to think I have the perfect solution to the school hours/school run problem?

(55 Posts)
Tortoiseonthehalfshell Tue 01-Jan-13 12:15:54

Not really. I just want you to all pick holes in my Grand Plan, please, so I don't fall into any pitfalls. This is my first child to go to school, I have no idea what I'm in for. My apologies for the unlikeliness of bunfighting.

Right. So, somewhat unbelievably, DD1 is going to be of school age next year.

DD1 has a best friend, and over many many playdates her mum and I have also become very good friends. The friend is also starting the same school. The mum is a single parent, her DD is an only child and will stay that way. We live about a 2 minute drive/15 minute walk away from one another. She runs a shop another 5 minutes drive from my place; I work a fair way away but drop my car at a bus station 5 minutes past her place. So the map goes like this:
My bus station -- primary school -- her place -- my place -- her work with none of those distances being over 5 minutes drive.

So. She doesn't open till 10am, I work best doing early hours. So our plan is simple. I drop DD1 off at hers at 7am, fully uniformed and packed, she and best friend have breakfast together. Her mum does school drop off at 8.30, gets time to sort herself out before going to work even if morning is chaos. I pick up both girls and either take them to mine until she drives past and picks her up at just past 5pm, or drop hers at the shop - I have to go past there anyway to pick up DD2 from daycare. So I'm thinking, on days DD1 has an after school commitment, I'll drop off the friend with her mum, otherwise I'll just keep them both and feed them as needed.

Is this actually the world's best plan? Or is it just asking for trouble? Would it in fact turn out to be an enormous imposition to have someone else's child dropped off 3 or 4 mornings a week expecting breakfast? What have I missed?

Clary Wed 02-Jan-13 13:42:01

I agree with whoever said best friends or not is not a problem - we have had various school run arrangements over the years and sometimes they were with children who the DC weren't friendly with at all really.

For example, DH used to have a situation with a mum of a girl in DS2's year whom we had known for years but DS2 not actually that keen on .... they walked to school togerher and if needed she wd drop her dd here early, or DH vice versa with DS2 - AFAIK (and bear in mind I was never here!) it was all OK.

I think any of these arrangements have to be reviewed and if they are not working, changed. As I say, we have had a range of arrangements in the past 9 years of working parents/kids at school, from walking bus, breakfast club, after school club, mate picks them up, gran drops in, I start early, DH starts late, meet a friend en route etc.

The most important thing is to have emergency back ups. Even now, with DS2 9yo so fairly independent, I have 4-5 numbers I can text if it all falls apart. grin

Before he started school we could barely keep DS1 in bed past 6am. Now he is in Reception we have to wake him at 7.30 or be late. The difference in intensity and fatigue is astonishing.

If I were the friend I wouldn't agree. Mornings are absolute bedlam even though at pre-school they weren't. It's all the bloody bags I think. Also school shoes run off and hide overnight...

oldpeculiar Wed 02-Jan-13 13:49:15

IME these sorts of arrangement seem to breed resentment.I'm not sure why that should be the case, but it does seem so.

Arcticwaffle Wed 02-Jan-13 14:00:49

We've done this sort of shared school run and before/after school care for years. It works beautifully most of the time. All the parents save loads of money they'd otherwise spend on childcare, and the children have had before and after school clubs as an occasional treat rather than something they've been to day in day out.
We also do it for holidays and inset days. And for emergency childcare/sick days.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Wed 02-Jan-13 14:24:19

I can hear what people are saying about problems that can arise but to be honest it's got to be worth a try. It will save quite a lot of money for both of you and will give the children a home environment to relax in before and after school. I'd jump at the chance. The fact that your DH could do the morning school run as a back up is a huge plus I'd say as it takes a lot of the worry out smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now