to actually like looking "pale" ??

(87 Posts)
xameliax Tue 01-Jan-13 22:17:14

My natural skin colour is pale and I have to say that I love it.

It doesn't necessarily mean that you are ill/never go out in the sun.

When I say I like being pale, some of my friends literally seem to shudder and pull the hmm face.

Yes I love having a tan when I come back off holiday because then it's natural but I wouldn't lie out in the sun for hours in order to get one.

I've been on holiday with a friend who will be out in the sun from 9 and refuse to leave her sun bed until the sun has actually gone.

Anyone else actually like their skin colour or as soon as your tan starts to fade will you jump on the sun bed or grab the nearest bottle of Saint Tropez?

hazel I'm with you. My legs are a greyish colour. I'm a darker shade of pale (oooooh a Clapton ref) above waist but below defo greyish........

Backtobedlam Tue 01-Jan-13 22:48:40

My Aunty tells has always said that I'm not pale or pasty I have an 'English rose' look...I choose to believe that and stay natural instead of fake tanning.

DamnBamboo Tue 01-Jan-13 22:49:40

That is so rude memphis! I can't believe people said that to you

jessjessjess Tue 01-Jan-13 22:50:28

I'm pale and prefer to just work with what I have rather than fake tanning or sun beds. The absolute key thing is to find a good blusher - I love Benefits Dandelion.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 01-Jan-13 22:50:56

I'm pale. Have never tanned in my life (though I have burnt) nor have I fake tanned.

It really isn't me.

RudolphiaRedNose Tue 01-Jan-13 22:52:47

Totally agree jess! - Dandelion is the best.

YANBU. I don't mind real tan but hate fake and sunbed tan. I'd rather be pale but have a bit of sunshine to tan lightly once a year (with factor 50).

But I'm another one who often gets told I look ill, when I'm actually fine. Blusher helps and I quite like the China Doll face of white skin and pink cheeks.

im quite pale... i dont care what others say, i like it and im happy

although when im really ill i tend to look dead confused

I like having the natural colour that I get from being outdoors in summer as I'm not pale enough for it to be a feature, I'm just average with rosy cheeks. I've recently started a job where I work with 5 very nice but very 'girly' women who are all looking forward to their summer orangeness. I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb grin

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 01-Jan-13 22:56:08

I agree with that too!

Also,Benefits Coralista is nice for summer. Peachy rather than brick orange. It's such a shame they discontinued the Georgia blusher.

I was discussing foundations with a women working on a beauty counter once and she said " X is really light coverage,but you'd probably want Y to cover your freckles". Er no I wouldn't you rude bitch.

notengodinero Tue 01-Jan-13 22:56:17

I'm v pale and when people say "ooh, you look pale" I have to say "yes, this is the colour I'm meant to be --now bugger off--"!

I have dark hair that unfortunately I have to dye now as I've got loads of greys, and have a bed habit of dying it too dark as I love the contrast. I don't think I do myself any favours though!

I hate the colour of my legs, and very rarely have them on show as they are pretty much blue. But I can't be arsed with the faff of fake tans. I've used them before but they always went wrong for one reason or another.

My SIL is v pale but uses fake tan most of the time. When she got married, she, all her bridesmaids and my MIL had spray tans done. It's just so obvious that it's fake, and it rubbed off one her dress (I've seen that happen to a few friends too), and I thought it was quite sad that she couldn't just embrace her natural self.

xameliax Tue 01-Jan-13 23:00:13

Alisvolatpropiis that's so rude! I hope you didn't buy anything after that.

My friend has booked the dates of her holiday just so she can attend a wedding when she come home with a tan.

At least it'll be a natural tan but ... it wouldn't even have occurred to me.

sashh Tue 01-Jan-13 23:12:01

Another pale one here. I wish I didn't have the freckles but hey.

What was / is Kelly Osborne thinking? Of course the money.

5dcsandallthelittlesantahats Tue 01-Jan-13 23:14:14

I am very pale (red hair and freckles) I have never used fake tan because I think I would look pretty silly plus I just dont care my skin colour is what it is and I am happy with that.

5dcsandallthelittlesantahats Tue 01-Jan-13 23:15:09

Oh I have never had a tan in the sun I go red and then back to white grin.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 01-Jan-13 23:15:24

No I didn't and I told her straight that 1) I did not want to cover my freckles,they are not a physical affliction and 2) if she ever wanted sales commission she might want to try not being incredibly rude.

My poor Dad stood there with a face just like this shock

nooka Tue 01-Jan-13 23:18:24

Another 'pale and interesting' person here. I don't tan (or wear make up) so it's my permanent look. I get a nice collection of freckles in the summer though smile

I always had lots of friends in the summer because compared with me everyone was tanned grin. Like others the only thing I'm not so keen on is my almost glow in the dark legs. I did have a fake tan done once (massaged in) but managed to get some reaction with sun cream and went horribly blotchy so never tried gain!

I was a goth for a while as a teenager, largely because I didn't have to do anything (I've quite dark brown hair, so I'm naturally a bit Snow Whitish)

ds has the same colouring and it makes it very easy to tell when he is really under the weather because he looks almost bleached.

Callycat Tue 01-Jan-13 23:19:17

high-fives Alis I love my freckles! Also, I've found that the chaps often like freckle-faces smile

mummydarkling Tue 01-Jan-13 23:20:30

I love being pale, although I hate that my blushes are so noticeable. I do conform to social pressure and use leg make up in the summer. I have a fake tanned sister and although she is the younger I am mistaken for the little sister at 42, very satisfying and we synthesise vitamin D better than other people grin

xameliax Tue 01-Jan-13 23:21:32

Oh I wish I'd seen her reaction Alisvolatpropiis

- I hate the expression "pale and interesting" it's so demeaning.

whathasthecatdonenow Tue 01-Jan-13 23:26:11

I'm so pale I'm practically see through. I wear a light foundation so I don't look dead, or like my passport photo, but there is one woman at work who fake tans to the colour of strong builder's tea. She insists that I am ill all of the time - to the extent of telling my line manager that I must be seriously ill and putting on a 'brave face' by not telling anyone. I think she is just deluded about what how pale some people can be, because of her fake tan obsession.

Spuddybean Tue 01-Jan-13 23:42:38

i am very pale and altho i look nice with a tan it takes ages to get one and fades very quickly. SO is a waste of a holiday to lay in the sun for 14 days solid.

I do like my freckles in the summer tho.

(i have repeated this on MN before) I often get comments about it as my hair is so naturally dark and once i was repeatedly asked in a salon (one of those ones where all the women are orange with bleached hair and those funny white tipped square nails) if i wanted to use the sunbed or have a spray tan. i kept refusing and the hairdresser got annoyed and snapped 'we are just trying to make you look less witchy' i replied 'where i'm from it is quite normal to have hair darker than our face'!

I also got the presumption from everyone that i would have a spray tan for my wedding.

ChristmasNamechangeBridezilla Tue 01-Jan-13 23:45:24

I'm very dark haired and olive skinned so pale isn't a good look for me. I'm to understand I look washed out and/or ill if someone tells me I'm pale.

On English-rose type complexions it can look lovely though.

Arthurfowlersallotment Tue 01-Jan-13 23:51:13

I've always thought the people who colour their skin orange and bleach the fuck out of their hair are trying to detract attention from the fact they're actually quite minging.

I've got red hair, freckles and I don't tan and I've never had a problem getting men. grin but I have had lots of negative comments, (such as being called Casper) of which I give not a flying fuck.

BreconBeBuggered Wed 02-Jan-13 00:03:04

YANBU. I once tried fake tan on the blue legs. I might as well have bathed them in Bisto gravy; it would have been equally convincing and alluring. I'm not blessed with summer freckles, so I do get comments about being an anaemic sickly vegetarian.
I give blood regularly and have the iron levels of a tiger <unofficial data>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now