Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Why Un Mumsnet hugs???

(47 Posts)
Clarabell78 Sun 30-Dec-12 14:30:11

Aren't you supposed to give hugs on here?? I don't understand!

ShowOfHands Sun 30-Dec-12 15:24:55

I married into a family of huggers. And kissers. And declarers. They say I love you all the blooming time. I can't say it back at all. I manage a fond "well done" and then back the fuck away.

fragola Sun 30-Dec-12 15:28:16

I've given a hug or two on here. Never really lived it down.

Iamsparklyknickers Sun 30-Dec-12 15:33:43

grin Well done!

<pisses knickers slightly>

usualsuspect3 Sun 30-Dec-12 15:34:38

Theres alway been sneaky hugs on MN for as long as I've been here.

OverlyYappyAlways Sun 30-Dec-12 15:43:21

My family know not to hit me with the love talk, they have moved onto dying talk now hmm, they know I don't like to be touch much! I blame it on my first pregnancy, someone touched my tummy! angry

amillionyears Sun 30-Dec-12 15:45:57

Hug hug hug

amillionyears Sun 30-Dec-12 15:47:58

As an aside, are the young people much more gushing than the middle aged generation all over the country or just in the area I live in [not saying where]

ArkadyRose Sun 30-Dec-12 15:48:01

Another non-hugger here. I've been known to slap away unwanted pawing hands on occasion. I just don't understand people who feel this bizarre urge to be touching all the time.

everlong Sun 30-Dec-12 15:48:28

You can do want you want OP.

I actually cringe when see the quote ' un mumsnetty hug ' hate it.

If you want to hug someone do it. I do. Couldn't give a toss if it's naff or not ((((((((( hugs ))))))))))) wink

usualsuspect3 Sun 30-Dec-12 15:49:53

My DS hugs all his friend all the time.

I think it's lovely.

VestaCurry Sun 30-Dec-12 15:50:58

When I returned to Mumsnet after not being on here for about 6 years, I was actually sad that ((hugs)) had become unmumsnetty (we used to hug a lot, didn't like sparkly tickertapey stuff but a good old hug was fine). And....I was truly shock and still am about the word 'cunt' being used everywhere. Honestly, it's awful, but I haven't left in a huff because of it grin.

Was there some sort of 'cunt' watershed in my absence and when was it?

usualsuspect3 Sun 30-Dec-12 15:50:58

Friends

OverlyYappyAlways Sun 30-Dec-12 15:56:59

Oh I love seeing my boys hug every night before bed, then hug me that's okay and makes all mushy and nice every night, after a day of fighting usually!

I need to be a bit more approachable tbh! hug wise...

everlong Sun 30-Dec-12 16:18:36

People try too hard on here.

Just be yourself. Not what you think you should be like.

Some people on here are posting from a dire, totally shit situation.
A hug from one of us might help them a bit. Knowing someone is arsed.

Lueji Sun 30-Dec-12 16:19:03

There are usually enough hugs on Relationships, for some reason. smile

Not so much on AIBU.

thegreylady Sun 30-Dec-12 17:46:31

What is a sparkly ticker please?
I dont do lols,huns or bubs but have been known to offer the occasional cyber hug though rarely on here-you never know when a vipeer will strike if you get touchy feely with it grin

everlong Sun 30-Dec-12 18:39:44

A sparkly ticker is a thing a the bottom of your page with your name on and maybe something saying ' lil bubz is 3 yrs 8 months 6 days etc ' or whatever in a cute bright cartoon thing..

SugaricePlumFairy Sun 30-Dec-12 19:18:42

What a load of fuckin shite!

I gave a mahoosive hug on another thread to someone who really needed it!

I hugged hard and I'm proud.

Bite me !!!!!!! grin

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Sun 30-Dec-12 19:19:48

Hugs are fine on the SN board. TBH, on a supportive board they are often needed. I never excuse them if I (((hug))).

everlong Sun 30-Dec-12 19:22:03

Yep the bereavement board is another one where hugs are welcome.

OneWellAndTrulyCrackeredMummy Mon 31-Dec-12 10:49:37

A sparkly ticker is an automated thing that appears if you have a signature (on other sites). Its usually a long line with a photo of child or cutesy drawing of child with wording along the lines of 'Little Man is 2 years, 4 months, 21 days, 8 hours, 7 minutes 3 seconds old'. There is usually glitter involved along with other dreadful 'so cute' drawings or animation & they are eye catching & hard to ignore!

AmberLeaf Mon 31-Dec-12 10:56:40

I don't mind hugs, I do feel a bit silly writing it down and even sillier writing 'unmumsnetty hug' though.

It's just a way to show you care, Not a sign of weakness!

I like real life hugs, but not from everyone you meet.

(((((everyone)))))

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now