket Wed 02-Jan-13 19:17:20

My heart bleeds for all these poor companies. Only the other day I was reading that starbucks don't make any money at all in the UK and are practically a charitable organisation. I expect cineworld are also held afloat only by the sale of overpriced puffed corn products

SparklingSnow Wed 02-Jan-13 19:19:55

I think it was on tv a while ago about cinemas claiming not to make any money on tickets sales so that's why the food prices are so high.

WhateverTrevor Wed 02-Jan-13 19:20:05

Take our own popcorn and drinks and try to go to the early morning £1 show aswell, so it can be a cheap trip out.

SparklingSnow Wed 02-Jan-13 19:21:24

kim147 your idea is a very good one! I wonder why they haven't thought of that?!

exoticfruits Wed 02-Jan-13 19:22:38

exotic Now this is the economics bit Make it cheaper and people buy a lot more so they get more money coming in

Whenever I go they seem to be doing very well on the sales! I find the whole thing ridiculous-even if I was willing to buy it I don't want a bucket of popcorn! A small cardboard cone full would be quite enough.

Willemdefoeismine Wed 02-Jan-13 19:22:59

Even with the Kids Club performances we take our own - otherwise the cheap day out becomes anything but.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now