Waitrose

(67 Posts)
velveteenmummy Tue 01-Jan-13 13:27:53

Waitrose, well...I refer in particular to the indian ready meal range, yuck, I challenge them to do better. I was breifly (so don't shoot me if this thread has ran already) looking at previous threads on subject and in 2010 it was thought pretentious by some to shop there. It used to be so good I am really dissapointed now, especially after spending extra money on christmas treats just to be dissapointed. I used to look forward to spoiling myself occasionally in waitrose. AIBU to not shop there again.

dischordant Tue 01-Jan-13 14:04:00

Aren't online orders taken in to consideration when the shops place their orders?

This wouldn't really work with it being store based picking. If it's there on the day for the customer instore, it'll be there for the online picker.

Tincletoes Tue 01-Jan-13 14:06:41

Shiny I hope you've rung to complain. They'll refund you for the missed offers - in our order we'd asked for some cadburys biscuits which were buy 1 get 1 free - they substituted with some other biscuits which was fine, but didnt give us the offer. I rang and they've refunded the whole amount (not that I asked for that, but I get the impression they're busy and just caving on it all). Worth relaying a proper sob story too!

NewYearsEvelyn Tue 01-Jan-13 14:09:46

YANBU. They are on my current shit list after delivering my Christmas order with 11 substitutions out of 48 items and 2 items unavailable. This for an order I placed the minute slots were available and I didn't change my order at all.

As well as all the substitutions they gave me bread, late on 23rd December that was best before christmas day. The same applied to two packets of ham which cost nearly a fiver. They delivered a single parsnip instead of a kilo. The veg was all best before 26th, even the carrots! My cheddar cheese went blue at the edges 2 days ago. WTF? Cheese lasts for ever!!!!

The pigs in blankets I ordered were in packs of 8, so I ordered 2. They replaced them with 2 packs of 16, so I had 32 pigs in blankets for Christmas Day for 4 people. We ended up having mini toad in the hole for Boxing Day dinner which would not have been my first choice at all.

They were apologetic in their emails, but didn't address the questions I raised about short dates. My friend ordered her shop from Tesco and got everything she ordered with no substitutions and it cost her half the price. She's got ham that's still good for a week or two. I won't ever fall for the hype again. I'm back at Sainsbos, Aldi and Lidl for next years Christmas. I'll pick everything myself so I can see the best before dates and figure out my menu planning.

ImperialSantaKnickers Tue 01-Jan-13 14:11:19

Waitrose is my corner shop - literally two mins - so I get a lot there. The Indian meal deal when it's running is fairly popular chez Knickers, they have several vegetarian main courses so it's easy to feed dd2. It's nicer than Tesco's Finest, and nicer than M&S, but nothing like as good as the real deal takeaway. It costs considerably less though.
The low fat ready curries are truly vile - in the LoveLife range. AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!!

Since of course it's my corner shop I have never done an online so can't comment on that aspect. I do use a zapper for QuickCheck, which speeds me through the system. Felt very smug on last Monday morning when it was insane in there!

There are always enough staff around to find someone to ask if what you want isn't there, and they are invariably courteous and helpful.

When ddtwins were tiny I used to be offered a personal helper to push my trolley etc, all the way round the shop and all the way home too. Anyone ever had that from Tesco or Asda?

Ephiny Tue 01-Jan-13 14:15:06

Tbh I don't think there's really such a thing as a nice ready meal, however expensive it is.

I do like Waitrose, though I'm not tribal/loyal about supermarkets. I shop there because it's convenient on my way home from work, and I don't find it particularly expensive (though maybe I'm just not buying the posh stuff).

LRDtheFeministDude Tue 01-Jan-13 14:18:01

I agree with ephiny. Most of them are just 'horrible' or 'less horrible'.

I like the Waitrose/M&S ones that aren't ready meals but are meat in marinade or stuffed with something, so you just put it in the oven. They're mostly nice IMO.

This thread has been done a million times.

As Stephen Fry says 'Sainsbury's is very useful.'

NumericalMum Tue 01-Jan-13 14:24:24

Yabu. I love waitrose, but prefer ocado for online as their slots are ridiculous (2 hour slots from 8-10, 10-12, ... 6-8, 8-10. The only one I can guarantee I will be home for is 8-10pm and I don't want to be unpacking groceries at 10pm!

They are also a much nicer company than m&s or tesco in that they treat employees, suppliers etc really well. Asda is actually also pretty good to suppliers I believe.

I much prefer my local waitrose to tesco. I do go to sainsburys sometimes as it is easier to get to, but I adore the scan your own thingy at Waitrose and we can get vouchers from work for 10% less too

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 01-Jan-13 14:41:16

shiny - did you ring customer services? They will refund you what you lost out on by not getting the 3for2 etc, and probably for such a gigantic fuck up give you a big discount on another shop.

I had 12 items missed off a shop about 2 months ago, the first time it has ever happened, some crates got mixed up at the shop. They refunded me everything that hadn't arrived, plus I got a £25 discount off my next shop.

LRDtheFeministDude Tue 01-Jan-13 14:44:16

I like chat threads that repeat. It's like talking about the weather, isn't it? It always changes so we always have something to say in the queue.

I think ocado delivery is better than waitrose delivery, btw (why they aren't the same thing I don't understand). They gave someone I know a free Heston pudding this year.

velveteenmummy Tue 01-Jan-13 14:44:59

JaquelineHyOnChristmasSpirit, totally agree with you.
I also live 40 miles away so only used WR as a special treat, to those of you who mentioned mc with lloyds membership, thats also me, someone mentioned good ready meals don't exist by definition, true, but if anyone can have a good crack at a decent ready meal I would have thought WR could. hmmm. It was prawn and mango masala which was worse, tinned tomato soup with prawns added more like. Oh and someone mentioned old ladys shopping there so I suppose thats me too, compared to all you young mums. (had dc 2 and 3 at 40/41, (try to leave my walking stick at home when I go to lloyds, but dust it off for WR trips) I will have to stick to cooking my own there are no takeaways near me unfortunately.wink

tangledupinpoo Tue 01-Jan-13 14:59:42

Good ready meal? I give you Sainsburys Paul McCartney Prawn Makhani. Bloody lovely. Want the recipe. Am also about 70 miles from Waitrose so don't know how good they are generally.

Chottie Tue 01-Jan-13 15:06:47

I'm a Waitrose fan too. smile

Montybojangles Tue 01-Jan-13 15:19:12

Think mine was a prawn jalfrezi smile

LovesBeingAtHomeForChristmas Tue 01-Jan-13 15:21:03

One of the best things in we full stop is their fresh nan bread hmmmm I team it with my fab curry sauce from aldi grin

lurkerspeaks Tue 01-Jan-13 15:25:31

They need to look at their delivery/substitution policy.

I did a big order 2 - 3 weeks ago as I was having folk round for brunch. Loads of bagels, cream cheese and a big pack of smoked salmon (which was on offer) in the order - guess the menu?

Order arrives late on Saturday night with no bloody smoked salmon. I refuse to believe that there was NO smoked salmon in stock . I think the picker just didn't want to substitute a more expensive product ( you only pay for what you ordered). I then had to chase round late night to buy some from somewhere else.

The previous week I got half of someonee elses shopping and some equally daft substitutions (ordered egg fried rice and chinese dish -? beef in black bean sauce. It was substituted with chow mein. Now I don't know about you but I tend not to eat carbs with carbs...Ie noodles AND rice).

I got a fiver voucher when I phoned to complain but it was not adequate compensation for their sheer fuckwittery.

nowahousewife Tue 01-Jan-13 15:39:41

Love waitrose for the sheer niceness of shopping there, the staff are lovely, the scanner thing makes shopping a breeze and you know they treat their staff and suppliers well.

On the other hand you do pay for this privilege. I had recently started splitting my shop between waitrose and lido. Make my list, go to lidl and get all the essentials (btw lidl's smoked salmon is half the price of waitrose's and twice as good!) and then pop into waitrose for all the stuff I can't get at Lill. This saves me about £50 per week. Job donegrin

lurkerspeaks Tue 01-Jan-13 15:54:22

I don't know where there is a lidl near me. Supermarket options are Waitrose - closest and quiet. Or Sainsbury's which is recently extended and now too big a store to get round easily (used to be my first choice) or Morrisons (never go there).

mrsjay Tue 01-Jan-13 15:58:43

YABU

Some of us live 70 miles from a Waitrose.

ours opens middle of january supposedly was meant to be this week I am doing a bus will take names nearer the time grin

chris481 Tue 01-Jan-13 15:59:29

The supermarket at the end of my road is Waitrose. They got off on the wrong foot with me when they "redecorated" after taking over the shop from Safeway/Morrisons. Safeway had redecorated just a few years earlier, with lovely dark real stone floors in the drink section, real wood elsewhere, quite posh actually. Waitrose redecoration was a huge downgrade to a plainer more functional look.

Apart from that, whenever I buy a loaf of sliced bread, even though I search through several brands/types to get the longest date, the odds are 50-50 that when I get it home and open it, it's so dry that even on the first day it's only fit for toast.

We don't ever do our main shop there, wife insists we get in the car and drive to Asda.

Iggly Tue 01-Jan-13 16:02:53

Tescos is full of food which goes off as soon as you pass through the doors. It's happened far too many times with their chicken that I refuse to shop there.

Sainsburys used to have shitty stock levels on a Saturday morning FFS.

M&S food is rubbish for dairy intolerant people - they shove butter in everything.

So we go to Waitrose. It's just better. Doesn't get everything right but more than the rest.

Mrsrudolphduvall Tue 01-Jan-13 17:02:02

I am a Waitrose stalwart, but don't like the Indian range. I like the M and S one, especially the chicken saag.

But then I don't buy ready meals generally.

AmberSocks Tue 01-Jan-13 17:04:39

i love waitrose,you can get certain ingredients in there that you cant in other shops,but i dont eat ready made stuff so cant comment on that.

PrincessAnastasia Tue 01-Jan-13 17:04:48

I love Waitrose. Although it is overpriced.

It's just generally a nice and quiet supermarket and I don't feel stressed out.

The Asda thats close to me I get an instant headache every time I walk in, over crowded, people in a rush, banging into you.

Waitrose is just generally a more pleasant experience.

Notcontent Tue 01-Jan-13 17:18:51

YABU to expect a ready meal to be nice!

I shop at Waitrose but I inly buy basic, fresh ingredients. That's pretty much why i shop there. I am far from wealthy.

I went into an Iceland for the first time ever the other day and struggled to find anything edible. They had some great deals on toothpaste, paper towels and lots of chocolate bars, but nothing I actually consider to be food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now