to be cross with inlaws.

(34 Posts)
manchester04 Mon 31-Dec-12 06:44:48

Ds who is almost 6 still wears a pull up at night. Sil and mil know/saw this and both started the ".... is 4 and doesn't wear a nappy at night". Aibu to be cross about this. I know its not ideal him still being in pull up but i understand its still within normal range. Plus this is hardly going to help.
Aibu

Anniegetyourgun Mon 31-Dec-12 12:42:28

One of mine wasn't dry at night till he was at secondary school. Another was reliably dry at a year old. It's not so much how you train them as how they just are. Additionally there are techniques that will help some but not others. But there, it's a good thing everyone isn't the same - otherwise everybody might be judgemental cows like your MIL and SIL.

Iteotwawki Mon 31-Dec-12 12:49:20

DS1 was dry at night before he was reliably dry through the day (around 3.5).

DS2 is still in nappies at night (at 5) and mostly dry in the day - when we remind him every 2h to have a wee. Or then there are days like today where he got through 3 changes smile

They're all different and reach different milestones at different ages. As long as he's more or less dry by 8 (or when he wants to go to a sleepover!) does it matter?

Really dislike competition parenting.

redskyatnight Mon 31-Dec-12 13:34:06

Is this their oldest grandchild? I think grandparents tend to forget what "normal" is and also not to understand how times have changed.

My parents went on and on about DS still being in nappies so "late". In fact he was out of nappies by 2y2m old. He is their oldest grandchild. By the time they'd had 5 more grandchildren - all of whom were out of nappies much later they had worked out to keep their mouths shut.

manchester04 Mon 31-Dec-12 14:55:50

Dd is the oldest. She is the golden girl who was dry day and night by 3. This is of course the same mil who told ds that daddy and auntie d were dry at 18 months. This was when he was 4 and still having accidents during day.

Colliewollydoodle Mon 31-Dec-12 18:05:42

Do you know, I wouldn't even get into a conversation with them about it. It's none of their business , and if they are bitchy enough to make comments like that you really don't want to share that sort of personal information. Don't lose sleep about them, you know how you feel about the situation and that's all that counts.
Gosh some people !

Chottie Mon 31-Dec-12 18:12:26

Please don't let them get to you. I used to do the 'lifting technique' with my children too.

I think your ILs should butt out and stop being so unsupportive. There, I can't believe I said that! smile (but I did and I meant it too)

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Mon 31-Dec-12 18:30:26

YANBU god I hate it when people say stuff like this! Not only is it NOT going to help getting a small child out of pull ups there just is no need for it at all. It's totally normal for a child this age to still not be dry at night. Having a 4 year old who is dry or not dry at night is no proof of how good or bad a parent is or how advanced the child is.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Mon 31-Dec-12 18:34:01

And yes my MIL also raved on about how she got her DD dry at 12 months old hmm apparently this proves she is to motherhood what David Beckham is to football.

IGNORE. Potty training etc is a horrendously competitive sport as far as I can see, almost on a par with walking. I had a friend who set her heart on having her daughter out of nappies full stop before she was 18 months old - whenever she came to visit she was laden with spare clothes, potties and nappies and could never settle down as she was running after her child either with the potty or dry clothes. It was an absolute nightmare having her round in the end. She was disparaging of my very laid back attitude about DS3 who I didn't even start waving a potty at until he was 2, and when he wasn't interested left it for another 6 months. However, once he'd decided nappies weren't for him we were done and dusted in a few weeks.......

None of their business, you carry on doing what suits your family best!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now