to think sleeping with open windows in January is only Right And Proper?

(260 Posts)
RevoltingPeasant Tue 01-Jan-13 22:18:28

Seriously, surely this is normal? DH just made his 'pained face' when I popped up to air the bedroom prior to retiring. Over Christmas I opened all the windows in my mum's and PILs' insanely overheated windows before going to sleep. I almost always have open windows to get fresh air whilst we sleep.

I don't know how anyone can sleep in a stuffy room with the windows shut all day and all night! DH keeps saying 'But it's December'. Apart from the fact that it's now January, isn't he BU??

I'm with Naokhohoho, I air all the rooms during the day to get "a change of air" as my granny said, but windows get closed here at dusk (currently 430pm ish as north scotland) before the heating comes on for the evening. Never feel too hot or stuffy at night with windows shut. I am in a new build so each window has these little "vents" at the top,which let a little air in if you want.

itsmine

I air my house for half an hour a day but keep them shut otherwise.Our windows are massive and open outwards. We are saving up for window locks to lock tnem open but unattended, open, upstairs windows are an absolute no-no for us in a house with small children (and i consider us being fast asleep to constitute the windows being unattended)

I give you the jackloc

I open mine for a couple of hours during the day, close them at night in the winter.

marzipanpig Wed 02-Jan-13 00:10:49

Cold room, hot partner.

yanbu

YABU I hate being cold! Would much rather be too hot than too cold. I've always been like that, even before my back fucked up, now being cold causes my back to seize up as well as being generally unpleasant

brighthair Wed 02-Jan-13 00:16:58

Ground floor here sad so windows on latch but locked. I keep the air vent open too. Bedroom hovers around 14c but I love it. If I sleep with heating on I feel all stuffy when I wake up

Imabadmum Wed 02-Jan-13 00:32:32

Bedroom window wide open all night, and we live in a bungalow. I don't worry about randoms climbing in, I mean honestly have you ever tried to climb in through an open window through picture frames and ornaments without alerting the sleeping inhabitants? I sleep at night, I'm not comatose!

Could not sleep with the window shut, hate staying in stuffy hotels.

louisianablue2000 Wed 02-Jan-13 00:48:26

Yes to open windows. Glad to know I'm normal for MN, I swear I'm the only person on the street who opens windows between September and July.

DrCoconut Wed 02-Jan-13 00:49:31

We both like the window open. But our room gets very very cold as a result. Our house is a "cold" house and very difficult to keep warm.

ComposHat Wed 02-Jan-13 00:55:11

Downstairs flat in a rough as fuck area, if the window was open, it would be broken into again.

Not lived there during the summer but I fear the bedroom will be sweltering at night.

misterwife Wed 02-Jan-13 01:25:04

Windows should be open overnight, otherwise in the morning the room might be overrun with condensation (which certainly happened in our flat).

If it's really, really cold outside I might leave them closed though.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Wed 02-Jan-13 01:44:45

You shower of weirdos!

I am a lizard. The room needs to be warm, warm, warm. You couldn't pay me enough to open the window at night winter or summer unless there was a serious 30*+ heatwave.

Also I did it occasionally as a child and one time a spider crawled in and laid its eggs Charlottes's Web-style in my curtain and I didn't realise until they hatched and my mum had to Hoover all the creepy baby spiders up. THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!

TapirAroundTheChristmasTree Wed 02-Jan-13 01:47:18

I have the upstairs windows open during the day, but close them at night. We pay a lot of money to keep the house warm - I'm not paying to heat the whole outdoors too.

Only right and proper if you are a Polar bear. I will open them to air the house then close them and warm the place up, no heat or very low heat at night.

I sleep snuggled up to DH, with a cat curled into my back. If we didn't have a window open I'd overheat and end up with a migraine.

YANBU.

piprabbit Wed 02-Jan-13 01:52:49

If I sleep in a room with the windows shut, I wake up feeling like I have a hangover.

MrRected Wed 02-Jan-13 02:04:26

Just curious (it's totally not related to me as I live in a sub-tropical climate), but if you leave your windows open overnight, do you leave your heating on the timer?

We have the opposite problem. It's so hot and there are so many mossies around in the summer months that we have to sleep with the windows closed and the AC on. I definitely leave the windoes open in the winter though (given it rarely gets below 20 degrees in the day, it's no problem though grin).

nillynoon Wed 02-Jan-13 02:07:17

Window open here too - only way to get temp correct for baby, too hot otherwise! And with dh' s darting during the night, we'd be gassed if they weren't

WandaDoff Wed 02-Jan-13 02:26:06

Windows open, regardless of the season.

DP doesn't agree, so sometimes I have to sneak them open in the night.

I win anyway grin

Thalassocracy Wed 02-Jan-13 02:54:21

I am the same, I have to have the windows open, no matter how cold. Central heated air makes me cough up a lung no matter how cold it is outside.

If I have a lie in I can always tell if the heating has been on because I feel like I can't breathe sad.

Inhalers have made it slightly better though, thankfully.

curiousuze Wed 02-Jan-13 03:29:01

I open windows during the day and close them at night - I hate being cold or being in a cold room. I grew up in north of Scotland and was miserable and freezing for first 30 years of my life until I moved to blissful warm and stuffy London, hurray! I can't handle Scottish winters at all now, and still needed an electric blanket at my dad's house in May. Brrr.

echt Wed 02-Jan-13 05:13:31

I have the sliding doors open and the fly screen shut at the moment (Australia), and the dog and cat beg to be let in to sleep in the draught.

Tomorrow will be 36 and therefore vile; not even the open doors and windows will make a breeze; so aircon beckons, which frightens our wussy animals.

I like a warm room to dress and read in, but it must be cool for sleep.

CaptChaos Wed 02-Jan-13 05:24:47

I can't sleep without a window open, even when it was -25 I had one open. I spent every holiday in a house with no central heating, ice on the insides of windows, no double/secondary glazing the whole nine yards. If I was cold, I had a hot water bottle and an eiderdown.

I cannot sleep if it feels stuffy and having hot feet wakes me up.

TheSloppelganger Wed 02-Jan-13 05:32:32

Windows open during winter? I'm pretty sure DH would leave home - he gets fretful about cold air getting in at him if the cats spend more than 20 seconds hovering and deciding to go out of the back door or not, so windows open at night would be a definite no-go - I'm not bothered either way really, so I let DH have his greenhouse-style living conditions, delicate wee flower that he is.

Actually, I'm not even sure if my windows open, I've lived in this house for 2 years and I've never bothered to open them haven't washed them in that time either.

<successfully horrifies more than half of MN>

mathanxiety Wed 02-Jan-13 05:40:05

I keep the heating around 14-16 degrees by day but if there is even a hint of any air that is less than frigid outside I like to open the windows in the morning to air the place out. I hate stuffiness and stuffy smells. I turn the heat down for the night as I like it cool for sleeping.

Tee2072Thing Wed 02-Jan-13 06:54:09

You're all insane and obviously have never lived in a city with traffic outside your window 24/7/365 and/or had noisy neighbours.

Also, my house is not hermetically sealed. Even with the windows closed, the air does not get stale.

Do you all live in 1264? Because it's 2013 and it's time to shut the window!

And I cannot believe you 'don't let' your husband turn on the heat or close the window. Apparently he has no spine and you walk all over him. I don't care if the kitchen is 'his domain'. The whole house is his just as it's yours. So much for compromise in a marriage.

So glad I don't live with any of you as my parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now