to think £25 for babysitting 3 children until 3am on New Years Day is disgustingly stingy.

(241 Posts)
TaggieCampbellBlack Tue 01-Jan-13 16:03:09

DD and her friend. Both 14.
Parents said they'd be back shortly after midnight. Finally rolled in at 3am.

DD and friend slept over but were expecting them home before 3.

Stingy bastards handed over £25 this morning.

angry

And also more than a little surprised. That isn't the done thing really is it? Getting in 3 hours late.

So basically, they were paid £25 for spending the evening with a friend - and they could have gone to bed, so didn't HAVE to stay up until 3?

That's not the point, and in my babysitting days i wouldn't have gone to bed when i was on duty.

It's a ridiculously low amount and taking the piss for NYE.

KobayashiMaru Tue 01-Jan-13 16:31:11

You let your 14 year old stay over, babysitting for people you don't know at all, & your concern is that they were underpaid? hmm

Thanks Pictish. I was beginning to think I was the only one thinking this way!

My dds are 15 and 17 and both would be quite happy to babysit for a tenner, if they had no other plans, NYE or not.

BellaVita Tue 01-Jan-13 16:32:23

Very stingy.

We don't need a referee babysitter now but I paid £5 an hour. We usually asked them to be here for about 7.15pm and more an likely we would be home just before 11pm. I still paid them £20, if we were after 11pm say 11.30 then they would get £25.

I would have thought £25 each would be more like it on New Years Eve if parents rolling in at 3.00am.

Mrsrudolphduvall Tue 01-Jan-13 16:33:48

Dd gets paid £7 an hour for babysitting..,she's 16.
If she did NYE, which she didn't as she went to a party, I would expect her to get 8-1 £50.

So yes YANBU. However 2 girls babysitting together should expect to share that and not be paid any more. let's face it, they do it to keep each other company. We never allowed our babysitter to have a friend with her.

TartyMcTart Tue 01-Jan-13 16:34:00

Good God, I'm glad we have friends we can ask to babysit!

£25 for a nights babysitting is good going in my book for a 14 year old. Surely most of the night would just be sat watching tv which is pretty easy money.

ravenAK Tue 01-Jan-13 16:34:08

Well, to be fair I'm the poster with the £60-70 babysitter, & that's if I go with dh when his band are playing a gig, so it's all the night costs me - also it's from 5pm or earlier. So ten hours at least, & cost often shared with the guitarist & his dw as sitter will look after their two at our house as well.

Didn't mention all that as it wasn't particularly relevant to the thread, but yeah, it wouldn't be do-able for a quick pint in the local!

That's different then Raven. I assume sitter has to feed them etc as well? It's not just making sure they sleep/stay in bed then, which is what I mostly used to do when babysitting aged 14.

pictish Tue 01-Jan-13 16:36:30

Yup Remus - that's what I think as well.
I used to babysit for the neighbours cash in hand in my teens. I didn't have an hourly rate, or expect big bucks.
The only way they were able to go out at all, was because of girls like me accepting a tenner for sitting in someone's house watching telly. Even till the wee smalls. It's a tenner I wouldn't have had if I'd stayed at home!

ravenAK Tue 01-Jan-13 16:38:54

Yes Remus - I usually leave a lasagne in the oven or something, & they're of an age to get themselves to bed & stay there, so it's not exactly onerous for babysitter, but it's a long night!

pictish Tue 01-Jan-13 16:39:48

Raven - that is different. That's fair dos.

I used to earn enough in an evening's babysitting to buy myself a couple of pints of lager and black in the pub the next evening. And I'd get more revision done when babysitting than at home. Win win!

OhMyGlob Tue 01-Jan-13 16:41:58

I think £25 for a 14 yo is good. It's not their fault there was 2 of them.

Lueji Tue 01-Jan-13 16:43:55

If people are really paying up to £70 to a babysitter, how on earth do you ever afford to go out? That's insane!

Maybe I should get a teenager to clean my flat for £3, otherwise how will I have free time?

Paying teenagers a pittance is not on.
And I cry out for parents who can't afford to go out on NYE due to childminding fees.
Really not.

Going out is not a right.

HeadfirstForAMistletoeKiss Tue 01-Jan-13 16:46:26

I'd do a nights babysitting for £25 and I'm 32!

I babysat a friends 4 dc a little while ago at their house for free. Although I got a nice bottle of wine smile

At 14 I think £25 to babysit is fine.

It's nothing to do with paying teenagers a pittance. Teenagers are not trained and not qualified - to be paid £25 to sit with their friend whilst some children are asleep upstairs really isn't worthy of £7 an hour aged 14. Imho - and my dds would agree.

I suppose it depends as well if it's for a family friend/neighbour - imo that then isn't about it being a business transaction.

I think the fact there were 2 of them is clouding the issue. Actually, I would have been less happy with 2 teenagers, especially if they were staying over and I had double bedlinen to wash.

The major fault on behalf of the parents is how late they were back, though am a bit hmm that they said they would be back before midnight on NYE!

HeadfirstForAMistletoeKiss Tue 01-Jan-13 16:49:13

Going out isn't a right, but it's nice! If people don't go out because a sitter is too expensive, then the sitters are the ones missing out.

£25 for a nights babysitting at 14 is better than £0 because the parents can't afford more than that so stay in.

pictish Tue 01-Jan-13 16:50:58

Some adults don't make £70 from a day's work!!
£70 for a teen babysitter is ludicrous!

CaHoHoHootz Tue 01-Jan-13 16:53:09

Very, very stingy indeed. I would phone them up, or get one ofthe girls to phone them up and let them know that they were expecting to be paid more than £25. This would give the tightwads a chance to give the girls a little more money. It could be that they just hasn't thought it through when they got home.

If you can't afford babysitters don't go out. smile

HeadfirstForAMistletoeKiss Tue 01-Jan-13 16:53:26

Pricing yourself out of the market is the phrase I was thinking of but couldn't remember!

HannahsSister40 Tue 01-Jan-13 16:53:32

There are people on Mumsnet who won't leave their 14 year olds home alone in the daytime never mind in the evening, in charge of someone else's kids! I'm surprised noone has mentioned the issue of 14 yr olds being left home alone in the middle of the night???!

FlipFlopFloss Tue 01-Jan-13 16:54:39

I didnt realise 14yos could get employment other than babysitting and paper rounds. I know our local shops ask for 16yo these days which surprised me as I had a Saturday job at 15 but that is yonks ago now. So what is the minimum wage for 14yos these days then?

I must be really out of touch or considerably more poor than I realised before reading this thread because if I had to cough up more than £25 for a night out before even getting out the door I would never be able to afford to go out. £25 is about what I would spend on a night out (pub meal and a drink or 2). Obviously alot more of you on here are alot more high brow than me.

Have just asked my 14yo if she would be miffed at £25 babysitting fees for 7 hours on NYE and she is now asking if I know anyone she could babysit for - she would be over the moon to get that much, but then again I have just realised she comes from a skint flint poor family.

Really - How do you lot afford it???

I also agree a qualified nursery worker should get a minimum wage/higher rate of pay compared to a teen.

penguinplease Tue 01-Jan-13 16:54:40

Just to clarify my point too, I pay a lot but I use a babysitting agency and get CRB, first aid trained older than 18 girls/women to come. I joined this agency after my usual young girl let me down continuously with her behaviour and her language in front of my dcs.. the ones I get now are often childcare workers or training teachers topping up their income. I just would not let a 14 year old or 2 of them look after my kids.

CaHoHoHootz Tue 01-Jan-13 16:54:54

I agree that the pay should be as though there was only one babysitter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now